The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
And I do not want to see anyone promoted from the minors to our new hitting coach. Everyone that comes up, looks lost with long looping swings. WHile other teams prospects come up and make contact at least.

Who else are you going to get in the middle of June?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Who else are you going to get in the middle of June?

You let baines handle it, while you interview real candidates. We are not doing anything this year, so interviewing and finding a real qualified candidate that can teach a nice line drive swing, plate awareness, and now to go oppo is key. Someone that can instruct rookies would be good as well.

Just saying, oh well we have to promote the same stiff who prepared Josh Fields and Brian Anderson for the majors with long and looping swings is basically saying, we dont want to compete for a long time. No more long looping swing coaches.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
reinsdorf and kenny williams must not want to run a business because they're not very professional at all. greg walker must do special favors behind closed doors because it makes zero sense that he still has a job. i see 0 improvement from the hitters, in fact, i think they're getting worse. CAN HIS BEHIND ALREADY!!! what do we have to do? storm the cell???

More likely, it will be the no-shows and boo-birds than "storming the Cell"

This was mentioned on WSI.

Mark Patrick and Buck Martinez were critiquing the Sox-Phillies contest on the Baseball This morning on XM. Mark Patrick believes the book is out on the sox hitters, and that pitchers know to keep the ball just off the plate because our hitters wont adjust and will continue to hack away. We are a bunch of free swingers. He used the example of how the whitesox fared against Clippard, and how the Pirates had no problems with him by taking pitches and driving up his pitch count.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
reinsdorf and kenny williams must not want to run a business because they're not very professional at all. greg walker must do special favors behind closed doors because it makes zero sense that he still has a job. i see 0 improvement from the hitters, in fact, i think they're getting worse. CAN HIS BEHIND ALREADY!!! what do we have to do? storm the cell???

I was going to call in a "special favor" and ask that you get knocked upside your head....

Until I re-read the part about Jerry Reinsdorf not professional at running a business... It was then I realized you have clearly already been dropped on your noggin several times.

And yes, please do storm the cell. If we're lucky you will be in custody for the remainder of the season.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
This was mentioned on WSI.

Mark Patrick and Buck Martinez were critiquing the Sox-Phillies contest on the Baseball This morning on XM. Mark Patrick believes the book is out on the sox hitters, and that pitchers know to keep the ball just off the plate because our hitters wont adjust and will continue to hack away. We are a bunch of free swingers. He used the example of how the whitesox fared against Clippard, and how the Pirates had no problems with him by taking pitches and driving up his pitch count.

Yep, and since they keep on swinging at it, the ump starts calling it a strike later on in the game. So, they have to keep swinging at it. We need a patient approach at the very beginning of the game. Seems like it builds on itself.

More perfect storm nonsense

National League scout who has seen the White Sox several times this season said teams fed Konerko a steady diet of breaking balls in April, and it threw him out of sync. Konerko has a tendency to overanalyze the game when he's struggling, and he's taken a while to find his comfort zone.

The scout is more concerned with Dye, whose performance isn't helping his chances of making a killing on the free-agent market.

Dye, 33, has always been more of a gliding, single-speed kind of player than the explosive type. When he's productive he makes the game look relatively effortless, and when he struggles it can appear as if he's coasting. The challenge now is figuring out whether his skills are slipping or he's simply in a funk.

"I saw a lack of first-step quickness on defense and he was pushing a lot of balls to right-center field," the scout said. "That makes you wonder if his bat is slowing down."

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
I was going to call in a "special favor" and ask that you get knocked upside your head....

Until I re-read the part about Jerry Reinsdorf not professional at running a business... It was then I realized you have clearly already been dropped on your noggin several times.

And yes, please do storm the cell. If we're lucky you will be in custody for the remainder of the season.

Somewhere Jay Mariotti is twitching with excitement over having the rest of his years columns written for him...

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
More perfect storm nonsense

Dye, 33, has always been more of a gliding, single-speed kind of player than the explosive type. When he's productive he makes the game look relatively effortless, and when he struggles it can appear as if he's coasting. The challenge now is figuring out whether his skills are slipping or he's simply in a funk.

