2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
Preston Wilson signs a 1 year, $1 million deal to return to the Cardinals next season.

Again, not a bad signing. Wilson isn't good by all means but he's a serviceable bench player at this point in his career. Good god he is/was a serious strikeout machine though.

Him and Sosa could have probably put an end to global warming from all the fanning they were doing back in the late 90's early 00's.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
Preston Wilson signs a 1 year, $1 million deal to return to the Cardinals next season.

Ugh, same money as Erstad. He would have been such a perfect fit for the Sox 4th OF spot. He has 2 things going for him that we know for certain Erstad can not provide, he's right handed and he hits for power.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
Ugh, same money as Erstad. He would have been such a perfect fit for the Sox 4th OF spot. He has 2 things going for him that we know for certain Erstad can not provide, he's right handed and he hits for power.

Well, the big question is...do you want an outfielder to back up Anderson or do you want an outfielder to back up/Platoon with Podsednik?

I think the organization answered, at least at some level, that question by which one they picked.

But yeah, I would also add that Kenny's history of liking Erstad and his "intangibles" and so forth probably played into that choice also.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 01:19 AM)
Well, the big question is...do you want an outfielder to back up Anderson or do you want an outfielder to back up/Platoon with Podsednik?

I think the organization answered, at least at some level, that question by which one they picked.

But yeah, I would also add that Kenny's history of liking Erstad and his "intangibles" and so forth probably played into that choice also.

My gripe isn't Erstad over Wilson -- it's Podsednik over Wilson. Wilson probably wanted to stay in St Louis, but the Sox could have doubled St Louis offer of $1 million and STILL paid less for Erstad + Wilson than Podsednik @ $2.9 million. I think the Sox also could have offered a reasonable amount of playing time; he'd be playing everyday against lefties (either at DH or LF), and could occasionally spell Dye in RF too.

Really, I think Wilson could make the team a win or two better than Podsednik, and a one year deal would have in no way screwed over the future of Sweeney or Fields out there.

Astros signed LHP Kelly Wunsch to a minor league contract.

Wunsch, who was born in Houston, must have really wanted to pitch close to home to take a deal without an invitation to spring training. If healthy, he'd be a better option for the Houston pen than Scott Sauerbeck, who just signed a minor league deal with a spring training invite. However, he hasn't been injury free since the first half of 2005.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
The Phillies have reportedly offered up Aaron Rowand to the Padres for Scott Linebrink. Kevin Towers let out a little chuckle and politely told Gillick to f*** off.

Linebrink adds to his total as the all-time leader in name involved in trade rumors.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
Son of a b****, there's nothing I hate more than when my sports world is brought to a screeching halt due to some f***ing exclusive rights contract.

Can't find the link but I heard that this is not a done deal for sure yet and someone in Senate is trying to block this deal. I will look for the story and edit this post if/when I can find it.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 06:43 AM)
Can't find the link but I heard that this is not a done deal for sure yet and someone in Senate is trying to block this deal. I will look for the story and edit this post if/when I can find it.

Ya, John Kerry is involved. I'm holding out hope that either the senate blocks this or that just the added pressure has MLB back out and do a non exclusive deal (basically how they did in prior years) with the new MLB channel being part of more premium packages (as opposed to basic packages).

Still I don't think this is an issue the senate should get involved in.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
Ya, John Kerry is involved. I'm holding out hope that either the senate blocks this or that just the added pressure has MLB back out and do a non exclusive deal (basically how they did in prior years) with the new MLB channel being part of more premium packages (as opposed to basic packages).

Still I don't think this is an issue the senate should get involved in.

I totally agree on that, this situation sucks and all but once you have the Senate stepping in on cases such as these, they overstep their bounds. Kerry really has no case here, if they want to have an exclusive rights deal then that's their right to do so.

And if this is such a hot issue for Kerry and Congress, where were they when any of the other 1000s of exclusive rights deals were going through? Even in the exact same genre, why wouldn't they step in when DirecTV bought the exclusive right to NFL Sunday Ticket?

As much as I hate this deal, I don't want Congress involved at all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
I totally agree on that, this situation sucks and all but once you have the Senate stepping in on cases such as these, they overstep their bounds. Kerry really has no case here, if they want to have an exclusive rights deal then that's their right to do so.

