Houston not the only team after Garland

beck72

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 05:31 AM)
I know this was a MAJOR problem for Vaz at about the June - July period, and this is when I think most Sox fans started to hate the guy and wanted him shipped out of town.

But in August he had an 3.41 ERA and in September a 3.82 ERA, which yes are small sample sizes, but it gives me hope that he started to "get it" in terms of what he needs to do to be successful.

I mean in those 2 months, he only gave up more than 4ER once in 11 starts. If he can show that type of consistency for more than a couple of months next season, he'll be a VERY good pitcher for us, I have no doubts about that.

I mean 50 K's in 5 September starts, the Sox don't really have a strikeout guy who can really dominate like that (unless Contreras is actually K'ing people when he's hot).

Here's a question...how much of this is AJ's pitch calling? Is AJ calling the wrong pitch or is Vaz not putting it in the right spot? I can't remember right now, but does Vaz shake off a lot of pitches? Does it even make a difference?

And SinkingShip...I understand you were talking about McCarthy as #4 and someone else as #5, but again, we still need to trust our system and scouts at some point. Whether they saw something in Floyd or think Haeger or Phillips can do it, the Sox need to try. Just because you don't want to see it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
Here's a question...how much of this is AJ's pitch calling? Is AJ calling the wrong pitch or is Vaz not putting it in the right spot? I can't remember right now, but does Vaz shake off a lot of pitches? Does it even make a difference?

And SinkingShip...I understand you were talking about McCarthy as #4 and someone else as #5, but again, we still need to trust our system and scouts at some point. Whether they saw something in Floyd or think Haeger or Phillips can do it, the Sox need to try. Just because you don't want to see it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Vaz does shake off a lot of pitches. Sometimes he outthinks himself. However on some of the big dongs that Vaz gave up last year, like in Detroit, AJ called the pitch, however Vaz hung it. If a good pitch is hit, then you can blame the pitch calling. When a pitch is hung over the middle of the plate its entirely on the pitcher.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
I find it ironic that a person who has dedicated many a closed thread on conspiracy theories linked to a certain newspaper quotes a columnist from that newspaper.

hey, lets not let the fact that i've been attributed to many an exposed theory ruin the fact that hey, the writer was there and thats what he had to say about the whole affair. I thought it was interesting that he could be more candid talking about US vs what he could say talking about them

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
[

So far, we've dealt Garcia and Cotts, and gotten back good returns. Plus we've re-signed or extended MacDougal, Gload and Ozuna. What about those deals suggests rebuilding to you?

Nothing-if you are the Royals

heh heh

QUOTE(scenario @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 01:48 AM)
And your basing that on... what?

Got some facts to go with that opinion?

See stats in the table above. Don't just pick out wins/losses since we both know that for the majority of his career Javy pitched for crap teams, so the W/L record alone doesn't mean squat.

Career ERA of 4.34, even with his two incredible seasons in Montreal. Career record of 100-105. He's sucked both years he pitched in the AL, also. We're unfortunately in the AL, not in the garbage division that was the NL East when he pitched there.

Ooh, he strikes out a lot of guys. Wowie! So does Kerry Wood.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Career ERA of 4.34, even with his two incredible seasons in Montreal. Career record of 100-105. He's sucked both years he pitched in the AL, also. We're unfortunately in the AL, not in the garbage division that was the NL East when he pitched there.

It gets really frustrating when people argue both sides of the fence to advocate their positions. So Vazquez sucks because of his 100-105 career record, while Freddy still sucks because of his 116-71 record. What the hell sense does that make?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)

Anyone who uses "Wowie" in a post needs to be immediately baninnated!

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
It gets really frustrating when people argue both sides of the fence to advocate their positions. So Vazquez sucks because of his 100-105 career record, while Freddy still sucks because of his 116-71 record. What the hell sense does that make?

Freddy Garcia has a 4.01 career ERA, pitching exclusively in the AL. What the f*** are you talking about?

Freddy sucked last year, yes. Vazquez has been an overrated piece of trash basically his entire career.

Theres 3 things I like about Javy:

1) He does a good job keeping them in the game when Ozzie doesnt leave him in too long.

2) You know he's gonna get his 200+ innings every year

3) Say what you want about him but he's on the mound every 5th start and will start 33-34 games every year. He stays healthy.

Personally I would'nt trade him yet. He has too good of stuff to be this bad forever.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Rosenthal from fox sports said that the rangers are looking to trade for young pitching. They must not be too impressed with thier own prospects. Maybe that's one deal we should not consider.

Or maybe the Rangers realize after 364236364 years that they'll never win jack with the horses*** that has been their pitching staff the last 10 years or so?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
Rosenthal from fox sports said that the rangers are looking to trade for young pitching. They must not be too impressed with thier own prospects. Maybe that's one deal we should not consider.

Within a couple of years, the entire core of the Rangers offense right now will be hitting Free Agency...Teixeira, Young, and Blalock. Tex, notably, hits after 2008, and the odds are by then he's going to be looking for an almost-ARod type deal, with Boras as his agent. The Rangers have a short window with this offense, and will almost certainly not have enough time to actually develop starting pitching if they want to make a run at that division.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
Within a couple of years, the entire core of the Rangers offense right now will be hitting Free Agency...Teixeira, Young, and Blalock. Tex, notably, hits after 2008, and the odds are by then he's going to be looking for an almost-ARod type deal, with Boras as his agent. The Rangers have a short window with this offense, and will almost certainly not have enough time to actually develop starting pitching if they want to make a run at that division.

True. However, the article said YOUNG pitching not established pitching. I don't know if it really means anything it just seemed odd that they are looking for pitching while alot of people on this board seem to want thiers. I just don't know enough about their minors to make an educated judgement.