Are we finally done.....

joeynach

With the Iguchi batting 7th or anywhere down in the order experiment. Anyone who has seen any of my recent posts know I have been lameting Ozzie for this move for quite some time, but finally there is light. Tadahito is finally looking like his old self now that hes back in the 2 spot. His avg is up to .286 and his OBP is around .390. I said it time and time again Iguchi in that free swinger drive in runs mode (which is not the player he is) causes him to fly open and try and pull the heck out of everything, even low and away stuff. With Iguchi batting in the 2 hole you can see the difference. He is trying to see pitches, trying to let the ball get deep on him, trying to see the pitch then make an adjusted swing to put the ball in play, trying to hit the ball to the right side........and look what happens. He is just so much more productive out of the 2 hole than anywhere else. Im just shocked it took Ozzie this long to realize Iguchi just wanst the same hitter down in the order. I absolutly love seeing back at the top and hope he stays there for the rest of the year, he is too valuable a hitter in that role.

I completely agree. I discussed this on the weekly podcast this week, but whatever it is the 2 hole is good for Iguchi. When he's down in the lineup he gets HR happy and his swing becomes way too long to have any sort of success at the major league level.

However, in the 2 hole he's forced to shorten up and go opposite field and as a result he's one of the better 2 hole hitters in baseball.

Exactly.

He only hits in the No. 2 hole, at least as a member of the Sox.

He is sooo bad when Oz experiments and moves him down.

He's a perfect 2 hitter. I can't believe Oz thought that would be smart

to have him bat seventh.

Of course Oz didn't think Erstad would hit .200.

Though Erstad to his credit, has had some hits lately.

IIRC didn't he bat 3 or 4 in Japan? I wouldn't blame this all on Ozzie, Iguchi seemed to want to make the switch as well. If this was by his request/suggestion, and Ozzie gave him a chance, It won't be the worst experiment that a manager ever tried.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 03:49 AM)
IIRC didn't he bat 3 or 4 in Japan? I wouldn't blame this all on Ozzie, Iguchi seemed to want to make the switch as well. If this was by his request/suggestion, and Ozzie gave him a chance, It won't be the worst experiment that a manager ever tried.

If we had an adequate replacement for Gooch in the 2 hole, I'd actually like to see the experiment last a bit longer. Unfortunately, we don't and Tad is a very good number 2 hitter and that's where he should be hitting.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 03:49 AM)

Exactly. Moving down is what Gooch wanted. He was a power hitter in Japan. Lucky for us he unselfishly learned to thrive in the two hole. There probably aren't too many players out there willing to make that transition. The job of a two hole hitter isn't very sexy and won't get ya the big pay day, but Gooch adjusted. He just wanted a shot to show what he can really do. Ozzie gave it to him.

I agree he is much better in the two hole, but I have no problem with Ozzie giving him the chance to be a more complete hitter.

He is so much better in the 2 hole, it's just a natural fit. I was shocked we actually moved him in the first place. He may have been a power hitter in Japan, but the way he plays and adjusts to pitching here makes him a natural #2 hitter.

The other thing I like is he has 10 walks and only 4 k's in 49 at bats, and is 2 for 2 in steals. Hopefully that improved discipline continues.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'm not saying you guys are wrong but...

Yes, he was a RBI man in Japan.

Yes, he wanted to be that guy here.

Last time I checked, it's only April and he has been adjusted to hitting second for what...three years now.

Gooch is an excellent hitter and he would have adjusted to batting seventh if Ozzie would have left him there. Or could have left him there.

As long as he's hitting, I don't care where they bat him, but to say he can't hit 7th is wrong.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 01:30 AM)
Knowing Ozzie, Erstad will likely remain 2nd once Pods comes back, and Iguchi will still bat 7th, lol.

This is exactly what I was thinking. When/if Pods comes back healthy...where is Erstad going to be in the lineup? I do like the right/lefty thing going on right now...it really messes up teams bullpens and who they will bring in to pitch..so hopefully Erstad moves to 7/8 area and Gooch stays in the 2 hole.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
PODS isnt coming back. he will have to have surgery again.

He'd better, cause I dont see us hitting for long with Erstad leading off. People asked to find a worse lead-off guy than Pods, ask and shall recieve. At least Pods will get an extra base hit here and there and actually get on with occasion.

I agree that Iguchi is the best no. 2 hitter we have, but like a lot of Ozzie's experiments that have proven to be less than successful (Mackowiak in center, anyone?), we may continue to see it.

I agree with the rest of yuose all here. Tad Iguchi knows how to play ball and hit in that #2 spot. He can go to the opposite field with the best of them, hit and run, etc. I don't know why there seems to be this need to screw with success?!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 05:49 AM)
If we had an adequate replacement for Gooch in the 2 hole, I'd actually like to see the experiment last a bit longer. Unfortunately, we don't and Tad is a very good number 2 hitter and that's where he should be hitting.

There we go. Even if Iguchi demanded he should never have been moved, this team had no reliable leadoff man or #2 hitter coming into the season (outside of Iguchi of course), it made no sense to move him down.