Sox vs. Rox, March 10th 2007, 2:05 CST (SS)

Capn12

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)
There are three games televised next week. One more on MLBTV next Sunday. No way he avoids pitching all of these days.

Judging from his stats, he hardly appears ready for the majors. Although I'm not sure how hard he's throwing or what pitches he's using.

Judging what stats? It's spring training. STATS DON"T MATTER

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
I really want to reserve judgment on Masset until I actually get a chance to see him pitch. But yeah, considering how he's pitched thus far this spring, I'm not all that ready to guarantee him a bullpen spot.

I know no one thinks they know anything, but some writers at Baseball America told a friend that Masset was terrible, and the Rangers did a good job of finding a team that thinks he has value.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
Eduardo Perez hits his 2nd HR of the game.

Best news of the week.

Spring Training or not, when a guy is out there trying to impress and win a job in the bullpen, and gets constantly torched, never making his pitches, etc...it DOES say alot, regardless of actual stats.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Judging what stats? It's spring training. STATS DON"T MATTER

Of course.

What guidelines are the coaching staff using to determine the 5th starter, again?

I'm sure you'll just wait until Williams comments on Masset, then agree with him; regardless of the results.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
Of course.

What guidelines are the coaching staff using to determine the 5th starter, again?

I'm sure you'll just wait until Williams comments on Masset, then agree with him; regardless of the results.

Considering they actually get to watch him pitch, I'll go with what the coaches say. How many times have you seen him pitch this spring to determine that he isn't ready for the majors?

They are using what they see. If the guys throw strikes. I would imagine they know how to evaluate pitchers, especiallly in spring training.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Considering they actually get to watch him pitch, I'll go with what the coaches say. How many times have you seen him pitch this spring to determine that he isn't ready for the majors?

They are using what they see. If the guys throw strikes. I would imagine they know how to evaluate pitchers, especiallly in spring training.

Masset seems like one of those guys who looks great when he's just throwing to the catcher on the side. However, as his numbers in the minors show, he struggles to actually get hitters out. I hope KW didn't make a mistake by putting so much stake into winter league numbers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 06:11 PM)
Masset seems like one of those guys who looks great when he's just throwing to the catcher on the side. However, as his numbers in the minors show, he struggles to actually get hitters out. I hope KW didn't make a mistake by putting so much stake into winter league numbers.

He could be crap. Worst pitcher ever. Total bust. But no one here can use his spring training numbers to determine that, or to determine if he is major league ready. That goes for pretty much any player, with good or bad numbers. Spring Training numbers don't mean jack s***

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)

Did you not read my post earlier?

If he's throwing strikes, they're sure getting hit around fairly hard. Remember, too, Masset is pitching late in games when opposing lineups are full of fringe players and prospects.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)

Considering the way Danks looks, I am not that broken up that Masset doesnt look like a stud in the pen yet. He has a few weeks to get on track. Danks however is showing the kids what you are supposed to do. Attack the strikezone with your stuff, and not get into constant hittter counts. I dont care how hard you throw, if you get into hitter counts all the time you are going to get rocked. Throw strikes, attack the hitters with your best and let the cards unfold.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

....aside from the You Tube clip from the Rangers TV show on Fox sports, have you ever actually seen Masset pitch? :huh:

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
He could be crap. Worst pitcher ever. Total bust. But no one here can use his spring training numbers to determine that, or to determine if he is major league ready. That goes for pretty much any player, with good or bad numbers. Spring Training numbers don't mean jack s***

I agree with this

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)

bulls***. You don't think Ozzie is looking at Erstad's and Anderson's numbers and coming to a conclusion? It's pretty easy to see who's hitting better in Arizona when looking at the numbers. How about Boone last year? Does he make the team without the numbers he put up?

Numbers matter, and don't try and color it any other way. They can be skewed, but that doesn't mean they don't matter.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
bulls***. You don't think Ozzie is looking at Erstad's and Anderson's numbers and coming to a conclusion? It's pretty easy to see who's hitting better in Arizona when looking at the numbers. How about Boone last year? Does he make the team without the numbers he put up?

