5 things you don't know about me

southsider2k5

Hm, here's another 5:

1.) I am a direct descendant of Jefferson Davis

2.) On the other side of my family, Calvin Coolidge is a cousin

3.) I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky.

4.) My paternal grandfather was invited to try out for the Washington Redskins, my maternal grandfather for the Cardinals (neither took the offer because of either money or family reasons).

5.) Glasgow is my favorite city outside of the US.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. I have met two posters in real life, AbeForman and LosMediaBlancos.

4. I am a european bond trader.

3. I almost went to University of Kentucky for college instead of Ohio State.

2. I have been to over 30 OSU football games so far in my life.

1. I like the TV show SuperNaturals on the WB.

5 more, just to keep this going...

5. I have been on the floor of every major trading floor in Chicago

4. I got to see the new version of the Space Shuttle heat tiles months before the rest of the world, at age 8.

3. My mom met my all-time favorite baseball player, while taking care of his mom in the hospital... and had no idea who he was.

2. I have been to NCAA basketball final four's for both division I and division III.

1. I kept secret the story of how my brother actually got a big gaping cut in the back of his head and needed 15 stitches at age 2 for about 25 years.

1) I'm not really left handed

2) I hooked up with my friends younger sister and ruined our friendship (totally worth it)

3) I quoted the golden rule to a kid right before i punched him right in the face and knocked him out

4) I've only flown through Chicago but have seen the sox play in Phily and houston

5) Was in a car that ran into a pedestrian at 35 mph

1. I'm a 21-year-old Junior at Indiana University majoring in Germanic Studies, International Studies, and Economics. Yes, all three. I'm also a student at Albert-Ludwigs Universitaet Freiburg.

2. My Great Uncle was deported from Ireland for being in the IRA.

3. I had a birth defect that led to my lung partially deflating. It was awesome.

4. I've seen the catacombs under Stefansdom in Vienna, Austria.

5. I'ver interviewed a bunch of major league players (McCarthy, Majewski, Sweeney, etc.) and future ones as well (Broadway, Haigwood).

5 more...

5.) I have seen the Northern Lights in Alaska.

4.) My mom is good friends with Kendall Gill and Ernie Banks.

3.) I was interviewed on CLTV in the 7th grade when I attended a mock-trial from "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

2.) I threw a no-hitter against Julian in the season opener my junior year of High School.

1.) My first Sox game was a Sox/A's game at Comiskey Park in which Mark L. Johnson hit the game winning home run.

Edited by SoxFan1

Just cause I'm bored...

1. When I was in jr. high I took what was being called a "computer class" at one of the local factories in Rockford. They made parts for the military stealth bombers. So we made a canoe paddle out of the same material. It couldn't be detected on radar.

2. I once pitched 14 innings in a fast-pitch softball game. I don't remember if we won or lost.

3. I have a Husky named Nunook. I picked the breed and the name because of the movie "The Lost Boys".

4. I got blood poisoning when I was 5 or 6. I got this huge splinter in my hand that didn't want to come out. So I went to school with it still in my hand and while I was in class, I dropped my pencil. When I went to pick it up, another kid stepped on the eraser end, causing the pointy end to go right into where the splinter was. Worst pain of my life.

5. I've never gotten rid of a single video game system or game. I still own (and play) Atari, Odessey, NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2. My kids have a Gameboy color, Gameboy Advance, DS, N64 and Gamecube.

6. I never got to see the original Comiskey Park in person. My first game was in 1991.

7. I became a Sox fan largely because of a Cubs fan. When we'd play baseball on my previously mentioned NES, he'd always pick the Cubs. I wanted to be a "local" team so I'd pick the Sox. My interest grew from there.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
lol, can a regular canoe paddle be detected on radar?

I remember watching a special about the stealth bomber that said a bird has a larger radar signature than the bomber, so I guess it makes sense that you could pick up a paddle....

Next 5 for myself:

1. I dated a movie star (Granted..she played Molly Ringwald's younger sister in 16 candles and was 6 at the time but hey...it counts).

2. At SIU in 1989, i met a pre-famous Jenny McCarthy at a party. Later at same party....she got drunk and flashed about 20 of us. Sorry to say....pre-implants too :crying

3. I'm allergic to cats

4. On my honeymoon my new wife and I ran into Garth Brooks in downtown Nashville

5. I dislocated both my shoulders playing sand-lot football in high school

In a nutshell.....i was working at a radio station. King was to be a guest of the afternoon jock and i thought it was a phone interview not a walk-in. i was subbing for one of the morning hosts when the morning jock asked "What scares Stephen King???" (He was reading from some newspaper article) and without missing a beat (or knowing King was listening) i said "A good long look in the mirror!!!"

We got a big laugh out of that until King called the radio station. We went back and forth for a while. of course i thought it was someone from the station playing a prank building up to his interview later that day.

After we went to a commercial, i picked up the phone and he called me every name in the book and killed the interview that afternoon. I caught hell for a few weeks after that one, but i can say i got chewed out on and off the air by one of my favorite writers.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
I remember watching a special about the stealth bomber that said a bird has a larger radar signature than the bomber, so I guess it makes sense that you could pick up a paddle....

*Blip* *Blip*

Sarge! Come Quickly! Something on the radar!

*Blip* *Blip*

Good Work Private... you've found the missing Paddle from the Sam Houston State University Chapter of the Psi Epsilon Theta fraternity.