"I saw a lack of first-step quickness on defense and he was pushing a lot of balls to right-center field," the scout said. "That makes you wonder if his bat is slowing down."

Well now you all have it in print. We aren't getting s*** for JD until he starts to hit.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 06:25 AM)
You are completely right, I totally missed where you provided proof about Walker's statements in my original question. Could you please post a link to that?

So I take it that you have no answer for when Mr. Walker should be held accountable? And you're not denying that he is, at best, totally ineffective right now?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
So I take it that you have no answer for when Mr. Walker should be held accountable? And you're not denying that he is, at best, totally ineffective right now?

You seriously are cracking me up.

I know it is much easier to just keep asking questions than to actually answer any, but this is kind of fun. I'll just say a bunch of stuff and end it in a question, so as to avoid any real substance in my post, you know what I mean?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
is it really worth bickering? Walker should go, even if its not his fault, thats what teams do to change the environment, so the players hear a different voice.

Maybe they should change the paint color in the clubhouse first. I hear yellow is soothing...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 01:21 PM)
Maybe they should change the paint color in the clubhouse first. I hear yellow is soothing...

oooh...with a nice border of Teddy Bears playing baseball.

Then our players can learn to hit from the Teddy Bears. Because anything is better than Walker...right?

That should solve everything!

If Jerry or Kenny knew anything about running a professional baseball team they'd be at Home Depot right now and buy a Teddy Bear border for the clubhouse!!

:P

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
Yep, and since they keep on swinging at it, the ump starts calling it a strike later on in the game. So, they have to keep swinging at it. We need a patient approach at the very beginning of the game. Seems like it builds on itself.

I have been saying this for over a year now. The White Sox do not work the count and swing at really good pitches instead of letting them go. They try to cover the entire strike and have no strike zone recognition on top of that. A pitcher never has to worry about falling behind in the count becasue the White Sox will swing at a good pitchers pitch on 2-0 or 3-1 and not make the pitcher come to them. Boston, New York and Oakland are great at this.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
The more I read stuff like this the more I think: how is it that posters here can figure this out but Greg Walker can't?

I would bet that a lot of this is much easier said than done. You call tell Uribe to hold off on the Slider low and away, but sometimes there is something about that pitch that makes his eyes big and he will still swing at it.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
I would bet that a lot of this is much easier said than done. You call tell Uribe to hold off on the Slider low and away, but sometimes there is something about that pitch that makes his eyes big and he will still swing at it.

Can you find a better example? Uribe has always swung like he's climbed a tree and just stepped on a beehive...

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
Can you find a better example? Uribe has always swung like he's climbed a tree and just stepped on a beehive...

You know, I really can't think of one. It is always up to the players to follow the advice of the hitting coach. That is just an example of someone not doing it (I would bet). I sought to show 1) an example of giving advice, and 2) that the advice was not being taken. I think that I did that. Just because it is something that everyone can see, does not discredit it as an example.

The point is that there are two possible points of failure. 1) the hitting coach and 2) the players. We don't know what is happening unless we are privy to the advice that is being given.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you have a better chance of, hopefully, getting swept away in a tornado. clearly, you are receiving Greg Walker's personal favors as well. only a fool would defend him (you). :fight

Edited by DonnyDevito

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
you have a better chance of, hopefully, getting swept away in a tornado. clearly, you are receiving Greg Walker's personal favors as well. only a fool would defend him (you). :fight

I didn't say a word about Greg in my reply. Not that you needed to, but good of you to again clear up who the fool in this thread is.

Great its going to get a chance to f*** up our young hitters for a while. WTF

''That would send the wrong message right now,'' Guillen insisted Wednesday. ''The only way I'm going to fire my coaches is they don't do what they're supposed to. I'll say this: All the coaches we have here, they have more passion than the players. What does that tell you?

'You have to see Greg Walker's face during the game. He's so disappointed watching this every day. He takes it home. Cooper, too. That's how passionate we are.''

The hitting coach with the Georgia drawl who helped engineer one of the top offenses in baseball the last three years?

In 04 we had a decent offense considering everything.

In 05 their offense sucked.

In 06 in the first half their offense was awesome, in the 2nd half it was medicore

In 07 they are historically bad.

Edited by southsideirish71