Altman Leaves Arkansas for Creighton

They want Billy Gillispie is why. Don't know if they'll be able to get him or not. He'd definitely be an upgrade over Heath though. He had plenty of time at Arkansas and didn't do jack. He even got a miracle and got a tourney bid this year and then got embarrassed in the first round.

Arkansas basketball fans are the single most delusional fan base in sports. Reading their message board, you will find comments like that their heading coaching spot is spot is the most coveted job in all of basketball. And it's not just one or two silly comments, it's the entire board. Some think their just going to go right in and pluck Bill Self from Kansas. I don't even know where they get this stuff from.

Gillepsie will be seriously considered, but he has to know that they may be his last job for awhile. I could see him staying at A&M for a bit until a better offer comes.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
Arkansas basketball fans are the single most delusional fan base in sports. Reading their message board, you will find comments like that their heading coaching spot is spot is the most coveted job in all of basketball. And it's not just one or two silly comments, it's the entire board. Some think their just going to go right in and pluck Bill Self from Kansas. I don't even know where they get this stuff from.

Agree 100%

Gillespie would be an idiot to go there. Arkansas fans are morons, it's a much harder place to win at than Texas A&M (compare recruiting bases and expectations in each local area) and Gillespie should wait for a top, top job before he leaves A&M. As for Heath, the writing on the wall has been there for a while that he was toast after this year. I think he's a good coach and they sholdn't have done this but hey, Chris Lowery should be warned.....Heath is another in a growing list of mid major coaches who jumped at a "big" job ASAP and failed. I know it's about the money, but I'm just saying....

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 02:51 AM)
Gillespie would be an idiot to go there. Arkansas fans are morons, it's a much harder place to win at than Texas A&M (compare recruiting bases and expectations in each local area) and Gillespie should wait for a top, top job before he leaves A&M. As for Heath, the writing on the wall has been there for a while that he was toast after this year. I think he's a good coach and they sholdn't have done this but hey, Chris Lowery should be warned.....Heath is another in a growing list of mid major coaches who jumped at a "big" job ASAP and failed. I know it's about the money, but I'm just saying....

This isn't a step up job. It's a lateral move. I'm not going to rip on the fans, cuz I don't know how they are, except in football. But, Arkansas is not a destination job, like Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, etc. Neither is A&M, for that matter. I think Gillispie is going to wait for a big time job in a big time conference...that cares about basketball more than football. And if he keeps winning, that will come in the next couple of years.

PS...It's Gillispie, not Gillespie. FYI.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
This isn't a step up job. It's a lateral move. I'm not going to rip on the fans, cuz I don't know how they are, except in football. But, Arkansas is not a destination job, like Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, etc. Neither is A&M, for that matter. I think Gillispie is going to wait for a big time job in a big time conference...that cares about basketball more than football. And if he keeps winning, that will come in the next couple of years.

PS...It's Gillispie, not Gillespie. FYI.

Maybe I worded it wrong, because I agree on all counts. And yeah, I know, I'm bad with spelling names, lol.

And look how fast he turned the program around with just Texas talent. He would be crazy to leave for any job that isn't an obvious step up in my opinion. Going from A&M to Kentucky would make a lot of sense, but Arkansas' appeal can't be very high without an obvious recruiting base and an administration that just fired a coach who had back to back 21+ win seasons.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Arkansas thought they could pull a Self,Calipari, Pitino figure...they found themselves a coach who Kstate fired.

Yeah, and that same guy had about 14 pretty damn good years at Creighton. Altman was given a raw deal at K-state, and more than proved his worth at Creighton. Im sure he will be just fine at Arkansas

I like Altman and Iowa was supposed to be the job he was most willing to leave Creighton for. Too bad Barta is busy dicking around.

I'm kind of puzzled as to where Iowa is going with this whole thing. And after reading Iowa message boards, I'm convinced we have some of the most delusional fans in the world.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
I like Altman and Iowa was supposed to be the job he was most willing to leave Creighton for. Too bad Barta is busy dicking around.

I'm kind of puzzled as to where Iowa is going with this whole thing. And after reading Iowa message boards, I'm convinced we have some of the most delusional fans in the world.

You did tell me that Iowa was McDemott's dream job, so you're one of em. :)

Huge hit for Creighton considering a few assistant coaches might be going with him. The AD said he will stay at Creighton until a new coach is hired. Also, 4-star SG P'allen Stinnett has asked the university to drop his letter of intent so he can reopen his recruiting. A few of their other recruits are waiting to see who the new coach is.

And Stan Heath is the new coach of South Florida.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
Huge hit for Creighton considering a few assistant coaches might be going with him. The AD said he will stay at Creighton until a new coach is hired. Also, 4-star SG P'allen Stinnett has asked the university to drop his letter of intent so he can reopen his recruiting. A few of their other recruits are waiting to see who the new coach is.

And Stan Heath is the new coach of South Florida.

Altman's top assistant at Creighton Kevin McKenna, just accepted the Indiana State job too. He was very involved with their recruits.