Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 02:17 AM)
I've heard a few of the songs, they sound pretty decent. I heard the tribute to ODB, it's very well done.

In prep of 8 Diagrams, I've been listening to a lot of Fishscale (Ghostface) and Enter the Wutang. Gosh damn those are some phenomenal CDs. I might honestly be more excited for Ghostface's new album than I am for Wutang's.

You should be excited for the new Ghostface, i'm listening to it as i'm typing this and it's good good stuff.

I'm continuing my 90s listening. Lately, I've been hearing lots of Gin Blossoms (New Miserable Experience) and Weezer (mostly the Blue Album), but there's been some Nirvana and Wallflowers thrown in there as well. Also some Better than Ezra, Eve 6, and Oasis.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
I'm continuing my 90s listening. Lately, I've been hearing lots of Gin Blossoms (New Miserable Experience) and Weezer (mostly the Blue Album), but there's been some Nirvana and Wallflowers thrown in there as well. Also some Better than Ezra, Eve 6, and Oasis.

No need to stray too far away from that decade of music.

So Morrisey is suing NME for printing the following quotes:

"Although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears. So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany. If you travel to Sweden, it still has a Swedish identity.

"But travel to England and you have no idea where you are."

Morrissey then gave a follow-up interview in which he clarified his remarks: "It could be construed that the reason I wouldn't wish to live in England is the immigration explosion. And that's not true at all."

Actually, I guess he demanded NME print an apology and they refused.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with anything he said. :huh

Didn't see a thread about the latest Malibu fires, so I'll put this here. Very sad story about Butch Walker, a musician whose work I like a lot (or at least used to like a lot, his last two releases did nothing for me):

In a tragic turn of events, it has come to light that the rental home owned by Flea that burned in the Malibu, California, wildfires over the weekend was being occupied by Avril Lavigne producer Butch Walker — and he lost everything in the blaze.

Walker was touring New York at the time of the incident, and "had just consolidated my entire recording studio and house from Atlanta into the one house in Malibu," the songwriter/producer, who has also worked with Pink, Fall Out Boy, the Academy Is..., Tommy Lee and others, said in a press release. "I lost everything I've ever owned. Every master of every song I've ever recorded, every piece of recording equipment, guitars, drums and things I've collected over the years, cars, motorcycles, every family memorial, heirloom, picture and document we ever had. ... Gone. I feel like I finally know the difference between 'going back' and 'going home.' "

Over the weekend, Flea said in a text message obtained by the Los Angeles Times that his $4.8 million home in Corral Canyon was "burnt to a crisp" by the fires on Saturday morning. According to TMZ.com, a second, $10 million Malibu home owned by Flea — the one in which he currently resides — did not burn. The one that did was a house that the bassist had been renting — most recently to Walker — and currently has up for sale, the site reports.

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose also had a close call when the fires burned his roof and singed some of his property. According to a report on KCAL-TV, Rose's assistant said the rocker "was with the hose everywhere" on his property, fighting to save his home.

The fires, which have largely been contained, were the worst in Malibu in years, according to the Times. In late October, another series of fires forced evacuations in the area but hit the San Diego area much harder.

I can't imagine losing everything I've ever owned. What a helpless feeling that must be.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 03:50 AM)
So Morrisey is suing NME for printing the following quotes:

"Although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears. So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany. If you travel to Sweden, it still has a Swedish identity.

"But travel to England and you have no idea where you are."

Morrissey then gave a follow-up interview in which he clarified his remarks: "It could be construed that the reason I wouldn't wish to live in England is the immigration explosion. And that's not true at all."

Actually, I guess he demanded NME print an apology and they refused.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with anything he said. :huh

I see what he meant, but I also see where someone could take his comments as slightly xenophobic. I don't feel they are, but I can see where someone could take them that way at face value.

Seems to be a bit of an over-reaction to flip out about NME printing what he said, though.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
Didn't see a thread about the latest Malibu fires, so I'll put this here. Very sad story about Butch Walker, a musician whose work I like a lot (or at least used to like a lot, his last two releases did nothing for me):

In a tragic turn of events, it has come to light that the rental home owned by Flea that burned in the Malibu, California, wildfires over the weekend was being occupied by Avril Lavigne producer Butch Walker — and he lost everything in the blaze.

Walker was touring New York at the time of the incident, and "had just consolidated my entire recording studio and house from Atlanta into the one house in Malibu," the songwriter/producer, who has also worked with Pink, Fall Out Boy, the Academy Is..., Tommy Lee and others, said in a press release. "I lost everything I've ever owned. Every master of every song I've ever recorded, every piece of recording equipment, guitars, drums and things I've collected over the years, cars, motorcycles, every family memorial, heirloom, picture and document we ever had. ... Gone. I feel like I finally know the difference between 'going back' and 'going home.' "

Over the weekend, Flea said in a text message obtained by the Los Angeles Times that his $4.8 million home in Corral Canyon was "burnt to a crisp" by the fires on Saturday morning. According to TMZ.com, a second, $10 million Malibu home owned by Flea — the one in which he currently resides — did not burn. The one that did was a house that the bassist had been renting — most recently to Walker — and currently has up for sale, the site reports.

Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose also had a close call when the fires burned his roof and singed some of his property. According to a report on KCAL-TV, Rose's assistant said the rocker "was with the hose everywhere" on his property, fighting to save his home.

