Barbaro put down

It's been up on Deadspin for a while now, they are your unofficial Barbaro Headquarters you know. It's already on ESPN now and will soon consume your sports world. I really couldn't care less about some damn race horse but I'm ready for it to be jammed down my throat by every major sports media source.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
Finally, if this was someone's dog, they would have been put to sleep a long time ago. The suffering they put this horse through was ridiculous.

agreed, this was long overdue. Even Secratariat would have been put down months ago.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Headline ESPN, Payton Manning visits Barabaro grave, the colts are heroes.

Lovie Smith orders horse meat for villanous bears.

LOL! :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
"The battling Barbaro" the tale of a horse with a winning spirit and a never say die heart.

..........until he died.........

I doubt there will be a movie made about him, but the only reason why he got so much publicity is because he won the Kentucky Derby, had he not won the Derby, he might've been put down that very day at the Preakness.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
I couldn't care less that this horse died. As has been mentioned, the damn thing has been put through so much trouble as is.

Have you seen the damn x-ray from the surgeries that they put that poor horse through?

23548693.jpg

crazy.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
Wow. I cringe with pain just looking at the picture. I don't know much about this and I know he was a race horse but couldn't they have just amputated his leg? I mean, he'd still be able to reproduce and pop out some real good suckers? No?

Dont know. They shoulda taken the man-horse-juice from him and sold that I guess. Either way the horse should have been shot at the track like so many more before him.

Here's a concept, stop abusing these horses and have them run in this races when they really aren't equipped to handle the load at just 3 years old (especially with all the races they run).

At least with hunting some people eat what they kill....this is just a big excuse to gamble and is a f***ing joke if you ask me (and don't get me started on rodeo's and the way the Bulls are treated). Yes, I'm a republican than gives a s*** about animal rights.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
Wow. I cringe with pain just looking at the picture. I don't know much about this and I know he was a race horse but couldn't they have just amputated his leg? I mean, he'd still be able to reproduce and pop out some real good suckers? No?

Nope, Horses cannot be amputees. their entire life hangs on their ability to walk. If they put too much weight on one leg, they develop laminitis(their bone starts pulling away from their hoof), which is what eventually led to Barbaro being put down, among many other horses. I dont think there has ever been a horse with a prosthetic. And the owners wanted to stud Barbaro to make some money off of him because thoroughbreds cannot be artificially concieved