true or false

Hideaway Lights

If the white sox make no more moves in the offseason, they will win the AL Central, even if Detroit wins 90+ games.

I vote false. I am scared of going through Garland-like growing pains with B-Mac, which are very likely to happen. Very few starters come in and have instant season-long success at the major league level. Vazquez can't pitch in the AL, imo. Everyone else was inconsistent in '05. I have no idea what their plans are for Gavin Floyd.

We'll score enough again, but will we pitch well enough? No, not as is.

This team is looking like an 86 game winner at this point. Somebody reassure me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still need a 4th outfielder and a leadoff man (or a good year from Pods) IMO.

That said, there is still time for KW to make some small moves to tinker with the club.

I like our pitching and our bullpen will also be a lot better.

Right now I still like Detroit and I also think Cleveland will be much improved. Losing Liriano will really hurt Minnesota and I don't think Cuddyer can have the same year in 2007 that he had in 2006.

Ask me after February and I'll have a better answer.

I also vote false. We will score enough runs but it is the pitching that concerns me. I don't think Bmac will turn into the starting pitcher that Freddy Garcia was for us right away, maybe in a year or so he may but not right away. Only KW knows what is planned for Gavin Floyd. I agree with the hideaway's on Vazquez.

Edited by whitesox1976

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Cleveland is the team I worry about the most. They actually scored more runs and gave up less than the White Sox in 2006. I think they are ready to be very good again.

i agree....minnesota is going to have a tough time finding quality innings with no more radke and no liriano...i have to think guys like garza baker and bonser need another year to be horses to led minny to the playoffs behind johan...detroit i think will regress with guys like rogers and robertson and the entire bullpen having the "come back to this world" effect that the 06 white sox saw....if clevelands pen holds up i think they will be our biggest competition.

It will be interesting to see how Detroit does in 06. Their good guys in their bullpen were shot by the end of the season and now they've lost Walker. Their offense will still be good, that's for sure.

Minnie always surprises so I wouldn't be shocked if they held steady during the beginning of the season and made some moves at the deadline and make their usual 2nd half run. As long as their rotation stays above water they will be there.

Tribe has a good rotation and a good offense. Lets see how their bullpen holds up and how some rooks do.

As for us, upgraded bullpen and a few minor additions, but it all depends on our rotation. Lets see what happens with our OF too.

This division will definitely be a fight throughout the whole season.

I would even consider slotting BMac into that 4th spot to start the season and continue to have Vazquez to pitch against the opposing 4th or 5th starters. We all have to remember also that Javy ended the year strong and didn't get the run support he needed to win. I think in his last 5 or 6 outtings he pitched very well but got limited run support. But that was the story of the 2006 White Sox, when something was going great, something else would go extremely bad to counter the great. The fact of the matter is, the team to beat in the Central has to be the defending AL CHamps: Detroit. With them getting Sheffield, and with there starting pitching they will be scary. Lets also not forget Cleveland's up and coming team, or how can we count out the Minnesota Pirahnas? Even with Radke's retirement and Liriano's season ending injury, they will have enough depth in the farm to cpmpete for the division. Lets not forget that they also have an MVP in Morneau a CY Young in Santana and a batting champion in Muaur.

I really don't like to predict, but i do know one thing for certain, the AL Central is by far the best in baseball. It very well could be a 4 team race all season long.

Here are some reasons why the Sox will win more than 86 games:

- The Sox bullpen is improved from 2006, which should add to the win total by a couple of games

- Hall as the backup catcher should be a huge improvement over Alomar/Widger

- Mackowiak not in Center should save a few games

- Buehrle will return to at least career norms (contract year)

- B-Mac should be able to match Garcia's output in 2006

- Thome will be 18+ months removed from surgery

- Pods can't get much worse, so either he comes back improved in 2007 or someone else does in his place (Sweeney)

With the addition of Ross Gload, I predict the Royals win 103 games and the division crown. Then lose to the Sox (who won the wildcard) in the ALCS. Sox win the Series.

:gosox1: :D

Honestly, our pitching staff is pretty close to where I'd want to see it at this point - maybe one more good reliever will do it. We need a better LF and leadoff hitter (ideally one and the same). Other than that, I think the team is pretty much good to go. All of KW's moves so far have been positive for the team. But let's see what the team looks like in March.

What about the White Sox bullpen? Adding Aardsma and Sisco perhaps improves it dramatically? Sisco may be in Charlotte. Boone Logan may be in Chicago. How do we know Thornton will continue to have success? It seems to me all the guys that Coop fixes, seem to fall back a little the following season. Loaisa, Cotts, Contreras. Jenks was mostly good, but had his moments. The bullpen really concerns me. KW has not added anyone who has much of a track record of major league success there this offseason.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
What about the White Sox bullpen? Adding Aardsma and Sisco perhaps improves it dramatically? Sisco may be in Charlotte. Boone Logan may be in Chicago. How do we know Thornton will continue to have success? It seems to me all the guys that Coop fixes, seem to fall back a little the following season. Loaisa, Cotts, Contreras. Jenks was mostly good, but had his moments. The bullpen really concerns me. KW has not added anyone who has much of a track record of major league success there this offseason.

