Bears bashing boggles the mind

Posted this in TalkBears, but I know a lot of you don't make it over there. It's a pretty good read.

Bears bashing boggles the mind

Mike Downey

In the wake of the news

February 11, 2007

Jay Leno and David Letterman have made Bears jokes almost nightly.

A columnist from the Los Angeles Times referred to the Bears as "Da Bums" and as "the Munsters of the Midway."

A gentleman from ESPN said of the Bears, "You wonder how they reached the playoffs, much less the Super Bowl."

A fellow from a Chicago paper proposed after the Super Bowl that it might be best for all concerned if Rex Grossman went to a different team.

A football writer for Sports Illustrated suggested the Bears try to trade for Houston's David Carr, who is the quarterback of one of the NFL's worst teams.

A guy from Fox Sports cracked "if Grossman were added to the presidential ticket, Barack Obama probably couldn't carry Cook County."

A columnist for the Denver Post wrote Grossman "stinks" and, furthermore, "Truth is, the Bears are vastly overrated."

That guy put those last two comments on the record before the Super Bowl.

Forgive my foul language on a Sunday, but what the hell is going on here?

How did the Bears go from being one of the top teams in football to the butts of jokes and to the targets for all sorts of verbal and critical abuse?

How did a seven-point underdog lose a game by 12 points and suddenly turn into a different kind of dog?

How did a team win its division a month early, win its conference championship game by 25 points, win 15 of its games and lose four, only to end up on the receiving end of an almost daily bashing?

A week ago this day, the Bears were on a wet field in Florida with the favored Indianapolis Colts, a team led by perhaps the best quarterback of the 21st Century.

At the end of a quarter, the score was Bears 14, Colts 6.

Chicago's fans must have been as proud as punch. Their heroes were up by eight. A

92-yard kickoff return put the Colts in a hole. Grossman threw a touchdown pass.

Thomas Jones broke a 52-yard run. In a word, the Bears looked super.

At halftime, the Bears were behind, but only by two. They didn't touch the ball much. But there was a Colts fumble and a missed field goal. It was still anybody's game.

At the end of three quarters, the score was 22-17.

It wasn't a blowout. It wasn't a Bears embarrassment. The favored Colts were up five. They did not score a touchdown on the Bears' defense in the third quarter. Manning passed for 54 yards in this quarter—big deal.

In the end, Indianapolis did win. A team that was expected to prevail by a huge majority of NFL analysts—many of them former pro coaches and players with a certain amount of expertise—did, in fact, beat the Bears.

It was not an upset. And I, for one, was not upset. I was sorry to see my guys lose but grateful for a great season, as many of my Bears brethren were.

Bob Newhart, the comedian, a true-blue fan, called up to joke, "I've just entered a 12-step Bears recovery program."

We both expressed surprise at the way the team was knocked and mocked in the game's aftermath.

Hadn't the Bears had a spectacular season? Weren't the Colts supposed to beat them? Why did the Bears suddenly seem to be getting a worse

beating in the postgame than they did in the game?

I have been to Super Bowls decided 42-10, 46-10, 48-21 and 52-17.

I saw a team John Elway quarterbacked be torn to shreds 55-10. Now that's the kind of thrashing a team could get embarrassed about.

Denver obviously should have gotten rid of that Elway bum.

Twenty-three teams lost games from Super Bowls I through XL by margins as bad or worse than the Bears' just was.

But now they are bums? They were lucky to make the playoffs? They were vastly overrated? They ought to dump a quarterback who went 15-4 and go get the quarterback of the Houston Texans?

Madness, madness.

Look, no one likes to lose.

In the painful first minutes after last Sunday's game ended, Bears wide receiver Bernard Berrian said that where winning the Super Bowl is concerned, "Anything less is failure."

No, it is not.

Did we imagine those division and league championships? Did we imagine Virginia McCaskey having the George S. Halas Trophy placed in her hands?

Did we imagine beating Super Bowl XL runner-up Seattle twice? Did we imagine winning in Green Bay 26-0, in St. Louis 42-27, beating the two New York teams on the road by a combined 48-20? Did we imagine pounding Detroit 34-7, Buffalo 40-7, San Francisco 41-10 and New Orleans 39-14?

Did we imagine Grossman passing for 3,193 yards and 23 scores in the regular season? Did we imagine Jones and Cedric Benson rushing for 1,857 yards? Did we imagine Robbie Gould making 32 of 36 field-goal attempts and Devin Hester returning six kicks for touchdowns?

I don't know about you, but—please pardon my language again—I thought Chicago had one hell of a team.

mikedowney@tribune.com

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were one of the worst Super Bowl teams in the history of the event. No other team has come out and been as embarrassing as this years Bears team since the '85 Patriots. It's been discussed that nearly all teams that made the AFC Playoffs would have been beaten the Bears; outside of Kansas City, I might agree.

The Bears are who I thought they were. A team that was successful in the worst division in the league and also the worst conference in the league.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)
They were one of the worst Super Bowl teams in the history of the event. No other team has come out and been as embarrassing as this years Bears team since the '85 Patriots. It's been discussed that nearly all teams that made the AFC Playoffs would have been beaten the Bears; outside of Kansas City, I might agree.

The Bears are who I thought they were. A team that was successful in the worst division in the league and also the worst conference in the league.

Good job sounding clueless. I don't see how there can be anything called Super Bowls worst team. It's an oxymoron. They were down 5 in the 4th quarter, they weren't blown out like NE in 85.

I still think if Brown and Harris are healthy, Bears win.

They lost by 12 points, and the game was within reach in the 4th quarter. The criticism is out of hand.

