How bout Jeff Weaver

jbilla313

Welcome aboard Billa. Personally speaking I'm one of the few Weaver fans on this board. However, with Boras as his agent there is a belief by many posters (and probably an accurate belief) that Weaver will not be a member of the Sox.

However, Ken Williams has long been a fan of Weaver and we know when Kenny targets a guy his interest usually lasts for a long period of time. My thinking is if the Mets (or some other team) blow the Sox away in an offer for Buehrle (who I'd assume is as good as gone at the end of the season) than we need to make that deal, sign Weaver, find a way to grab another big bat (to make the offense so good that it can help buy time for the young pitching to come around) and hope we can develop the guys we acquired (knowing we'd have stockpiled an absolute assload of arms).

I think Weaver showed this season, he can only be successful in the right environment (the NL) and when he keeps the ball down in the zone, like he did for the Cardinals.

We'd only offer him a 1 year contract, and I can't see him signing with us for that in this current marketplace. Personally I think he'll re-sign with the Cards. They need SP's badly.

Boras guy.

terrible in the AL.

disliked by teammates.

refused to sign with Sox after they drafted him.

involved in the brawl as a Tiger during the 2000 season.

HE GAWN from our radar.

He's got a good arm so we know Boras would want too much money for too many years.

And some dumbass team will be willing to pay.

The Sox under KW have been interested in Weaver before. As a FA I thnk it all depends on what hios asking price is and with Boras as his agent I think it will be pretty high. Probably not a great investment, if it's too high, based on his inconsistent production. I just have to wonder, if one more of our starters doesn't get dealt for a number of high end pitching prospects, which then makes signing of a Jeff Weaver more plausible?

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
Boras guy.

terrible in the AL.

disliked by teammates.

refused to sign with Sox after they drafted him.

involved in the brawl as a Tiger during the 2000 season.

HE GAWN from our radar.

He's got a good arm so we know Boras would want too much money for too many years.

And some dumbass team will be willing to pay.

I agree on all of those except I wouldn't say he has a good arm. It is pretty bad when you get designated for assignment as a veteran. He will get his money because he has Boras, but he doesn't seem like a good fit for the Sox.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
read in the paper today that he was looking for a four-yr. $40 mil. contract.

So in 2005 he goes 14-11 and has to settle for a 1 year $8.5 million contract. He then goes 8-14 with a 5.76 ERA and now is looking for 4 years and $40 million? If any GM signs off on something even close to this, he needs to be committed. I would take the guy with a 1 year incentive-laiden contract, with some options, but other than that, let him go get lit up in another uniform.

For what purpose ?

How many seasons ?

With the current roster, there's no way - we have 4 veteran starters, and I think Kenny wants the 5th to emerge from Gavin Floyd/Charlie Haeger/John Denks.

If they were to trade another veteran starter, maybe, but I don't think Kenny would want to block the way for any of his young pitchers who he is obviously high on. So, in this scenario, where Buerhle or Vazquez is traded, it may be possible for the White Sox to add a veteran pitcher, but only as a stopgap option, meaning a 1 year deal with a club option type deal.

You never know, some guys the later it gets, may jump at something like that, but give the craziness in this market, I'm guessing someone will step up and give him at least 3 years.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
I wish I could interest some of these crazy GM's in the swamp land I have for sale in Arizona. I'm ready to deal.

Actually, last I heard, they were thinking of tearing down Biosphere 2 to build a housing development, so you're probably in good shape if you're the guy owning that land.