The fires, which have largely been contained, were the worst in Malibu in years, according to the Times. In late October, another series of fires forced evacuations in the area but hit the San Diego area much harder.

I can't imagine losing everything I've ever owned. What a helpless feeling that must be.

I suppose you never know how you'll react, but if it was me, I'd be thankful that no one was home at the time.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm not really into the MC5. Given the kind of bands I like, I thought I would be, but they just don't do it for me.

KICK OUT THE JAMS...MutherF*****s.

MC5's role in the evolution of hardcore rocknroll can't be over-stated.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
I suppose you never know how you'll react, but if it was me, I'd be thankful that no one was home at the time.

As would I.

I guess I meant after the initial shock and "thank goodness no one's hurt" phase, I think it's hard to imagine the feeling of losing every material possession you have.

I don't have a ton of stuff, but just thinking about pictures, childhood report cards, my daughter's drawings, newspaper clippings from when I played baseball, little gifts and things my Grandmother gave me....losing all that stuff is just unfathomable to me.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 07:13 PM)
I see what he meant, but I also see where someone could take his comments as slightly xenophobic. I don't feel they are, but I can see where someone could take them that way at face value.

Seems to be a bit of an over-reaction to flip out about NME printing what he said, though.

well, it is Morissey.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
Relistened to ODB's n**** Please album recently - now that's some good stuff.

But the best WuTang solo album has to be GZA's Liquid Swords.

Raekwon-Only Built 4 Cuban Linx or Ghostface Killah-Ironman

Anybody see this? I guess Journey found their new vocalist on You Tube:

http://www.ticketnews.com/Journey-Turns-to...-Singer01271098

And here is a link to the guy with his band:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6HjcCzgCCX0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=90PGQPjIDEA&feature=related (This one is "Don't Stop Believing" and it's all close-up of the vocalist. The guy is REALLY good.)

Dec 05, 2007

JOURNEY WELCOMES ARNEL PINEDA

WITH “OPEN ARMS” TO THEIR FAMILY

AS THE BAND’S NEW LEAD SINGER

December 5, 2007 -- After much speculation…the wait is finally over.

JOURNEY--Neal Schon (guitar), Jonathan Cain (keyboards), Ross Valory (bass), Deen Castronovo (drums)--is proud to introduce fans all over the world to their new lead singer, Arnel Pineda (“pin-eh-da”). He replaces Jeff Scott Soto, who parted ways with the band earlier this year after stepping in for Steve Augeri, who had to leave the band in 2006 for medical reasons.

Arnel hails from Quezon City in the Philippines and has been singing Journey songs--in addition to original material--with his band, The Zoo, for the past couple of years in clubs all over his homeland. Joining the legendary band is a dream come true for him.

“It’s so exciting to sing with one of the best bands in the world. It’ll be a lot of hard work on my part and I’m actually looking forward to the scrutiny I’ll get from the hardcore JOURNEY fans. I know they’ll expect me to sound exactly like ‘the voice’ (Steve Perry), but that will never happen. I know there's only one Steve Perry in this world.”

When it was time for JOURNEY to look for a new lead singer, the internet came to their rescue. Guitarist Neal Schon wanted someone new to the music business, so he turned to YouTube. After finding Arnel singing “Faithfully,” he knew he had found the perfect frontman.

“I was frustrated about not having a singer,” explains guitarist Neal Schon, “so I went on YouTube for a couple of days and just sat on it for hours. I was starting to think I was never going to find anybody. But then I found The Zoo and I watched a bunch of different video clips that they had posted. After watching the videos over and over again, I had to walk away from the computer and let what I heard sink in because it sounded too good to be true. I thought, ‘he can’t be that good.’ But he is that good, he’s the real deal and so tremendously talented. Arnel doesn’t sound synthetic and he’s not emulating anyone. I tried to get a hold of him through YouTube and I finally heard from him that night, but it took some convincing to get him to believe that it really was me and not an imposter.”

Arnel Pineda picks up the story: “My friend Noel picked up the message on YouTube and told me it was from Neal. I thought it was a hoax so I ignored it. Noel said, ‘what if it really was Neal and he wanted to offer you the chance of a lifetime?’ So I e-mailed Neal back and the rest is history.”

“Arnel brings a soulful and passionate voice to JOURNEY,” continues keyboardist Jonathan Cain. “His personality is very well-suited to our music. He’s a sincere, authentic person with a great smile and a big heart. I think fans are really going to love him. With Arnel’s soaring tenor, Journey returns to our heritage sound.”

Schon agrees, “We feel reborn. I think there’s a lot of chemistry between the five of us. At first we were going to go into the studio and just write 4 songs, but now it’s escalated to a lot of great new and diverse material. The stuff sounds tremendous. Everyone’s so stoked about it. We feel very fortunate to have found Arnel.”

JOURNEY is currently working on a new album with legendary producer Kevin Shirley, which they hope to release by spring/summer 2008. Details will be announced early next year.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
Anybody see this? I guess Journey found their new vocalist on You Tube:

http://www.ticketnews.com/Journey-Turns-to...-Singer01271098

And here is a link to the guy with his band:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6HjcCzgCCX0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=90PGQPjIDEA&feature=related (This one is "Don't Stop Believing" and it's all close-up of the vocalist. The guy is REALLY good.)

What happend to Jeff Scott Soto?