I cannot believe the way the nation has taken to making fun of Rex Grossman. He's not a bad kid, he certainly was not the worst quarterback to ever play in the Superbowl (as people have thrown around as fact), and it's embarrassing to see sportswriters like Rick Reilly dedicating their entire article to making fun of Rex.

It's ashame that a team that dominated the NFC all year would be made fun of... how many times did the Colts make the playoffs before they even REACHED the Superbowl. This was just the second year of this regime, and next year should be even better. I'm sick of this s***.

WHY even post this? They are clearly not even close to one of the worst teams to ever play in the superbowl. Nor did they lose the game by as much as many other teams before them, which were clearly worse team than they were. And saying they are in the worst conference in the league? Duh there are only 2 conferences genius, one of them will be the best and the other will be the worst, thats how it works.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
WHY even post this? They are clearly not even close to one of the worst teams to ever play in the superbowl. Nor did they lose the game by as much as many other teams before them, which were clearly worse team than they were. And saying they are in the worst conference in the league? Duh there are only 2 conferences genius, one of them will be the best and the other will be the worst, thats how it works.

Stupidity

If that's the case, then the Colts have to be one of the worst Super Bowl Champions. They only won by 12, the offense scored only 22 points, this coming from the "Best Quarterback in the World."

This wasn't a 55-10 drubbing or a 52-17 beating. The Bears made a game of it, but the Colts had a much better scheme and made better halftime adjustments. If they hadn't done that, the game would have been closer.

I usually feel sorry when people gang up on you in threads, but when you post something like this.. really, I feel no pity.

great column and he makes great points. sadly, i think that a lot of bear fans didn't even enjoy this season. people were more preoccupied with bashing/defending grossman than enjoying the second-best season the bears have had probably in the past 30 years.

and since the game ended it's even been worse. two days after the super bowl and were treated to stories in the times and trib about jeff garthia's interest in the bears? why in the flock would we want garthia? why are people clamoring for this guy? what has he ever accomplished that suggest he'd step in and be good here? it just boggles the mind.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)

I hope that if you ever wonder why a majority of the posters here have an ill perception of you, you go back and look at this post.

I mean, I know the Pats killed the Bears... err, wait, they didn't. They beat them by four... on their homefield.

Please... get a clue.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 07:48 AM)

Clearly the Jets were better than the Bears...afterall they did beat us in there home stadium right? Oh wait, wrong. For god sakes we out played the Pats in New England and could have and should have won that game. Albeit I give the Pats all the credit for finishing and pulling off the win but the Bear bashing is beyond ridiculous.

We pretty much rolled through the season and people still whine.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
Clearly the Jets were better than the Bears...afterall they did beat us in there home stadium right? Oh wait, wrong. For god sakes we out played the Pats in New England and could have and should have won that game. Albeit I give the Pats all the credit for finishing and pulling off the win but the Bear bashing is beyond ridiculous.

We pretty much rolled through the season and people still whine.

I heart the Bears, but we did not outplay the Pats. Our defense played wonderfully, but the only reason we even had a first down was because of multiple bad pass interference calls. Rex threw up so many rainbows in that game I wanted to vomit.

Dont worry the worst Super Bowl team will always be the Patriots.

Refrigerator Perry for the score!

46-10

Total Net Yards New England: 123

Average Yard Per Rush: .6

6 Turnovers

Taking out Grogan, 4 yards rushing total.

For comparison sake:

Grossman had more yards than the entire New England team.

T. Jones had 10 yards less.

Quite frankly the dumbest post I have ever seen on this website considering you are a patriots fan, and should know the worst team in Super Bowl history for now until eternity will always be that s***ty team with the lame ass patriot on the helmet.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite frankly the dumbest post I have ever seen on this website considering you are a patriots fan, and should know the worst team in Super Bowl history for now until eternity will always be that s***ty team with the lame ass patriot on the helmet.

One of the reasons I posted it. A Patriots team that I wasn't alive to see. :)

It doesnt matter, everyone knows that team is the worst Super Bowl team by far.

I really cant even think of 1 good player on that team.

Atleast the Broncos who got smoked by the Niners had Elway, and the Bills had a few HOF's when they got killed by the Boys.

ALthough Denver did take 2 beatings if you count the Redksins too.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
Haha, relax.

Don't forget to change your tampon, Soxtalk.

PM to RockRaines that couldn't be sent because of being blocked:

I was joking around in the Bears thread. I didn't like all this agreeing we'd had of late. :)

And you can drop the sexist s*** too. You are an idiot.

I am in the middle on this. Downey has been a pathetic, cheerleading, pom pom waving and skirt wearing Bears homer all year....but at the same time, they DID make the Super Bowl. The problem is, the Bears would have been the 5th best team in the AFC, so really they were the 5th best team in football, but just so happened to be in a different conference than the 4 better ones. Interesting debate though.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
I was joking around in the Bears thread. I didn't like all this agreeing we'd had of late. :)

:fight

i still think the Raiders of a few years back was one of the worst teams of all time.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
I am in the middle on this. Downey has been a pathetic, cheerleading, pom pom waving and skirt wearing Bears homer all year....but at the same time, they DID make the Super Bowl. The problem is, the Bears would have been the 5th best team in the AFC, so really they were the 5th best team in football, but just so happened to be in a different conference than the 4 better ones. Interesting debate though.

Better than the bears:

indy (playoff indy)

San Diego

Pats (tie IMO)

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the only part of my post that I was serious about. Had the Bears been in the AFC, I don't think they make the Super Bowl, the AFC Championship, and likely would have been a Wild Card team. Of course they destroyed the Jets, who beat the Patriots, who beat blah blah blah.. Definitly an interesting debate though.

BTW - Woman belong in the kitchen.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:fight

i still think the Raiders of a few years back was one of the worst teams of all time.

They were awful too, good point. I just liked Big Bad Bill Romanowski.