1) I have ran two marathons in my life

2) I am a broadcast journalism student at the University of Missouri hoping to be a sports radio host

3) I plan to get an MBA after college regardless of my radio future

4) I go to Mizzou, but care much more about Illinois' sports teams

5) I watch way too much Seinfeld and literally can quote entire episodes

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)

Any material that is solid will reflect radar energy. That actually winds up being one of the problems with radar...once you get down near the altitude where people and animals actually live at, everything winds up having a radar signature, things with lots of right angles even more so. Usually the problem is so bad that radar operators just ignore the area below a few hundred feet, give or take the system. This of course provides a useful opening, if, for example, you happen to be an Israeli pilot in 1967 trying to bomb the Hell out of Egypt's air force.

More modern techniques of radar are attempting to employ computers to isolate planes in all the noise, probably works pretty well by now, but it's not easy.

QUOTE(juddling @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In a nutshell.....i was working at a radio station. King was to be a guest of the afternoon jock and i thought it was a phone interview not a walk-in. i was subbing for one of the morning hosts when the morning jock asked "What scares Stephen King???" (He was reading from some newspaper article) and without missing a beat (or knowing King was listening) i said "A good long look in the mirror!!!"

We got a big laugh out of that until King called the radio station. We went back and forth for a while. of course i thought it was someone from the station playing a prank building up to his interview later that day.

After we went to a commercial, i picked up the phone and he called me every name in the book and killed the interview that afternoon. I caught hell for a few weeks after that one, but i can say i got chewed out on and off the air by one of my favorite writers.

That's pretty good. I imagine King was clever enough to say something about you "having a face for radio" or something along those lines.

I once used a pick up line like that on a popular Chicago DJ..........and it worked. ;)

1. I attended the inaugural Sleepover night at Comiskey Park and slept in left field. The next day the grass was discolored because of my airmatress.

2. I'm 18 and have never smoked anything or drank an alcoholic beverage.

3. I got a 4.65 GPA this semester.

4. I'm a senior at Valpo High School, and will most likely be attending Butler University next fall.

5. I tore my labrum in my throwing shoulder as a result of throwing too hard after the umpire missed a call at third base. I was pissed off. Over two years later, I still can't throw a baseball over 90 feet as a result.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)

Good for you. Really. :)

5. I tore my labrum in my throwing shoulder as a result of throwing too hard after the umpire missed a call at third base. I was pissed off. Over two years later, I still can't throw a baseball over 90 feet as a result.

I've ripped a bunch of things in my shoulder. Swimming, years ago, and I still can't throw a baseball very hard, very far. I can get it sixty feet or so, maybe seventy, but not much further than that. Which is partly why I'm nervous as hell about the upcoming HS baseball season in which I hope to pitch. Hooray for offspeed stuff!

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)

I've still never smoked anything, but I've discovered vodka isn't that bad. I had some mixed with Powerade before an ISU football game.

That'll sober you up in a real hurry, but I hear up until the game I'm silly as heck. :P :bang

1. as far as i know, i'm the only poster from south dakota

2. my first game was at the metrodome in about 88. the twins lost to the blue jays, which directly led to my dislike of the blue jays (don't hate them anymore), which led me to cheer for the sox in 93, and i haven't turned back.

3. i am a computer nerd going back to school to be an electronics nerd.

4. i will not be going on my biannual trip to chicago this year because my first child will be born this year, and our friends we stay with in batavia will also have their first child. i will try to keep her cubs fan father from brainwashing their child.

5. one of my cats loves nacho cheese doritos

bonus #6. i cleaned poo off the siderails of a hospital bed today, but my coworker put his hand in it, so i think i got the better end of the deal.

1. I have progressively gotten worse and worse at golf since playing it a lot more beginning this summer.

2. I don't drink much for someone my age (not in terms of what I can handle, more in how often I drink).

3. I have learned that working because you have to sucks ass (as opposed to just a means to make some extra cash during college). Well maybe not work, but my career is far from fun. Maybe I should have said screw money and just done something I loved.

4. I graduated from Cal State Fullerton, Cuma Sum Laude (ironically I probably misspelled that and had plenty of terrible grammar in this post, LOL).

5. I am probably the most likelable arrogant prick that I know

1. Ive never taken a drag of a ciggarette in my life.

2. I shattered my ankle and severed my achilles tendon in a car accident.

3. Im the only person in my high school to get ejected from a football game and volleyball game in the same year.

4. My dad started at middle linebacker for Nebraska in the 60s and won a bowl game before going to Vietnam

5. Im 24 and Ive been to Vegas about 15 times at least 8 of which were planned the night prior at the bar and didnt include luggage.

5 more;

1 - I walked up 1000 steps to reach the Great Wall. Never.Again.

2 - The 1st baseball game I saw was Arizona vs. Detroit at Chase Field. Jeremy Bonderman got shelled that day.

3 - I stood up and cheered loudly when Miggy Olivo hit a home run against the Angels a few days after event #2.

4- I think Daniel Negreanu is the greatest.

5- I used to play Basketball for a team called the Kangas (cue PA's Aussie jokes).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:12 AM)
That's pretty good. I imagine King was clever enough to say something about you "having a face for radio" or something along those lines.

actually, after cancelling his interview, he called my PD and said I deserved to be fired. I hadn't been at the station real long at that point so i wouldn't have been surprised if it happened. Turned out my PD was pretty cool and told me he heard it and got a big laugh out of it.