Texsox

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be upgrading to Vista?

• Yes, right away, I'm a crash test dummy
    • Yes, in a while after things calm down
    • Maybe later
    • No
    • On my next machine
    • Want to hear about my Mac and how superior it is to any windoze based system. Jobs is King. PCs are ugly and stupid.

QUOTE(fullcollapse @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
windows 2000 = best windows OS ever. i haven't used vista yet, but i'm sure its full of a bunch of useless features that i won't be able to shut off and have to edit the registry or system files to fix.

Like the dvd creator on cpus that dont have dvd burners, Im sure theres an explanation but I dont get it.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jan 31, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
Well, I got and am currently using Vista on my new computer. It seems ok so far. Its a lot more different then I thought it would be.

Make sure that you have your AV, the Vista firewall, and your antispyware on and ready to go. Also turn on the autoupdate feature, as they are already getting patches ready.

The first exploits for Vista will be through the applications on Vista probably through email or messenger spam. They will target vulnerabilities in IE and messenger like in older versions. Just because this is on Vista doesn't mean you will be invulnerable.

If I was going to target the system, I would look at the IPv6 stack as it is enabled on all Vista machines by default. You could encapsulate a normal IPv4 packet in IPv6 and see if it will answer and pass it through without checking it for security. I will probably install it on a VM just so I can mess around with it. First one to write an exploit will be famous.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
Mas OS X ;)

The Mac OS is not "safer". It's just that if writing viruses is your thing, you get more bang attacking a PC because there are so many more PC's out there. It's kind of like using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. More use IE, therefore Mozilla floats under the radar.

Of course, I realize you didn't make any claims and I'm just spouting my mouth off for apparently no reason. :D

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)
Make sure that you have your AV, the Vista firewall, and your antispyware on and ready to go. Also turn on the autoupdate feature, as they are already getting patches ready.

The first exploits for Vista will be through the applications on Vista probably through email or messenger spam. They will target vulnerabilities in IE and messenger like in older versions. Just because this is on Vista doesn't mean you will be invulnerable.

If I was going to target the system, I would look at the IPv6 stack as it is enabled on all Vista machines by default. You could encapsulate a normal IPv4 packet in IPv6 and see if it will answer and pass it through without checking it for security. I will probably install it on a VM just so I can mess around with it. First one to write an exploit will be famous.

I'm running XP, but am I in the minority who thinks Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates are terribly tragic? Ever since I switched to a 3rd party firewall, I've yet to get a virus. And ever since I turned automatic updates off, I stop getting crap I don't want on my computer.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Like the dvd creator on cpus that dont have dvd burners, Im sure theres an explanation but I dont get it.

Microsoft makes software and sells it to computer companies who make the computers. Therefore, Microsoft doesn't control the computer hardware on the market, but they watch the trends. There are different versions of Windows, yes, but it's natural for them to assume that computers now have DVD burners in them as technology keeps improving and DVD burners pretty much come standard in new computers. Therefore, they put DVD burning software on all the Windows versions because it's convenient. If a computer is made without a DVD burner, Microsoft can't do anything about it unless they want to release a Windows called, "Windows for people who need to buy a new computer" and take off most of the luxury features.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
The Mac OS is not "safer". It's just that if writing viruses is your thing, you get more bang attacking a PC because there are so many more PC's out there. It's kind of like using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. More use IE, therefore Mozilla floats under the radar.

All operating systems have their flaws and all, however the model that microsoft has operated under has been the reason that they are a target. Its not just that there are more of them out there, its how tightly they have tied their application APIs to the core of the operating system. It makes them easy for a developer to write some code to, however its also easy for a malware writer to do the same thing. A lot of their applications run in a privileged state and cannot be jailed off. Where as MacOS, Linux and other Unix like operating systems can jail off processes. Most Unix-like operating systems operate under the security principle of least privilege, where as microsoft believes that the Administrator and administrator access should be acceptable for most of their applications. You can lock down a Unix like machine without changing the user experience that much, if you lock down XP or even Vista to a high security standpoint you seriously impact the user and most likely have some operational values. But hey, Gates a long time ago figured out how to make a ton of money. He made it as easy as possible for as many developers in the world to crank out applications. That and making it secure are almost impossible to do.

'I'm running XP, but am I in the minority who thinks Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates are terribly tragic? Ever since I switched to a 3rd party firewall, I've yet to get a virus. And ever since I turned automatic updates off, I stop getting crap I don't want on my computer.

