Ozzie to Fans

retro1983hat

Per Suntimes:

Ozzie to fans: Give Sammy some love

April 17, 2007

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

Ozzie Guillen might be reaching. Just as the White Sox manager wanted fans on the South Side to welcome back former Sox great Frank Thomas when the Oakland Athletics came to town last season, Guillen now is asking for the same warmth for Texas Rangers outfielder Sammy Sosa.

One major difference: Sosa was a one-time Sox player, longtime Cubs enemy, as far as the South Side is concerned.

''Sammy did a good thing for the city,'' Guillen said. ''I'm not going to say Sammy put the city back on the map, but he might have. Every time we wear a uniform, the Cubs or the White Sox, we represent Chicago. We don't represent the North Side, the South Side or the West Side. We represent the city.''

Unlike Jim Thome's situation in Cleveland, Sox fans have had a recent history of welcoming back their own -- even those who left for free agency such as Thomas and Robin Ventura. But Sosa was Public Enemy No. 1 as a member of the Cubs, which will be a hard sell for Guillen.

''All the stuff he did out there, corked bat? He's not the first one to use it,'' Guillen said. ''The thing they accuse him? We don't know.

''Sammy do more good stuff in baseball than bad stuff, and we have to respect that. The Cubs should be proud of him. I'm not going to say they treat him bad, but a lot of people turn their back on him when he need it. Maybe that's his own fault.''

Hey Ozzie: Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!

I think Sammy did more bad than good for baseball. I'll boo the f***. I doubt he'll be playing the field...just DHing. Luckily, I'll be 20 feet from him if he does, the only problem, Security sits 5 feet in front of me. I'd better play nice!

I doubt Guillen believes what he's saying right here.

Ask any manager about crowds potentially booing Sosa and they'll say the same crap about him "being good for the game."

Am I right to believe if he had said, "boo that steroid user" many would have jumped on him? I'd rather have the politically correct Guillen than the over-the-top, Ozzie Montana Guillen. Atleast concerning this issue at this time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
I'm one of his biggest critics, but if he came back to the Cell as an opposing manager, I definitely wouldn't boo him.

Exactly. How could you boo the only chicago manager to win a World Series in the last 90 years?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
I doubt Guillen believes what he's saying right here.

Ask any manager about crowds potentially booing Sosa and they'll say the same crap about him "being good for the game."

Am I right to believe if he had said, "boo that steroid user" many would have jumped on him? I'd rather have the politically correct Guillen than the over-the-top, Ozzie Montana Guillen. Atleast concerning this issue at this time.

Good post. You can't have your cake and eat it too.