More Sox History: Who remembers the 1977 Southside Hitmen ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I had graduated high school the year before and had not yet found the route to California. So for those of you who weren't even born yet click the link and learn a bit of recent Sox history and for those of you who remember it feel free to leave your thoughts and observations on that season .

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

QUOTE(Jim Spencer @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 05:54 AM)
In the summer of 77, I was going into the 6th grade and it was the 1st summer I had ever gotten excited about the SOX. Zisk, Gamble and Soderholm really set the Scoreboard off that summer :cheers

Not to mention Jim Spencer had 2 games about a week apart with 8 rbi's in each game . :cheers The start of Nancy Faust playing "Na na na na Hey hey hey goodbye " and the many curtain calls after homeruns. The fans were electrified even more so it seems than the 2005 season.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I still have my "Southside Hitmen" T-shirt (safely mounted behind glass) hanging in my den. I got Nancy Faust's autograph that year, and I still have that as well. I remember the signs in the outfield saying "Pitch at Risk to Richie Zisk". It was a great time, (but no world series!) :D

It was the summer that all my friends and myself were getting our drivers licenses. Scary driving the expressways the same week we got our license, but we did. I probably saw more games that summer than any other year.

Singing with Nancy was incredible. It was really cool when the old guys like FlaSoxxJim and YASNY would buy us sodas ;)

Saw the 77 Sox play a 4 game series versus the Angels in La-La land. Jorge Orta, Richie Zisk, Oscar Gamble, Jim Essian and more.

Bil Veeck started that rent-a-player concept and almost pulled it off in 77 with a championship. Real poor pitching for the most part especially the bullpen lost it for us.

By far my favorite Sox team. What a summer! I kept bugging my dad to take me to more and more games. I didn't miss any on channel 44...jimmy and harry and nancy playing na-na-na-na...only to go down to the royals. Which is funny since so many Sox fans now don't remember what a dominant team the royals were for a long time in the old AL west.

Oscar was the man.