2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe that the Red Sox are possibly relying on Joel Pineiro to close out games for them. For such a talented team with a huge payroll, that statement is pretty insane. Of course, to be fair, I can't believe that we're relying on either Floyd or Haeger to be the 5th starter.

I would rather have Papelbon throw 200 innings than around 70. One of the reasons the Red Sox don't want Papelbon as closer is they don't know how his shoulder will hold up pitching almost every day. I wouldn't want Piniero as my closer though. They should be able to do better than that.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 02:43 AM)
Papelbon should stay the closer and Javier Lopez should stay in relief instead of signing Pinero.

Matsuzaka

Beckett

Clement

Schilling

Wakefield

What's the problem?

Clement does indeed suck that much.

Kinda of funny looking back on that FA market and some of the names the Sox were connected to - offhand, I know there was Wright and Clement atleast, and I'm sure there were a few others as well - and the Sox ended up "settling" for Duque on a 2 year deal for $8 million. Turned out to be a pretty good deal all in all for the Sox.

Scott Schoeneweis is close to a 3 year deal with the Metropolitans.

Tim Worrell retired after a 14 year career.

John Thompson' signed with the Blue Jays, mainly because it seems he can't stand Paul LoDuca.

Griffey shouuld be ready for Spring Training.

Russ Ortiz to the Giants for a minimum, 1 year contract.

Javy Lopez to the Rockies for 1 year, $750k.

Jim Edmunds had surgery on his foot.

Cal Ripken would be interested in buying the Orioles.

Russ Ortiz could be a real good signing for the Giants. Last year was just too unexpected and too much of a drop off from his career numbers that it's hard to imagine him doing anything other than pitch pretty well. He's also pitching for his next and possibly final contract..

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
Russ Ortiz could be a real good signing for the Giants. Last year was just too unexpected and too much of a drop off from his career numbers that it's hard to imagine him doing anything other than pitch pretty well. He's also pitching for his next and possibly final contract..

did you miss 2005?

His WHIPs the last 4 years look like this

Yeah, I'd say he's do for a bounce back, maybe to a WHIP of 1.75. It's either that or out of baseball.

Carlos Zambrano submitted a $15.5M arbitration figure which is HUGE. This is the first sign I've seen from the Zambrano camp that they are serious about cashing in on Carlos' impending free agency. All the figures that had been tossed around before were pretty damn disappointing (less than Zito). If Carlos' camp gets serious about this he could end up the largest contract ever handed out to a starting pitcher (which will only last until the '08-09 offseason.)

If he's going to re-sign, I want to see him clean the Cubs out.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
Carlos Zambrano submitted a $15.5M arbitration figure which is HUGE. This is the first sign I've seen from the Zambrano camp that they are serious about cashing in on Carlos' impending free agency. All the figures that had been tossed around before were pretty damn disappointing (less than Zito). If Carlos' camp gets serious about this he could end up the largest contract ever handed out to a starting pitcher (which will only last until the '08-09 offseason.)

If he's going to re-sign, I want to see him clean the Cubs out.

The crazy thing is that his number is low when compared to what he is going to be able to get in this FA market. $20 million per year is entirely possible. His peripherals are nasty, he puts up great W/L playing for a s***ty team, and he gives you 200+ innings every year. He could be looking at $150 million in FA next season.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
Sosa-Gonzo-Wickman gives the Braves a really nice backend.

You mean Soriano, but yes it does. Probably the only team that has two people setting up who would both be better closers than the current closer.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
You mean Soriano, but yes it does. Probably the only team that has two people setting up who would both be better closers than the current closer.

Is Todd Jones still going to be closing in Detroit?

With any luck, the White Sox might be able to say the same thing too, and that won't be because of Bobby's performance, but because of how good the other guys in the Pen can be.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 06:41 PM)
Is Todd Jones still going to be closing in Detroit?

With any luck, the White Sox might be able to say the same thing too, and that won't be because of Bobby's performance, but because of how good the other guys in the Pen can be.

S***, good call. Jones is so bad. I would imagine Zumaya has to be wondering when the hell Jones is getting out of there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
Son of a b****, there's nothing I hate more than when my sports world is brought to a screeching halt due to some f***ing exclusive rights contract.

F*cking c*cks*cking, mother f*ckers! During summer when everything is in re-runs, I could always turn on the Extra Innings package. DirectTV, burn in hell!!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 05:45 PM)
WTF, ok I'm f***in pissed now. That's is f***in ridiculous. f*** you MLB.

Agreed

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
By 09, if the MLB channel is anything like the NFL network, I might have to make the switch.

Double Agree

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
F*cking c*cks*cking, mother f*ckers! During summer when everything is in re-runs, I could always turn on the Extra Innings package. DirectTV, burn in hell!!

Triple Agree

I think Major League Baseball hates the fans, really there's no other explanation. They take away the best baseball video game franchise and now they want to make it impossible for a good portion of their fans to subscribe to Extra Innings.

I'm not getting a f***ing dish just for the baseball package, f*** that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
Agreed

Double Agree

Triple Agree

I think Major League Baseball hates the fans, really there's no other explanation. They take away the best baseball video game franchise and now they want to make it impossible for a good portion of their fans to subscribe to Extra Innings.

I'm not getting a f***ing dish just for the baseball package, f*** that.

We're not even allowed to get a dish at the place I'm living in next year. I was honestly so f***in excited that I was finally going to be able to watch Sox games down here and now this . f*** you MLB, f*** you.