Would you be happy with 1 of 3?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

now I know a lot of sox fans on here would say yes, and I also know the recent history of the Sox in Oakland, and I am still going to say I would not be happy with less than 2 of 3 from the A's. I think Jose is going to come out strong tonight and I just hope we can scratch a few across against harden. game 2 I feel good about Garland as he seems to throw pretty well in California in general. game 3, well that's a toss up, if any of the three games I feel least confident about it would be this game. for some reason i see kennedy giving us trouble. all in all, i gotta agree with ozzie i'm feeling 2 out of 3

thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It used to be Zito, Harden, and Haren, or the Big 3 before that. They are now down to Harden, Gaudin, and Kennedy. The Sox should be able to take 2 of 3.

It seems like the pitching is coming around, but the heart of the order needs to step up. Thome and Dye have looked pretty bad so far.

who's your pick to have a big series?

I'm thinking jermaine dye blows up in a big way this series.

on a sidenote, it's great to see the yanks lighting up ponson's s***ty ass. unfortunately that could actually be a bad thing in the long run as they will be quicker to pull the trigger on releasing him and bring garza back up

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
who's your pick to have a big series?

I'm thinking jermaine dye blows up in a big way this series.

on a sidenote, it's great to see the yanks lighting up ponson's s***ty ass. unfortunately that could actually be a bad thing in the long run as they will be quicker to pull the trigger on releasing him and bring garza back up

Juan Uribe. Despite being historically terrible at the Coliseum, Juan is slimmed down, taking pitches and has been the most effective hitter in the lineup for the Sox thus far this season. On top of that, in his career he's 1-2 w/ a HR vs Gaudin, 2-5 vs Harden and 2-6 vs Kennedy.

I picked Juan and Javy as my breakout players this year and I'm thinking this will be one of those series that Juan takes over.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
Juan Uribe. Despite being historically terrible at the Coliseum, Juan is slimmed down, taking pitches and has been the most effective hitter in the lineup for the Sox thus far this season. On top of that, in his career he's 1-2 w/ a HR vs Gaudin, 2-5 vs Harden and 2-6 vs Kennedy.

I picked Juan and Javy as my breakout players this year and I'm thinking this will be one of those series that Juan takes over.

yea i agree that juan looks like a man on a mission this year and i think hes gonna put up some nice numbers lets hope he keeps it rolling because he can carry this team on his back when hes hot

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
If you're happy with 1 out of 3, you must like the Sox chances at a top 5 pick in the June 2008 draft. 2 out of 3 should be what makes you happy and giddy with a sweep.

yes and no, when you consider the 4-23 record (0.148 winning pct.) in the last 27 games 1-2 (0.333 winning pct.) would actually be a decent series historically speaking

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
yes and no, when you consider the 4-23 record (0.148 winning pct.) in the last 27 games 1-2 (0.333 winning pct.) would actually be a decent series historically speaking

2007 is not 2001-2006 or whatever the hell that timetable is.

I don't give a s*** if they struggle historically, that is in the past for a reason.

There is no series this season where I will be happy with 1/3. Period. It is guaranteed to happen obviously, but when it does happen...you should be unhappy about it. You should go into Yankee Stadium when the Yankees have won 15 in a row wanting to take 2/3 or better. You should go into Minnesota with both Santana and Liriano scheduled to pitch wanting to take 2/3.

You do not win championships going 1/3 and being happy about it. You win championships by winning 2/3 and being pissed off that you didn't sweep someone.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
There is no series this season where I will be happy with 1/3. Period. It is guaranteed to happen obviously, but when it does happen...you should be unhappy about it. You should go into Yankee Stadium when the Yankees have won 15 in a row wanting to take 2/3 or better. You should go into Minnesota with both Santana and Liriano scheduled to pitch wanting to take 2/3.

You do not win championships going 1/3 and being happy about it. You win championships by winning 2/3 and being pissed off that you didn't sweep someone.

well yes from a players perspective this is how they should be thinking. but we arent playing, i am just asking from a fans perspective when considering the recent woes in oakland its hard to be overly dissappointed with winning 1 of 3 out there. happy? no, but terribly dissappointed? probably not

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)
1 out of 3 is worse case scenario. 2 out of 3 is good.

The bad history in Oakland has come far enough. If we expect to compete in this division we need to win. Not make excuses every time.

We need to create our own breaks. Every year it's always a bad call, errors, sunlight, whatever.

i dont think these next 3 games will really have an impact on whether or not we compete for a division title. in fact we could even drop these next 3 but take care of business against division rivals and win the central that way. those division games are more important than these.

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
i dont think these next 3 games will really have an impact on whether or not we compete for a division title. in fact we could even drop these next 3 but take care of business against division rivals and win the central that way. those division games are more important than these.

And tonight's a great day to gain a game, so no, these are just as important as divisional games.

Edited by witesoxfan

Why not sweep? The A's arent that good, and I think we have actually shown quite a bit...If our starters can get it together, we will be fine...our hitting and baserunning I have been happy with...The only disapointment is how many innings our starters have been pitching...

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
And tonight's a great day to gain a game, so no, these are just as important as divisional games.

my point is that even if we lose these 3 games we can still compete for the division. the easiest way to do that: win your divisional games. why do you think the sox won the division in '05? they had a ridiculous record against AL central opponents.

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
my point is that even if we lose these 3 games we can still compete for the division. the easiest way to do that: win your divisional games. why do you think the sox won the division in '05? they had a ridiculous record against AL central opponents.

And if they get swept by Minnesota, they can still win the division. I dont understand your argument

And, regardless of the record against the division, the reason they won was pitching, period. They beat teams within the division because they pitched well. 3.61 is a hell of a lot better than 4.61, and that's why they won in 05 and they didnt in 06. Period.