MLB involved the Senate when they asked for an anti-trust exemption a long time ago. That leaves the Congress as their only oversight to make sure MLB is on the up and up. When they keep screwing the fans over, they are going to raise the ire of the Senate, it's inevitable.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
MLB involved the Senate when they asked for an anti-trust exemption a long time ago. That leaves the Congress as their only oversight to make sure MLB is on the up and up. When they keep screwing the fans over, they are going to raise the ire of the Senate, it's inevitable.

So where were they when the NFL sold the rights to Sunday Ticket? Just because MLB has an exemption doesn't mean they should be targeted by Congress when something like this happens. And the Antitrust exemption has absolutely nothing to do with why John Kerry got involved in this case.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
So where were they when the NFL sold the rights to Sunday Ticket? Just because MLB has an exemption doesn't mean they should be targeted by Congress when something like this happens. And the Antitrust exemption has absolutely nothing to do with why John Kerry got involved in this case.

Actually it does mean that Congress should be invovled because there is no other means to address the problem. The anti-trust agreement means that MLB can do whatever it wants, and pretty much violate most of the usual laws that other groups have to follow, the NFL included.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
Actually it does mean that Congress should be invovled because there is no other means to address the problem. The anti-trust agreement means that MLB can do whatever it wants, and pretty much violate most of the usual laws that other groups have to follow, the NFL included.

Eew this is starting to feel like politics. I don't really do politics anymore. And you're right about the exemption that does put them in the spotlight for Congress, not really sure why I even put that, regardless I really don't want them to step in on this one, I don't feel it's the place regardless of MLBs numerous f***ups and exempt status.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
Eew this is starting to feel like politics. I don't really do politics anymore. And you're right about the exemption that does put them in the spotlight for Congress, not really sure why I even put that, regardless I really don't want them to step in on this one, I don't feel it's the place.

I don't think that this actually violates the spirit of the anti-trust agreement, and thus should be left alone. I do believe this combined with the see no evil approach to their drug policy will get them attention in Congress, especially when the Mitchell investigations start to turn up some dirt in the form of complicity or even aiding by the ownership higher ups in the steroid scandals. I really think we will see MLBs anti-trust exemption come up for review in the next few years as their dirty laundry gets aired in front of the entire country.

Umm I'd just like to point out this drug policy slamming is a bunch of crap. They would have had tighter drug policies but it took a zillion times of public outcry and legal pressure to get the PLAYERS UNION to cave in on this and make it an outcry.

What was Selig going to do, let the game go into another strike over drug testing (because if the owners had fought for it a few years back that is exactly what would have happened).

And this exclusive rights deal with DirectTV in no way shape or form violates there anti trust agreement.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
I don't think that this actually violates the spirit of the anti-trust agreement, and thus should be left alone. I do believe this combined with the see no evil approach to their drug policy will get them attention in Congress, especially when the Mitchell investigations start to turn up some dirt in the form of complicity or even aiding by the ownership higher ups in the steroid scandals. I really think we will see MLBs anti-trust exemption come up for review in the next few years as their dirty laundry gets aired in front of the entire country.

That I can absolutely agree with.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
Umm I'd just like to point out this drug policy slamming is a bunch of crap. They would have had tighter drug policies but it took a zillion times of public outcry and legal pressure to get the PLAYERS UNION to cave in on this and make it an outcry.

What was Selig going to do, let the game go into another strike over drug testing (because if the owners had fought for it a few years back that is exactly what would have happened).

And this exclusive rights deal with DirectTV in no way shape or form violates there anti trust agreement.

Actually Selig has the power to institute pretty much anything he wants for the good of the game. He has executive powers to change anything that is considered vital to the game. Its called the "best interests" clause and MLB gave it to Landis to clean up after the Black Sox scandal. Instead of playing the "mean ol players union" card, Selig could have manned up and required whatever level of testing he wanted using this exact clause. Instead he played the negotitations game, and they all harmed the reputation of the game more than anyone since 1920.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
I have no words that can possibly express how unbelievably stupid I feel this article is and how angry I am at having spent a minute reading it.

I am sure that the drunken fools who rush to watch a rotten team play in an antiquated dump of a stadium will be lining up to bring goats and their buddies named Murphy to every single ballpark that team hits this year. I remember in 03 when these fools were bringing stupid farm animals to the games and reciting some made up curse backwards. These are the same fans who ate a f***ing blown up baseball in their pasta.

The only curse are the people who have to watch these drunken fools urinating in their yards after another fine game at the dump.

Wait till Mike Murphy gets a hold of this one. He will be playing goofy soundbites and giggling like a school girl that he can personally lift them from their crappy status.

Edited by southsideirish71