Cintron back on bereavement list

Mr. Showtime

CHICAGO -- Prior to tonight's game vs. Kansas City, the Chicago White Sox placed infielder Alex Cintron on the Major League Bereavement List and recalled infielder Andy Gonzalez from Class AAA Charlotte.

Cintron, 28, was batting .128 (5-39) with one RBI in 14 games this season with the White Sox. In accordance with Major League Baseball rules, Cintron must remain on the bereavement list a minimum of three days.

Gonzalez, 25, hit .259 (22-85) with five doubles, two home runs and 13 RBI in 25 games with the Knights. The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder appeared in one game with the White Sox this season.

Cintron was also on the bereavement list from April 22-26.

LINK

QUOTE(fathom @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
Best wishes to Cintron. Gonzalez should start at 2nd base, and Iguchi should start looking for real estate back in Japan.

That's one of the stupidest things I've heard all year. I'm surprised at you. Andy Gonzalez over Iguchi? Please. Tadahito has been garbage but let's not go nuts.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 12, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
That's one of the stupidest things I've heard all year. I'm surprised at you. Andy Gonzalez over Iguchi? Please. Tadahito has been garbage but let's not go nuts.

I do think Iguchi could use Sunday off (and Monday) and he should work strictly on hitting line drives to the opposite field (he had a good AB late in the game, no results), like some of the other White Sox hitters have been working on.

It wouldn't be so bad if his defense wasn't also slipping a bit. That's the frustrating thing. It would have been nice if we could have swept both DET and the Twins in those series.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 12, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
Best wishes to Cintron. Gonzalez should start at 2nd base, and Iguchi should start looking for real estate back in Japan.

Hey fathom... Andy Gonzalez pretty much sucks, and would probably be worse then Iguchi.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 12, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)

I have to agree with fathom. Iguchi is worst defensive 2B in the major leagues from what I've seen this year. If he can't hit, and it doesn't look like he can, Gonzalez should start over him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 13, 2007 -> 02:35 AM)

I didn't mean for the season....just for this game on Sunday vs a lefty.

OK, this is probably an attempt at a thread hijack, but what do people think of Iguchi's defense this year? Is it better than I think and just skewed by a poor sample size? Or are the numbers right and the Sox have the most immobile right side of infield in baseball? I'd really like it to be the former, since I like Iguchi. But it has been an inauspicious start of the year for him (not that he's alone in that).

I didn't mean for the season....just for this game on Sunday vs a lefty.

That's much better, less stupid. And I agree.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:51 PM)
Actually he's been playin pretty well in AAA.

So's Brian Anderson. Always does in AAA.

Andy Gonzalez =/ MLB second baseman

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 13, 2007 -> 04:17 AM)
I think Cintron's struggles and this bereavement list stuff are not a coincidence, his mind is elsewhere. Take care of your mind Alex and get back here as focused as possible.

I think the offseason surgery has had a huge impact on his strength.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 13, 2007 -> 04:07 AM)
Never said that he did, but he's far from sucking in AAA, and not every sinigle person we call up will flame out.

Gonzalez should be a useful ballplayer for the Sox. He's one of very few guys down there who can actually take a walk, and he can play SS and 2B. Jason, Dan, Heads -- how's his defense? It's decent, IIRC, yes? He should take Cintron's spot next year -- the Sox don't need their bench players making $2 million bucks.

And about Iguchi's defense, I never thought his range was great, but it's deteriorated. Even more worrisome is that it looks like his arm strength has deteriorated. On a lot of his double plays this year where he's turning it, he's thrown a lot of loopy throws. He's still pretty good on anything hit right at him, but that's the only positive I can really say about him defensively.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 13, 2007 -> 12:11 AM)
If gooch doesn't start picking things up... Ozuna should start full-time at 2B.

It's sad to see Gooch do so bad though, as no one can not like him... he is like a teddy bear.

It would be a defensive disaster, but they also might consider Mack, because Sweeney's cutting into LF at-bats and we need to generate some additional offense from the infield with Crede, Iguchi and Konerko all struggling.

Of course, Mack also looks like crap....so who knows?

I would love to get Erick Aybar and have him at 2B, and he would also serve as insurance for Uribe at SS, his natural position. It just depends on whether the Angels really see Brandon Wood at 3B or not, or are simply trying to find him playing time with Cabrera locked in at SS...

Edited by caulfield12

agreed i really have a hard time seeing what the angels are going to do with the following.

Figgins

Willits

Aybar

Figgins is doing horrid at the plate and seems to be on the decline since last year.

Willits is awesome, but they already have a leadoff hitter in Matthews and Anderson and Rivera who will be back in the near future.

Aybar is a light hitting, good fielding MI that can draw a walk. but is just a place holder until Kendrick gets back.

Finally wood is going to need this season and some of next to fix some of the holes in his swing and game.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
I think Cintron's struggles and this bereavement list stuff are not a coincidence, his mind is elsewhere. Take care of your mind Alex and get back here as focused as possible.

Good point. I think sometimes people forget these guys are human, and like the rest of us, they take their personal problems to work with them. Having a parent/grandparent dying is one of the most stressful things there is.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
Good point. I think sometimes people forget these guys are human, and like the rest of us, they take their personal problems to work with them. Having a parent/grandparent dying is one of the most stressful things there is.

Yeah he's the one hitter I've tried to lay off as much as possible. He's never been a great fielder, but he's a solid off the bench bat and clutch hitter. The fact he's hit so poorly and had this going on at the same time isn't an accident.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 13, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
Toby Hall says he hates you.

You know what I meant. I was talking about genuine AAA guys, not rehab assignment guys.

But that said, I think Toby will come up and do terrible. He's got a partially torn labrum.