You are correct that the Microsft Firewall is horrible. It provides protection for inbound attacks only and ignores your machines source traffic as trusted. It would be nice to see a popup, like in a Zone Alarm or other products that my machine is running some process I have never heard of and is trying to contact China for whatever reason. But the reason I stated to use it, is that any firewall is better than no protection. Its easy for the user to use and provides adaquate protection against inbound worms. As far as the automatic updates. The best way to protect yourself from most crap on the net is to patch your system and your applications as much as possible. Most exploits that are used are actually older problems that do not get patched. There are still Code Red/Nimba/Slammer infections on the internet due to the lack of patching. If you can handle the patching yourself and can get on a good schedule then by all means. However for the average user its better just to have the automatic updates set and let it take care of it for you. In a corporate environment I would recommend the Windows Server Update Services which allows you to have your users point to a central repository that you can manage. You approve the updates and then publish them. Its one of the better microsoft tools out there.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
T

I'm running XP, but am I in the minority who thinks Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates are terribly tragic? Ever since I switched to a 3rd party firewall, I've yet to get a virus. And ever since I turned automatic updates off, I stop getting crap I don't want on my computer.

i do the same thing. i can't stand all the crap windows tries to do for me. there should be a "i know what the hell i'm doing" option when you install so all that junk isn't installed.

I have had problems with XP on my computer for a while. I have missing cabinet files, can open winzip files because of CRC errors etc., certain games won't work, so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the Premium Version of Vista.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
I have had problems with XP on my computer for a while. I have missing cabinet files, can open winzip files because of CRC errors etc., certain games won't work, so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy the Premium Version of Vista.

If you know any college students, seriously, consider asking them to purchase a copy for you @ their bookstores. Most students can purchase 1 copy of any microsoft software at very reduced (i.e. $5) prices (make sure they won't need to buy a copy of it for themselves though).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)

Some of you can get a student discount that is pretty good. Outside of that the rest take a beating on the actual price. If you "build" or say modify your computer by buying a small part such as a fan for like 5 bucks you can qualify as a PC Builder and get the OEM edition. The price difference is significant. This was the route I took a few years back to get XP Pro for a 90 bucks. I built a PC for my brother and picked up the OEM edition and saved a ton for him.

Remember google is your friend. OEM Vista edition should get you some prices and some comparisons. Some places will require you to purchase a small part or something, some others dont care at all.

Here is an example of one place that has Vista pricing for OEM editions. There are others, just let google go the walking for you.

provantage.com has a full line-up of 32- and 64-bit Vista OEM editions for sale at the following prices:

* Home Basic: $96.98

* Home Premium: $120.89

* Business $152.62

* Vista Ultimate $205.31

Edit: Newegg has some pricing also.

http://www.newegg.com/msvista/Vista_Produc...s&ATT=Vista

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
Mac OS 10.4.6

The funny thing is in reality, Vista is a Tiger rip off. Their new search engine was modeled after spotlight, the look is very mac like. And then in a few months Leopard will be out with a whole new set of bells and whistles. The only thing holding Apple back is being locked into proprietary hardware. If Jobs takes the gloves off and has Leopard ready for all intel based systems then we would be ready for a fight.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
If you know any college students, seriously, consider asking them to purchase a copy for you @ their bookstores. Most students can purchase 1 copy of any microsoft software at very reduced (i.e. $5) prices (make sure they won't need to buy a copy of it for themselves though).

I'm still a college student myself actually, so I should go and check that out.

I can get a discount on the Premium Academic Version down here though, so it'll only cost me $165 (yes our prices SUCK down here).

I'm just at the stage where I'm either going to purchase a new computer and start from scratch, or try Vista. And I think I'm gonna go with Vista.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
Some of you can get a student discount that is pretty good. Outside of that the rest take a beating on the actual price. If you "build" or say modify your computer by buying a small part such as a fan for like 5 bucks you can qualify as a PC Builder and get the OEM edition. The price difference is significant. This was the route I took a few years back to get XP Pro for a 90 bucks. I built a PC for my brother and picked up the OEM edition and saved a ton for him.

Remember google is your friend. OEM Vista edition should get you some prices and some comparisons. Some places will require you to purchase a small part or something, some others dont care at all.

Here is an example of one place that has Vista pricing for OEM editions. There are others, just let google go the walking for you.

provantage.com has a full line-up of 32- and 64-bit Vista OEM editions for sale at the following prices:

* Home Basic: $96.98

* Home Premium: $120.89

* Business $152.62

* Vista Ultimate $205.31

Edit: Newegg has some pricing also.

http://www.newegg.com/msvista/Vista_Produc...s&ATT=Vista

You can get them from Fry's Electronics too.