2nd Guessing the Vazquez Trade

chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
The Hard Ball Times lauds Young for his increasing contact rate, flawless CF defense, and steady power and patience at the plate. They argue as a premium CF, he might be baseball's most valuable prospect.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/...at-chris-young/

Those projections for 2007 hurt to look at...250/330/500 with 21SB

Wanna know whats even worse.

Before last season even started, PECOTA saw Young as the NL's 5th best CF acccorind to VORP.

BEFORE LAST YEAR.

We f***ed up.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 06:53 PM)
The thing about Young is that he's essentially Mike Cameron except with the potential to be better. A gold-glove worthy CF that smacks around 25 homers and gets on base at a decent clip and steals some bases is damn hard to find. Chris Young has the potential to be that player as soon as next year and will probably be a very good players for the next 10 years.

I was against the trade at the time and I'm still against it. Young might not be the best pure hitting prospect in all of baseball but as a valuable CF I think he might just be the surest bet for a good career.

Oh there's no doubt I love what Young brings to the table. He's an extremely valuable ballplayer who will almost constantly be undervalued by most. GG defense and an .850-.900 OPS is solid as hell though.

All I was really arguing was the fact that he was the best all-around prospect in the baseball. It's all arbitrary, but that's just a bit of a ridiculous statement.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
Wanna know whats even worse.

Before last season even started, PECOTA saw Young as the NL's 5th best CF acccorind to VORP.

BEFORE LAST YEAR.

We f***ed up.

Ay jesus. Wait till we trade a starter and then we can START evaluating the Vazquez trade but we're not going to know who won this trade for a long time. It's very, very premature to start b****ing about this deal.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
Too early??????

There are already b****ing about deals Kenny HASN'T MADE YET, so this seems about right.

Tony remember the immortal soxtalk rule, if you havent made at least 2 blockbuster deals by Turkey day the offseason is a failure. Maybe someone can ask KW again at soxfest. So now that 2007 is over, how are we going to get better for 2008.

:)

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
From the sounds around here if Zona could have traded Vas for a bag of balls they would have been happy. He burned a lot of bridges around here and he is in competition with Johnny Estrada for most hated former player.

I hate you, Bham. lol. When you put it like that, it sounds as if we could've gotten Vaz without having to give up a top 15-20 prospect.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
I hate you, Bham. lol. When you put it like that, it sounds as if we could've gotten Vaz without having to give up a top 15-20 prospect.

At that point I think so. I didn't even know that AZ/Det had a deal in place that would have netted Zuyma (sp?) and Bonderman but Vas rejected it. I guess it really miffed the management when a player in there first year with a team demands a trade but then limits the teams to a handful. A lot of teams were rooting for Tigers down here just to rub it in to Vasquez. I overheard one of the scouts at the AFL scottsdale game that when Jerry Owens came up to bat that "we almost had him instead" what ever that means.

hated the deal when it went down.

hated it last season.

hate it today.

And I'll hate it tomorrow.

Vaz wasn't that much better than Duque.

we weakened the pen by giving away Vizcaino's rubber arm.

And we just walked away from our best prospect.

We paid wayyyyyyyyy too much -- which remains Kenny Williams' number one weakness as a general manager.

If he wants somebody he'll give the other team too much in return.