Sox @ Rangers, March 13

Heads22

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Floyd having a a full-scale meltdown as he loses his job as 5th starter.

You say "as he loses" as if the competition is already over. There'll be another start or two before ST is over, and Danks has yet to enter this game yet.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Floyd having a a full-scale meltdown as he loses his job as 5th starter.

SSI, when you say 6-4, do you mean Texas scored an additional couple runs or have we added on?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
Floyds line 6 runs 6 earned 2 walks 1 k 8 hits

Damn all earned huh? Surprisingly the 2 walks bother me the most considering I'm sure those two walks scored or had some kind of effect on his outing.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)

Not even Williams or Jphat can spit that.

Someone REALLY needs to come forward and explain what they saw in Floyd that made trading for him a necessity.

This is a situation where the organization probably wishes it could avoid. If he's bad at the end of spring training, in comparison to Danks/Haeger, no roster position should be guaranteed. Yet, I still think it will be. I guess we'll see how Danks fares the remainder of the game.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
Ian,

The only issue that I have with Mack in center today, is that you have 2 kids fighting for a job and you want to give them the best opportunity for success. Having someone play a position that they are not comfortable at with 2 contact pitchers on the mound is not the best for success. Its not a big deal in the long run, but you just want to evaluate it with the best light.

Tom,

You know as well as anybody that a million factors could have led to Mackowiak playing CF. Perhaps Erstad felt a little tight in the pre-game warm-ups and Ozzie wanted him in a corner outfield position where he may not have to cover as much ground. Maybe there is an actual possibility Erstad starts the year as the White Sox starting left fielder. Maybe he wants Mackowiak to get out there for one game with the big skys so that if called upon during the season, he can fall back on a spring training performance rather than not playing CF since the previous year.

It's a spring training game. This is the place to work all the kinks out. There are absolutely no grounds on, which to call out a manager, present today. C'mon.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
Maybe Ozzie wants to see how mentally tough the pitchers are to pitch over mistakes made by fielders. Sometimes this can be a good mark for a pitchers. Do they hang their head? Do they glare at the feilder. Do they fall apart and give up a big inning>

Also a possibility. Use a bit of baseball acumen here.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
(sigh)

I'm ready for Williams to tell me how tremendous his breaking ball was, or how the line didn't indicate how "impressive" he was.

I still believe he'll ultimately make the team. Williams needs to show tangible proof that trading Garcia provided our ballclub with a player available to help this season.

Hey those runs up on the board are just numbers -- they are just another statistic. The Sox scout the player, not the stats.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
Someone REALLY needs to come forward and explain what they saw in Floyd that made trading for him a necessity.

The thing that bothers me is that I don't mind the trade as far as Floyd comming here, is just that I believe we could have gotten more for Freddy. Maybe a top/solid spect or two besides Gio. In this era even from only one more year on his deal, Freddy Garcia is a very solid pitcher whose stats were not bad at all especially against alot of other horrible pitchers that got big deals. That's why I didn't say much about the deal when it was done I was on the "wait and see" mode.

Edited by SoxAce

Today's B Game

With the Dbacks ended in a 6-6 tie. Jermaine Dye homered, Mike MacDougal was lights out (four strikeouts in 1.2 IP), and Charlie Haeger allowed three runs over 5.0 IP. Arizona scored three times in the eighth of Boone Logan (3 ER/1.1 IP, 2 SO) to tie the game.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
The thing that bothers me is that I don't mind the trade as far as Floyd comming here, is just that I believe we could have gotten more for Freddy. Maybe a top/solid spect or two besides Gio. In this era even from only one more year on his deal, Freddy Garcia is a very solid pitcher whose stats were not bad at all especially against alot of other horrible pitchers that got big deals. That's why I didn't say much about the deal when it was done I was on the "wait and see" mode.

Or maybe that was the deal, give it or take it. Maybe that was the best deal they could get for Garcia from ANYONE? It's entirely possible with the one year left on the contract and drop in velocity last year.

The 4th ends and Danks gives up no runs, on no hits.

Well I think its Danks, the dumb box is saying Malone.

Strike that, they let Floyd go 3 and 2/3s and Malone relieved him.

Now the only question is, how many regulars will Danks face.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
I think Corwin "maddog" Malone is in.

Well hopefull maddog is sitting on the bench in the next inning. I would like to see how Danks fairs against some of the regulars. Maddog can get some work in on the side later. Watching Danks beat up on the 3rd stringers shows nothing.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)

Add another 2/3IP, another hit and two more strikeouts.

Wonder if this is the moment we'll hear about from management. That near the end he "settled down."

Gameday says Corwin Malone entered the game after Floyd. I hope to finish the inning and nothing more.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
Or maybe that was the deal, give it or take it. Maybe that was the best deal they could get for Garcia from ANYONE? It's entirely possible with the one year left on the contract and drop in velocity last year.

I highly, highly doubt it. I understand your point, even though I don't feel we were patient enough as well. We did rush into a deal considering Freddy was dealt rather early. I also feel the low velocity was a bit overrated as well considering Freedy developed a sinker that is pretty good. Not saying it isn't a concern because his fastball was quicker in the past, but it's not like his era was 5.00+. His era was still in the 4.50s not great of course, but Jon Garland solid. As a matter of fact the last five seasons his era has been 4.51, 3.20, 4.46, 3.87, and 4.53 respectively.