White Sox @ Giants, 3/26/07

Balta1701

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
Brady Clark just got traded for Elmer Dessens

That's all it took?

Too bad he would have had no place on our ballclub.

If only we had Tracey. Hold onto him for a few more days and perhaps it would have been enough to land Damian Miller.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
FWIW, there have been 3 more computer models that have run projections for the 2007 MLB standings. The highest White Sox record was 74-88 in the models, and they didn't make the playoffs one time out of the 1,000 times the projections were run.

That because the programmers are from Cleveland.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
That's all it took?

Too bad he would have had no place on our ballclub.

If only we had Tracey. Hold onto him for a few more days and perhaps it would have been enough to land Damian Miller.

who will most likely be the back up, wiki or molina? bruce was saying molina...

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:57 PM)
who will most likely be the back up, wiki or molina? bruce was saying molina...

Those would be the two options from within the organization.

If we're looking for the best backup catcher, we'll have to look outwards -- and it would probably be between Javy Lopez and Damian Miller.

I'm just hoping, based on the return value for Brady Clark, we basically have to pay nothing for Miller.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)
Those would be the two options from within the organization.

If we're looking for the best backup catcher, we'll have to look outwards -- and it would probably be between Javy Lopez and Damian Miller.

I'm just hoping, based on the return value for Brady Clark, we basically have to pay nothing for Miller.

i agree. molina seems pretty solid defensively but you'll probably get nothing from him offensively. this just stinks, hopefully he wont miss the whole year or we get someone like miller.. :unsure:

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
We absolutely must get some offensive production from our back-up catcher.

well if thats the case, were going to have to look elsewhere to get a backup catcher. thats true though because im sick of all these garbage catchers weve had lately, davis, alomar, burke, olivo

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)
well if thats the case, were going to have to look elsewhere to get a backup catcher. thats true though because im sick of all these garbage catchers weve had lately, davis, alomar, burke, olivo

Olivo wasn't garbage. Actually, he'd be the ideal fit for back-up, but it will never happen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:17 PM)
Olivo wasn't garbage. Actually, he'd be the ideal fit for back-up, but it will never happen.

well he wasnt good enough to be starting, only if its a team like the royals, drays, marlins or something.

I think CanofCorn is right on.

We really have no idea how this team is going to pan out. We were picked to come in third--or worse--in '05 and we won the WS.

Last year we were picked not only to win the division, but to repeat, and we came in... third.

I'm all for underpromising and overdelivering.

Truth be told, I like the idea that nobody's paying attention to us or afraid of us--just the way I like it. Then the players can worry about playing ball and not eyeballing their charge to win the ring again.

C'mon! It's a White Sox tradition, being underdogs. Winning ugly. Remember how, first half in '05, we were being compared to the hitless wonders? Loved it.

I'm seeing the glass half-full here, people. Step off the ledge already.

We can all slit our wrists in July if we're six or more behind in the division. I'd prefer to put that off as long as possible.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
I'm seeing the glass half-full here, people. Step off the ledge already.

Please, never say that phrase again.

It's the mating call of the baseball retarded.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
Please, never say that phrase again.

It's the mating call of the baseball retarded.

It's the worst part of the home run call by Ed Farmer when Crede won the game against the Indians. I think he also said the same stupid line when Iguchi hit the slam to tie it against the Astros last year.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
lol wow, r u serious?

Yes....let's look at the positions they have more talent:

3b

SS

2b

LF

And it's not even close at those positions.

Both teams have awful center fielders.

It's a shame Girardi completely screwed over J. Johnson. They have some young pitchers who are more promising than what we have coming up.

Olivo's numbers were pretty good last year. He had similiar power numbers to AJP...it's just his walk total is astonishing.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
It's the worst part of the home run call by Ed Farmer when Crede won the game against the Indians. I think he also said the same stupid line when Iguchi hit the slam to tie it against the Astros last year.

It's just so annoying to me because I've rarely heard it used within a legitimate argument. Whether on talk radio or a message board.

No one is on any ledge. When people use it, it's typically associated with a problem that's worth worrying about. Such as Hall's absence effecting our ballclub.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
Yes....let's look at the positions they have more talent:

3b

SS

2b

LF

And it's not even close at those positions.

Both teams have awful center fielders.

It's a shame Girardi completely screwed over J. Johnson. They have some young pitchers who are more promising than what we have coming up.

Olivo's numbers were pretty good last year. He had similiar power numbers to AJP...it's just his walk total is astonishing.

ok, fine ur right, they have a lot of talent! of course, they have Cabrera!

So here's a question about today's game: is anyone surprised that Iguchi hit well batting second? Is it a forgone conclusion that he will bat lower in the order, or is it possible that he might be allowed to hit where he is most successful?

Can anyone here say the 2006 Cardinals or the 2005 White Sox had the most talent when they won their respective World Series? If this was truly the case, the Red Sox and the Yankees would win it every year. Granted talent is a big factor in making the playoffs but it's not the only means to the ultimate end. Baseball is such a great game and is so unpredictable that I've watched many extremely talented teams finish in last place. This year's team has more than enough talent to make the playoffs. It all hinges on whether or not that talent plays to its capabilities, long enough, and with everyone on the same page.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)

Farmer said "Get off the deck!!" which Boers and Bernstein later defined as "They were losing and now they're winning". I don't know if I buy any of it mainly because the phrase makes NO sense but that's what they said anyway.

QUOTE(ChiSoxLifer @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
Can anyone here say the 2006 Cardinals or the 2005 White Sox had the most talent when they won their respective World Series?

I'll give you the 2006 Cardinals...but here's the key thing. When all of the cards have been shown, when each team has had its season on the line...what is the one commonality? Their pitching stepped up. In 2005, the White Sox pitching staff carried a mediocre offense to 110 wins. The pitching was just phenomenal the entire year. In 2006, the Cardinals struggled, but when they hit the playoffs, they finally had a rotation where guys stepped up, and those pitchers took care of business. I was saying in July of last year that the Mets would lose in the playoffs the moment they ran into a team which was pitching well, and they did.

Most talent is not the issue. Most talent, and most performance, at the key spots is a much bigger issue to my eyes. You get starting pitching and bullpen pitching...and you look pretty darn good as long as you're putting something on the field. Especially if you combine that with defense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
Farmer said "Get off the deck!!" which Boers and Bernstein later defined as "They were losing and now they're winning". I don't know if I buy any of it mainly because the phrase makes NO sense but that's what they said anyway.

I believe the phrase "get off the deck" just means to quit being lackadaisical.

When the Score began playing the soundbye after the Iguchi grandslam I initially thought Farmio was yelling at fans to get off the fan deck. Out of context, you have no idea what he's saying.