Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
New Arctic Monkeys is absolutely fantastic. Flourescent Adolescent is an excellent song.

And I'm just getting into the new NIN record, totally weird story with that whole album but it caught my interest.

That artic monkey's album is great. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 18, 2007 -> 12:54 AM)
3 and a half songs through Boxer by the National and am already blown away. Have never heard this band's music before. But this album is really, really good so far.

Some insight into just how old I am:

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read "the National" was this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_National_(newspaper)

Anyone else remember this? The all-sports newspaper?

QUOTE(bmags @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
oh man national are great. Alligator was tops.

Boxer is much better in my opinion

anyways I saw the Arcade Fire last night, and it was absolutely everything I hoped it would be. They played every single song I wanted to hear, the band was in great form and very energetic, Win's voice is in good shape, the crowd was great, I would say it is only the second show I've ever been to (out of 20 or so) that I have ever been 100% satisfied with

If any of you have a chance to go tonight or tomorrow I would do it, it will be a great show.

here's the setlist (I think this is exact order, or very close to it)

1 Black Mirror

2 Keep The Car Running

3 Antichrist Television Blues

4 No Cars Go

5 Haiti

6 Neighbourhood #2 (Laika)

7 Intervention

8 Neon Bible

9 My Body Is A Cage

10 Windowsill

11 The Well And The Lighthouse

12 Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out)

13 Rebellion (Lies)

ENCORE I:

14 Ocean Of Noise

15 Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels)

ENCORE II:

16 In The Backseat

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 20, 2007 -> 06:34 AM)
Just heard the new song from "Smashing Pumpkins" (aka The Billy and Jimmy Show) and I'm unimpressed. It's not a terrible song, but it's just really forgettable.

I always felt like their whole career was forgettable.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 20, 2007 -> 06:34 AM)
Just heard the new song from "Smashing Pumpkins" (aka The Billy and Jimmy Show) and I'm unimpressed. It's not a terrible song, but it's just really forgettable.

Twice in the car I've heard a song by a band that sounds so much like early Pumpkins, it's not even flattering. I keep forgetting the name of the band. Anyone know the band by any chance? Once I see the name again I'll remember.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 23, 2007 -> 03:37 AM)
Twice in the car I've heard a song by a band that sounds so much like early Pumpkins, it's not even flattering. I keep forgetting the name of the band. Anyone know the band by any chance? Once I see the name again I'll remember.

Well, with THAT kind of detailed description, who could fail to name that band???

"You know, it's the band with that guy and they kinda sound like that other band from a few years ago....."

:P

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 23, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
Well, with THAT kind of detailed description, who could fail to name that band???

"You know, it's the band with that guy and they kinda sound like that other band from a few years ago....."

:P

"Lazy Eye" by Silversun Pick Ups. Go on their myspace for a listen.

I know nothing else about this band except that this song is Pumpkin-esque. I thought IT was the new Billy Corgan experience.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 18, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
3 and a half songs through Boxer by the National and am already blown away. Have never heard this band's music before. But this album is really, really good so far.

Alligator has gotten more play on my ipod than anything since summer of '05. I thought it would be one of those albums that gets a lot of play and then I'd tire of it but that's just not the case. Boxer is a nice follow up; I'm happy with it. Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers deserves mention too as it's also pretty top notch but I can't get into their self-titled debut.

I'd love to see these guys live. I know they were touring with Clap Your Hands last summer or the summer before and The National were headlining. I heard after CYHSY! played, half the audience would leave before The National took the stage which is sad since CYHSY! blows. I see they're playing June 07 at Metro, god I'd kill to see that show. Unfortunately they're not coming my way.

Best all time FEMALE rock guitarist is ........??

Throw some names at me.

This popped in my head as I was (finally) listening to the Rodrigo and Gabriela disc. Solid record and an interesting cover of 'Stairway To Heaven'.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 25, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
Best all time FEMALE rock guitarist is ........??

Throw some names at me.

This popped in my head as I was (finally) listening to the Rodrigo and Gabriela disc. Solid record and an interesting cover of 'Stairway To Heaven'.

Nancy Wilson of Heart was pretty damn good.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ May 26, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
Nancy Wilson of Heart was pretty damn good.

Nancy's the guitarist (although she does some singing), but Ann's the lead singer and she is still REALLY good.

Some favorite female singers of mine, along with Ann:

Annie Lennox

Chrissie Hynde

Shirley Manson