Numbers matter, and don't try and color it any other way. They can be skewed, but that doesn't mean they don't matter.

Ozzie came to the conclusion the day we signed Erstad that he would be an every day starter. Anyone who didn't see this obviously doesn't follow Ozzie's style. I just hope Erstad turns out to be good....I'm optimistic.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
Well if we are choosing the 5th starter by stats, Danks is your guy.

I would be thrilled if Danks gets the 5th starter position.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
Well if we are choosing the 5th starter by stats, Danks is your guy.

Well hopefully we can get Danks a start or 2 to see how he does against the regulars at the first part of the game. Maybe some away games, when they are inclined to play more of their regulars.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 06:18 PM)

Yah. Look at Boone. Was awesome in ST, came up and got absolutely ROCKED. Was terrible at first. NUmbers in Spring Training don't matter. They might use them to help in their evaluation, but they have nothing to do with how a player will perform when the season starts. ESPECIALLY in Arizona.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
Well hopefully we can get Danks a start or 2 to see how he does against the regulars at the first part of the game. Maybe some away games, when they are inclined to play more of their regulars.

Out of Floyd, Haeger, Masset, Gio, Danks, he is the best so far this spring. I know Charlie would be successful on the team, but Danks is trying to prove he belongs with the big club.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
Yah. Look at Boone. Was awesome in ST, came up and got absolutely ROCKED. Was terrible at first. NUmbers in Spring Training don't matter. They might use them to help in their evaluation, but they have nothing to do with how a player will perform when the season starts. ESPECIALLY in Arizona.

Boone last year was getting a lot of his action against the minor leaguers, and not a lot of apperances against the major leaguers in ST. He came late to the major league ST, because he was pitching in the minors camp and was discovered by pitching against Thome and a few others in some scrimages. My point is, that you need to get your guys innings, and the guys you think are ready to take a bigger jump, you pitch in away games in a starting position. This way you get to see them against major leaguers, and with away games you get a propensity of more of the regulars in the lineup for the opposition.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
Boone last year was getting a lot of his action against the minor leaguers, and not a lot of apperances against the major leaguers in ST. He came late to the major league ST, because he was pitching in the minors camp and was discovered by pitching against Thome and a few others in some scrimages. My point is, that you need to get your guys innings, and the guys you think are ready to take a bigger jump, you pitch in away games in a starting position. This way you get to see them against major leaguers, and with away games you get a propensity of more of the regulars in the lineup for the opposition.

They were impressed that Logan K'd Thome and Mackowiak during the scrimmage. Am I allowed to joke that 90 pct of the lefties in baseball can do that?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
Out of Floyd, Haeger, Masset, Gio, Danks, he is the best so far this spring. I know Charlie would be successful on the team, but Danks is trying to prove he belongs with the big club.

So far this spring Haeger, Danks and Gio impress me the most of the starting kids. I think out of the bunch, these will be the kids that will be here for the long run. Broadway needs some seasoning the minors, and he needs to learn that 2 seamer in and out.

Gio needs more seasoning to get his control in order. His stuff is there, but he needs more polish.

Haeger is ready and Danks seems ready. Danks has something that Buerhle had, and it seemed that Bmac had as as starter. Stones. The ability to use your talent within the strike zone. I have seen how many prospects come up, looking great and then the minute they get on the mound, they pucker up and walk the world and get into hitters counts. Haeger and Danks so far have shown that they will attack.

Floyd probably could use more time in the minors working on his control.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
Floyd probably could use more time in the minors working on his control.

I'd really like to see Cooper work with Floyd, and have him go down to the minors in order to work on the stuff and get confidence that he can get hitters out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
They were impressed that Logan K'd Thome and Mackowiak during the scrimmage. Am I allowed to joke that 90 pct of the lefties in baseball can do that?

They were impressed by his stuff. He's a lefty throwing in the low-90s (92-93) with an unorthodox throwing style. Also showed decent command of a breaking ball.

There's no doubt in my mind that Boone has the stuff to be, at the very least, a great LOOGY. Hopefully he can be a little better in between the ears this year.