Date for final Harry Potter book

Soxy

No one in my house has seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books, and I think that streak is safe.

My daughter actually enjoys reading the Spiderman comic reprints that come free in the Sunday Sun-Times - now she wants me to buy her more Spiderman comics!

I think that's very cool!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
No one in my house has seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books, and I think that streak is safe.

My daughter actually enjoys reading the Spiderman comic reprints that come free in the Sunday Sun-Times - now she wants me to buy her more Spiderman comics!

I think that's very cool!

Good Lord, you need to come over again. My son has gone beyond bonkers with his Spidey love. The kid is 4 and is already busting the artists when they aren't consistent with costumes. He also started quizzing my wife on the Venom history, and when she couldn't answer him he told her she needed to get the old books and start learning! The kid is Superhero crazy, and especially Spidey.

I couldn't stand them at first. I couldn't figure it out. Then, I ran out of "my books" (Political, History, Non-Fiction) and took the first book on the train ride with me - my wife has them all. I was hooked. I couldn't put it down. Usually I only read on the train. I read the Harry Potters every chance I got. It kinda made me sick to live with myself. I mean, how could I actually enjoy this fiction crap?

So, yes, I'm excited! :)

QUOTE(mreye @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 12:51 PM)
I couldn't stand them at first. I couldn't figure it out. Then, I ran out of "my books" (Political, History, Non-Fiction) and took the first book on the train ride with me - my wife has them all. I was hooked. I couldn't put it down. Usually I only read on the train. I read the Harry Potters every chance I got. It kinda made me sick to live with myself. I mean, how could I actually enjoy this fiction crap?

So, yes, I'm excited! :)

Its better than your real life? :P

Monday morning at about 5AM or so, I was at O'Hare's United terminal when I heard a weird page. It was someone paging Harry Potter to gate 4 (or some gate). A minute or two later some lady asked for the person that paged Harry Potter to repeat the page.

Never did run into him.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
I see NOTHING wrong with a product that gets millions and millions of kids to read books.

I think it's great!!!

That's true, but when its the only book their parents read too...

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
If Rowlings really wants to continue writing in the series, she can either have Harry become a sports star who fights crime, or he can become a teacher Indiana Jones style.

No, next she'll have to write about how she scarred Harry Potter as a child. All the drugs he did behind the scenes, the depression he's suffering from, how he's lost his magic powers.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
No, next she'll have to write about how she scarred Harry Potter as a child. All the drugs he did behind the scenes, the depression he's suffering from, how he's lost his magic powers.

Only to one day, in desperate times, he will be summoned by the highest powers, which will lead him to rediscovering his old self, and saving the world once again.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
I see NOTHING wrong with a product that gets millions and millions of kids to read books.

I think it's great!!!

Bingo. The series got MILLIONS of kids excited about reading. No small feat that.

I am sooo looking forward to the last book.

And I'm putting y'all on notice now. Anybody posts any spoilers here without a BIG WARNING and ruin it for me before I read it, it's a Killing Curse for that poor soul! :angry: :angry:

:D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

It's amazing how an easy read with hardly any relative meaning sells like hot cakes. 6.9 million copies? This must be some kind of a sick joke.

Have you read the books? 'Cause, uh, they have plenty of deep meaning in them.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 02:51 AM)
I'm sure you've learned a lot about good and evil, about morals and ethics. Ahh, Harry Potter, you're so deep.

Actually, yeah, morality is a big part of the storyline, but the plain truth is they are just fantastically written books that manage to engage a multi-generational audience.

Plenty of people don't find them appealing or won't give them a spin, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. But these are the books that 20-30 years from now my kids will be reading to their kids, and they are the books that got millions of grade schoolers (even the boys!!) to realize that reading is actually fun. For me, it's just hard to overstate the significance of that accomplishment.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
Actually, yeah, morality is a big part of the storyline, but the plain truth is they are just fantastically written books that manage to engage a multi-generational audience.

Plenty of people don't find them appealing or won't give them a spin, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. But these are the books that 20-30 years from now my kids will be reading to their kids, and they are the books that got millions of grade schoolers (even the boys!!) to realize that reading is actually fun. For me, it's just hard to overstate the significance of that accomplishment.

You're right on the money there, Jim.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)

I've already said that I'm not discouraging kids from reading it. But why some adults are more excited to read the book than the children, that has me a bit confused.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
I've already said that I'm not discouraging kids from reading it. But why some adults are more excited to read the book than the children, that has me a bit confused.

Like Jim said they're really well written. I, personally, love the suspense in the later books.

Mostly I enjoy them because they offer me an exciting break from the all too often s***ty reality that is adult life. :)

My grandmother is obsessed with steering the children in the family away from these books and movies because she says they are witchcraft.Its kinda funny because she puts forth more effort in fighting HarryPotter then alot of other bad things that kids get into.Everytime they do something bad she brings up HarryPotter like he influenced them.lol