Some thoughts on the trades so far

rowand's rowdies

With all the prospects we have, I would make the knuckleballer our fifth starter.

And if I was Boone Logan, I'd be working on correspondence courses to get my college

degree, assuming he has none.

Cause I hope to never see that guy pitch in Cell Field ever again.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 02:21 AM)
With all the prospects we have, I would make the knuckleballer our fifth starter.

And if I was Boone Logan, I'd be working on correspondence courses to get my college

degree, assuming he has none.

Cause I hope to never see that guy pitch in Cell Field ever again.

I for one think Boone Logan is gonna be damn good. I've seen enough 'flashes' from him to come to my conclusion. The stuff is there.

I think the Garcia deal stinks unless Floyd somehow becomes good. I doubt it. I say that Haeger beats him out for the 5h spot.

However, all these deals look good if Aardsma, Sisco, Floyd, Gio, Danks and Masset ALL turn out to be good pitchers. Is that realistic ?

I love the pitching depth and the bullpen could be really good but....what if some of these guys don't pan out ? Isn't that reasonable to expect ? I guess Kenny could go out and spend some money in that event.

I'm waiting to see what he does about the outfield. That should be interesting.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
Texas is, to my eyes, now officially a major threat to win the American League the next 2 years. I essentially disagree with every single reason given for accepting the McCarthy deal in this post.

I can live with the Garcia deal. It makes sense. The McCarthy deal does not.

Who will be our Left handed starter? We have 2 candidates in Gio and Philipps hanging out at AAA already.

I'm sorry, I don't see how you can call Texas a real threat to do anything. You're talking about a team that won 80 games last year and probably has a net loss of talent so far this off-season. They lost Gary Matthews Jr., who was a major factor for them last year, Carlos Lee, which is absolutely huge even though they only had him hald the year, and two other regular contributors to the lineup in Mark De Rosa and Rod Barajas. Plus the only real additions they made are B-Mac, Kenny Lofton, and Eric Gagne.

How can you really call them a threat when their rotation doesn't have a #1 or #2 starter? How can you say that a rotation of Kevin Millwood, Vincente Padilla, Brandon McCarthy, Robinson Tejada, and Edison Volquez (or whomever else they use) is a playoff-caliber rotation, especially when they no longer have a dominant offense? Their pen will definitely be stronger with Gagne, but that rotation is a huge liability, and their lineup is really only decent and lacks punch after Blalock.

I'd really love to hear how they are going to beat the Angels and/or win the wild card with that rotation...

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm sorry, I don't see how you can call Texas a real threat to do anything. You're talking about a team that won 80 games last year and probably has a net loss of talent so far this off-season. They lost Gary Matthews Jr., who was a major factor for them last year, Carlos Lee, which is absolutely huge even though they only had him hald the year, and two other regular contributors to the lineup in Mark De Rosa and Rod Barajas. Plus the only real additions they made are B-Mac, Kenny Lofton, and Eric Gagne.

How can you really call them a threat when their rotation doesn't have a #1 or #2 starter? How can you say that a rotation of Kevin Millwood, Vincente Padilla, Brandon McCarthy, Robinson Tejada, and Edison Volquez (or whomever else they use) is a playoff-caliber rotation, especially when they no longer have a dominant offense? Their pen will definitely be stronger with Gagne, but that rotation is a huge liability, and their lineup is really only decent and lacks punch after Blalock.

I'd really love to hear how they are going to beat the Angels and/or win the wild card with that rotation...

Couple other things on Texas though. Yes they lost Matthews Jr., which hurts them. But they also last year got fairly poor years all-around from Teixeira and Young compared to what they are capable of. They also get another year of work from that Jason Botts kid who I like, and Ian Kinsler.

I think Texas is in really good shape next year, personally.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
Texas is, to my eyes, now officially a major threat to win the American League the next 2 years.

Because of McCarthy...Mmmmmkay. I may be wrong...but I think you overvalue McCarthy a little Balta. Texas has always has the horsepower at the plate to compete...but their pitching has really sucked bad. I can't see McCarthy all of a sudden pushing them to the forefront.

I was happy to see Ganja Garcia hit the road with his blazing fastball but the BMAC deal baffles me. Now, barring any further moves we're all set up for the 5th starter roulette wheel that cost us so many games back in 2004. I dont like the idea of throwing an unproven rookie into the rotation like that and hoping that he comes through.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
There may very well be another starting pitcher traded and I still think the Sox staff is looking strong and we will compete for #1 in 2007.

There's no way in hell another starter can be traded now. Not unless Kenny was lying out his ass about trying to win it all in '07.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
There's no way in hell another starter can be traded now. Not unless Kenny was lying out his ass about trying to win it all in '07.

Unless he's talking about a young arm--not one of the 4 vet SP's. KW said as much about those 4 not going anywhere after the Danks deal.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
There may very well be another starting pitcher traded and I still think the Sox staff is looking strong and we will compete for #1 in 2007.

If you're talking about Broadway or Gio, I agree, they could be moved in the right deal [such as for Baldelli]. But KW said the 4 vets aren't going anywhere.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Unless he's talking about a young arm--not one of the 4 vet SP's. KW said as much about those 4 not going anywhere after the Danks deal.

If you're talking about Broadway or Gio, I agree, they could be moved in the right deal [such as for Baldelli]. But KW said the 4 vets aren't going anywhere.

I am only stating my suspicions and not advocating a trade or saying it will happen. KW also said McCarthy wouldn't be traded. Anything is possible and with the other teasm needing pitching so badly they might pay a real premium for one of our guys. So the potential is there

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
However, all these deals look good if Aardsma, Sisco, Floyd, Gio, Danks and Masset ALL turn out to be good pitchers. Is that realistic ?

I love the pitching depth and the bullpen could be really good but....what if some of these guys don't pan out ? Isn't that reasonable to expect ? I guess Kenny could go out and spend some money in that event.

What I don't get is how we are realistically going to sort through all our prospects vying for the fifth spot in any reasonable amount of time. What happens if the chosen #5 goes out and has two bad starts? Do we bring in the second #5? And then what if he has a bad start? I realize this may not happen but of course the #5 guy is going to be on a shorter leash than everyone else. And spring training is great but how much can we learn? I would hate to see the entire season turn into one long audition for 2008.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 04:36 AM)

That doesn't seem too likely. I'll put it this way: according to the Sporting News, Tampa turned down Brett Myers and demanded either Cole Hamels or Chase Utley for Baldelli.

Tampa is still being insane about their demands, they'd probably want at least Danks and another starting pitching prospect from us, if we're even a fit.

QUOTE(dwalteroo @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
What I don't get is how we are realistically going to sort through all our prospects vying for the fifth spot in any reasonable amount of time. What happens if the chosen #5 goes out and has two bad starts? Do we bring in the second #5? And then what if he has a bad start? I realize this may not happen but of course the #5 guy is going to be on a shorter leash than everyone else. And spring training is great but how much can we learn? I would hate to see the entire season turn into one long audition for 2008.

I just hope our organizatoin shows some patience with whomever they decide is best suited to be our 5th starter. We need to realize you can't judge a guy based on just two or three starts and that you need to give him time to make adjustments and either develop into a guy you deem a keeper or show that he's either not ready or will never make it.

It should be noted that I am not saying we just continue to roll a guy out there to get shelled because I think relatively quickly you can find out if a player is mature or ready for the majors. Plus you should also be able to see him succeed in some small sample during his first couple outings (something that shows us that he can come through/deliver).

By the way, welcome aboard.