Well, I'd say Contreras fell back because of injury, not Coop's coaching. And the difference between Cotts/Loaiza and Thornton is that Matt throws 97 mph, which is something that's always gonna be hard to hit coming from a lefty.

Also, we'll start this year with MacDougal in the pen. He was only there for half the season in 2006.

I really do wish that KW would get another quality reliever before the season starts, though.

There are a lot of variables to this question. Its definitely possible though, so thats a good start. If some of our pitchers can return to 05 form. If Thome and Crede stay healthy. If Anderson improves the way Garland and Crede have in our system, then absolutely. We will also be set up ok down the road for a few years to come. IMO

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Well, I'd say Contreras fell back because of injury, not Coop's coaching. And the difference between Cotts/Loaiza and Thornton is that Matt throws 97 mph, which is something that's always gonna be hard to hit coming from a lefty.

Also, we'll start this year with MacDougal in the pen. He was only there for half the season in 2006.

I really do wish that KW would get another quality reliever before the season starts, though.

Plus, not having Cliff Politte should improve the pen greatly, no matter how terrible he was last year Ozzie just could not wait to throw him back out there in pressure situations.

White Sox 96 wins

Buehrle and bullpen back to '05 form, Contreras great for 1/2 year and okay for 1/2 just like '05/'06, Garland in '06 form, Vasquez better than '06 but not as good as late stretch run when he was pretty solid, McCarthy better overall year than Garcia but not the dominant stretch at end of year plus an injury mid-season requiring starts from Gavin Floyd).

Cleveland 91 wins

Bullpen woes but strong starters and solid run-producing lineup

Detroit 87 wins

Predict some injuries this year (Rogers without pinetar, Verlander) and defensive issues

Minnesota 82 wins

No Liriano and Radke but good bullpen and they always play hard

KC 50 wins

They suck and will continue (Ross Gload: 300 plate appearances!!!!)

I think the White Sox should win 90+ games barring injury. Pods is playing for his career, Anderson too. Dye, Uribe, Iguchi and Buehrle are in contract years. Vaz has something to prove. Hall is a huge upgrade over the Widge and Sandy (although I kinda hope Sandy retires and coaches the C's in the minors). Garland will have a chip on his shoulder.

1. White Sox

2. Detroit

3. Cleveland

4. Minnesota

5. KC (but I think they may hit the 70 win mark this year)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KW has not added anyone who has much of a track record of major league success there this offseason.

That's because those guys are called "closers" and they command $10 million per year. I don't even recall any healthy closers on the market this year.

Overpaying for bullpen help is very stupid. Relievers are too unreliable from year to year (Politte, Cotts, Marte, Shingo) and even if you do find somebody good, you're going to be paying them $5 million per year to throw 60 innings.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
That's because those guys are called "closers" and they command $10 million per year. I don't even recall any healthy closers on the market this year.

Overpaying for bullpen help is very stupid. Relievers are too unreliable from year to year (Politte, Cotts, Marte, Shingo) and even if you do find somebody good, you're going to be paying them $5 million per year to throw 60 innings.

So then, how can you say the White Sox bullpen is anything but a question mark?

The question you have to ask yourself is what do you expect from our rotation next year. Thats the answer to our 2007 season. If the guys like Buehrle, Contreras, and McCarthy have bad ERA's and can get outs like sometimes last year we are screwed. But I would expect them to put up more consisten #'s around their career averages, especially Buehrle in his walk year. Vazquez is tricky I think he can be dominant and he can also implode. It seems to me he got a little predictable and didnt mix it up enoguh last year and thats why he got hurt. When he figured it out, Aug to Sept, he was damn good. I dont think you will see vazquez struggle as badly as he did last year. You should expect the rotation not to be as good as 05, but not as awful as 06. That being said we won 90 games in 06. So factor in our top notch lineup and Id say we have a good chance to take the division with 90+ wins......granted we stay healthy of course.

False. Last year we won 90 games and managed 3rd place. Next year, the division is going to be just as good. Detroit will be down some, but Cleveland will be better. Minnesota will be good again. If the team doesn't improve its talent level over the 2006 team (and it hasn't), one should not expect different results.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
False. Last year we won 90 games and managed 3rd place. Next year, the division is going to be just as good. Detroit will be down some, but Cleveland will be better. Minnesota will be good again. If the team doesn't improve its talent level over the 2006 team (and it hasn't), one should not expect different results.

If by "one" you mean me, I disagree.

If by "one" you mean you, then more power to you. It must be tough going through life as a pessimist.