Sox Sign Erstad

SkokieSox

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Pods, why have the Sox waited until now to finally get him the groin surgery? We're almost a month away from ST, surely if they had found something couldn't have they given him the surgery straight after the 2006 season finished?

On Erstad, I'm not totally excited by this move. Is he going to play in LF to replace Pods, or replace Anderson in CF? I hope the latter scenario doesn't take place, but Erstad would really need to pick it up offensively to become a suitable enough leadoff hitter for this ballclub.

Hmmm...added veteran depth to a team that has a bunch of youngsters that could probably use one more year of seasoning in AAA. I think I'll take it. If he's healthy, he's better than Pods in LF defensively and could be used as a defensive replacement.

Either way, I like it.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)
Erstad... hmmm, an oft-injured lefty who can't hit lefties (a whopping .238 from 2004-2006)... just what this team needs.

bad signing.

The point is that he'd never face lefties. Iguchi, Konerko, Dye, Crede and Hall are pretty good against lefties I hear. Pure rumor though.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Good, this better mean less of Mack at CF.

I would venture to guess it means a whole lot more of Mackowiak in CF, but the name on the back will read Erstad instead.

I'm hating on this deal too much. I said it earlier in the thread - in theory, this move would be outstanding. A backup 1B/OF type that plays 1B once every 3 weeks, and plays LF once a week, CF twice a week, and RF once every 3 weeks. However, I have a horrible underlying feeling - and I'm not alone in this feeling as I have seen already - that Ozzie will completely misuse Erstad and he will receive as many ABs as possible in CF, thus further stunting the development of Anderson.

And with all the injuries and the aging Erstad has undergone, his range is all but gone. Include the fact that he's played exactly 219 innings in CF in the last 3 years (albeit all 219 came last year, a year in which he played 40 games), and this deal makes me feel worse.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
too much

What a horrible signing.

Huh? Why would this be a terrible signing, we have the money and its for a maximum of two years, so it really has no barring on our financial future. What's wrong with it? If he is healthy he can be a .300 hitter in the lineup, if not, he is a backup all over the place. Another typical KW move, low risk/high reward.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
Huh? Why would this be a terrible signing, we have the money and its for a maximum of two years, so it really has no barring on our financial future. What's wrong with it? If he is healthy he can be a .300 hitter in the lineup, if not, he is a backup all over the place. Another typical KW move, low risk/high reward.

Because he's not a .300 hitter any more, his defense has diminished greatly, and you know he's not going to be a backup because there's no way Ozzie sits a veteran for a 2nd year player.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
Because he's not a .300 hitter any more, his defense has diminished greatly, and you know he's not going to be a backup because there's no way Ozzie sits a veteran for a 2nd year player.

Erstad is here to compete for a job, Ozzie will not hand him the job. If he plays well in ST and starts, he is likely fully healthy and ready to be a starter, if not, he can be released, go to the minors or be a bench player. This deal has no downside.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
Very predictable signing. The writing is on the wall that if Pods is healthy, Anderson's spot in CF is in jeopardy.

Well, Pods isn't healthy.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

If Fields or Owens fail to impress in LF, then Darin will play there, with BA in CF.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 04:57 PM)
Erstad is here to compete for a job, Ozzie will not hand him the job. If he plays well in ST and starts, he is likely fully healthy and ready to be a starter, if not, he can be released, go to the minors or be a bench player. This deal has no downside.

K, I'll eat major crow if Anderson starts 80% of the games and Erstad's utilized very well off of the bench.

I highly doubt it happens

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)

Wait, has it been said anywhere that this is a minor-league deal?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)

It sure sounds to me like a guaranteed major league deal, but we'll see:

The White Sox outfield just might feature a very different look at the start of the 2007 season.

Scott Podsednik, the team's left fielder and leadoff hitter brought back during the current offseason on a one-year, $2.9 million deal, will be out of action for the next six weeks after undergoing groin surgery on Tuesday. The problem stemmed from an injury four years ago with Milwaukee and not the groin injuries plaguing him the last two seasons.

In order to help compensate for Podsednik's loss, while adding another productive bat to the outfield mix, MLB.com has learned Darin Erstad will be joining the White Sox on a one-year deal with an option for the 2008 season. The deal is pending a physical later in the week, but if all goes as planned, Erstad should be part of the team by SoxFest this weekend.

Erstad will compete with Brian Anderson for starting time in center field if Podsednik returns healthy during Spring Training and is ready to go for the start of the regular season. Rookie outfielders Ryan Sweeney and Jerry Owens also could figure into the overall mix, depending on Podsednik's recovery period.

Tuesday's move basically leaves White Sox position battles for the fifth starter and the final bullpen spot to be hashed out in Tucson.

Whitesox.com

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)

Just cause you are given a major league doesn't restrict you from being sent to the minors. Nobody is gonna hand him a job just because he got a major league deal, he still has to earn it and Ozzie and KW knows that more than anybody.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
Just cause you are given a major league doesn't restrict you from being sent to the minors. Nobody is gonna hand him a job just because he got a major league deal, he still has to earn it and Ozzie and KW knows that more than anybody.

I still don't believe it, but we'll see what happens.