Sox @ Rangers, March 13

Heads22

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
Mack's probably in CF due to the fact that the Sox are playing a "B" game today too.

I can't believe there isn't one extra OF with CF experience available. No non-roster invitee? Sweeney? Anderson? Orlando?

I just hope a Mackowiak gaffe doesn't play a factor into either Floyd or Danks line.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
The worst defensive player out there today is Pedro Lopez. I was in Tucson earlier this spring and the guy has no defensive ability what so ever. As far as Danks and Floyd go with this crappy defense. It could also be a test of their capactity to pitch over defensive lapses.

This was a travel game and a pretty far one was it not????

Lopez is actually one of the top defensive prospects in the organization. You might have seen him on a bad day or something, but he's generally regarded as pretty solid.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
We could only hope for that situation. After seeing how long it took Pods to get comfortable after surgery last year, there's no doubt in my mind he should spend the first decade, sorry, I meant month, on the DL.

It just makes so much sense. That'd be arguably the best bench in baseball. Hall a perfect compliment to AJ; Ozuna as the speed guy who somehow maintains a .330 average without hitting the ball out of the infield; Cintron who can hit both ways reasonably well and can play both MIF spots; Mackowiak as one of the better bench players in all of baseball (when not used in CF, of course). The only thing it's missing is a true power guy, and that's where Perez fits in.

Gripe all you want about the Sox' offseason, but I feel the biggest move -- or in thie case, non-move -- was retaining Podsednik.

But at this point I sound like a broken record -- I think I've posted this exact same thing in different words about a hundred times this winter.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
Lopez is actually one of the top defensive prospects in the organization. You might have seen him on a bad day or something, but he's generally regarded as pretty solid.

Huge error yesterday as well. He is getting a good look this spring and maybe I caught him on a bad day.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
4-3, Floyd gets roughed up.

(sigh)

I'm ready for Williams to tell me how tremendous his breaking ball was, or how the line didn't indicate how "impressive" he was.

I still believe he'll ultimately make the team. Williams needs to show tangible proof that trading Garcia provided our ballclub with a player available to help this season.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
You people are joking, right? You are seriously joking?

It's spring f***ing training.

Get over yourselves.

Ian,

The only issue that I have with Mack in center today, is that you have 2 kids fighting for a job and you want to give them the best opportunity for success. Having someone play a position that they are not comfortable at with 2 contact pitchers on the mound is not the best for success. Its not a big deal in the long run, but you just want to evaluate it with the best light.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
You people are joking, right? You are seriously joking?

It's spring f***ing training.

Get over yourselves.

I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but with Danks and Floyd you have to judge these two based on something tangible. If not major league competition, what else? Spring training matters for these two.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
Ian,

The only issue that I have with Mack in center today, is that you have 2 kids fighting for a job and you want to give them the best opportunity for success. Having someone play a position that they are not comfortable at with 2 contact pitchers on the mound is not the best for success. Its not a big deal in the long run, but you just want to evaluate it with the best light.

Maybe Ozzie wants to see how mentally tough the pitchers are to pitch over mistakes made by fielders. Sometimes this can be a good mark for a pitchers. Do they hang their head? Do they glare at the feilder. Do they fall apart and give up a big inning>

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but with Danks and Floyd you have to judge these two based on something tangible. If not major league competition, what else? Spring training matters for these two.

It matters with Erstad and Terrero too, though Erstad moreso simply because he needs to be able to prove that he can stay healthy and play defense in the OF.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Maybe Ozzie wants to see how mentally tough the pitchers are to pitch over mistakes made by fielders. Sometimes this can be a good mark for a pitchers. Do they hang their head? Do they glare at the feilder. Do they fall apart and give up a big inning>

Don't you believe such an idea is sort of bad for the morale of players on the field? Would you want to be put out as a "test" for pitchers -- almost expected to fail defensively?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
Don't you believe such an idea is sort of bad for the morale of players on the field? Would you want to be put out as a "test" for pitchers -- almost expected to fail defensively?

If I got a nice dinner for it later that night, sure

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)

I thought about that, but its a hard thing to define. How does this work. When you have a person playing CF, probably the hardest outfield position, your first step really defines how you get to the ball. A person who isnt confident in the position such as Mack may make take more chances early in a game, but may lay up on a ball allowing for a lot more balls to fall in later in the game. Its hard to give even billing for that type of fielder in CF. These are 2 contact pitchers, and all things being equal its hard to add bad defense behind them as something to distribute equally.