More proof that Ozzie is an idiot

fathom

Within this article, Ozzie states that Uribe can't be a #2 hitter because he strikes out too much.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Well, anyone want to guess who had 114 and 110 strike outs the last two years, and which player had 77 and 82.

There's also another article stating how Terrero pinch running on Saturday night was proof he had to be on the team. Not like Ozzie didn't have any other options on the bench (cough Ozuna cough).

well he said he strikes out a lot, never did he make a player comparison. I would like to hear your reasoning with the data from the last 2 years on why Uribe would be a better 2 hole hitter than Iguchi has been. If that wasnt your point, then you might want to find another avenue to express your displeasure in the team taking 3 straight series.

Here is the quote for those who didnt read it. Doesnt seem like a comment that would make me think he is an idiot, in fact he shares the opinion of most fans on this site regarding uribe's approach at the plate for a majority of the time. Since he agrees with us, wouldnt that make US the idiots?

But Guillen doesn't expect Uribe to stay in the No. 2 hole.

"I don't think he's a second hitter," Guillen said. "[saturday] he impressed me more because he took pitches and was patient. I don't know how long that patience will last. This kid strikes out a lot."

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
well he said he strikes out a lot, never did he make a player comparison. I would like to hear your reasoning with the data from the last 2 years on why Uribe would be a better 2 hole hitter than Iguchi has been. If that wasnt your point, then you might want to find another avenue to express your displeasure in the team taking 3 straight series.

Here is the quote for those who didnt read it. Doesnt seem like a comment that would make me think he is an idiot, in fact he shares the opinion of most fans on this site regarding uribe's approach at the plate for a majority of the time. Since he agrees with us, wouldnt that make US the idiots?

But Guillen doesn't expect Uribe to stay in the No. 2 hole.

"I don't think he's a second hitter," Guillen said. "[saturday] he impressed me more because he took pitches and was patient. I don't know how long that patience will last. This kid strikes out a lot."

The only reason to keep Uribe at number 2 is to maximize the amount of fastballs he will see. Which will be a ton when Thome comes back.

I would like to see Iguchi go back to the 2 hole. His new free swinging mode doesnt jive to well. He needs to go back and try to shorten his swing up and hit to right. Plus he will see more fastballs.

In the future, Ryan would make a good 2 hole hitter. Especially with his bat control and eye.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
But Uribe needs to take pitches to give the leadoff hitter a chance to steal second. His Tazmanian Devil swing is not conducive to the 2 hole.

So you agree with Ozzie?

I guess you are an idiot too.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
But Uribe needs to take pitches to give the leadoff hitter a chance to steal second. His Tazmanian Devil swing is not conducive to the 2 hole.

Right, because Erstad is such a speed merchant. Maximizing Erstad's chances to steal 15 bases this season isn't a good way to pick a #2 hitter. If someone has a decent OBP, they should hit #2. Uribe was last(?) in OBP in the majors last season, so I can see not hitting him there. But his bat has shown as much life as anyone lately, so why not hit him #2 for a while. I agree with the poster who said when thome returns the Uribe would see a lot of fastballs. Anything is worth a shot at this point.

Anybody who believes part of the job for a #2 hitter is to take pitches, quite a few of which are good to hit, in order to allow the low percentage play of a stolen base attempt to occur and fall behind in the count simply has a flawed logic about the game of baseball. And that includes Ozzie.

And to say Uribe strikes out too much to hit #2 when Iguchi has been your #2 hitter (and a good one at that in 2005 and 2006) is simply ignorant. Not as ignorant as his comment on Terrero, who should not have even been the pinch runner there (Ozuna), but pretty ignorant. Sadly, also not surprising.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
Within this article, Ozzie states that Uribe can't be a #2 hitter because he strikes out too much.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Well, anyone want to guess who had 114 and 110 strike outs the last two years, and which player had 77 and 82.

There's also another article stating how Terrero pinch running on Saturday night was proof he had to be on the team. Not like Ozzie didn't have any other options on the bench (cough Ozuna cough).

Iguchi has 1,050 at-bats out of the 2 hole in his career...in other spots this year:

#5 0 for 4=0

#6 3 for 12=.250

#7 3 for 15=.200

#8 3 for 20=.150

That's 9 for 51 (.176) outside the 2 spot and .255 in that position in the order.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
Anybody who believes part of the job for a #2 hitter is to take pitches, quite a few of which are good to hit, in order to allow the low percentage play of a stolen base attempt to occur and fall behind in the count simply has a flawed logic about the game of baseball. And that includes Ozzie.

And to say Uribe strikes out too much to hit #2 when Iguchi has been your #2 hitter (and a good one at that in 2005 and 2006) is simply ignorant. Not as ignorant as his comment on Terrero, who should not have even been the pinch runner there (Ozuna), but pretty ignorant. Sadly, also not surprising.

However, Ozuna had made a huge baserunning blunder, taking himself out of a guaranteed run on the throw from Teahen in Konerko's pop-up to RF. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 14, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
Iguchi has 1,050 at-bats out of the 2 hole in his career...in other spots this year:

#5 0 for 4=0

#6 3 for 12=.250

#7 3 for 15=.200

#8 3 for 20=.150

That's 9 for 51 (.176) outside the 2 spot and .255 in that position in the order.

However, Ozuna had made a huge baserunning blunder, taking himself out of a guaranteed run on the throw from Teahen in Konerko's pop-up to RF. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

That was the smallest point in my post, but Ozuna is much faster, and people seem to be forgetting that Terrero had a horrible read and late break on Dye's single, making it much closer than it should have been at the plate (I know it wasn't that close, but if that throw doesn't die when it hits the turf, it would have been).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)

Yep, that's all I'm saying. If Ozzie doesn't want to make Uribe the #2 hitter for good, that's fine....just don't use the bulls*** reasoning that he strikes out too much.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
Yep, that's all I'm saying. If Ozzie doesn't want to make Uribe the #2 hitter for good, that's fine....just don't use the bulls*** reasoning that he strikes out too much.

You're right about the strikeout comment, but all he had to say is Uribe doesn't walk enough, which would be more appropriate for the patience comment. Striking out doesn't necessarily equate to patience, but walks do.

Walks - 07 - 06 - 05

Iguchi - 14 - 59 - 47

Uribe - 9 - 13 - 34

For Uribe, 13 walks in 463 ABs is ridiculously low.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 14, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
Why did he put him in the #2 hole if he doesn't think that's the right place for him?

Because right now he is hitting better than most of the team, and Ozzie is maximizing that. Ozzie is banking on the rest of the team coming around and sliding Uribe and Iguchi back to their normal spots, but Iguchi is so deep in this funk that Ozzie is forced to drop him in the order.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 14, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Because right now he is hitting better than most of the team, and Ozzie is maximizing that. Ozzie is banking on the rest of the team coming around and sliding Uribe and Iguchi back to their normal spots, but Iguchi is so deep in this funk that Ozzie is forced to drop him in the order.

With their misfiring offense, the Sox' 18-16 record is admirable, considering:

• • The Sox have only one hit in their last 17 at-bats with runners in scoring position (.059).

• • The team batting average fell to .220 after Sunday's game, but an even lower .196 (92-for-468) at home. The Sox rank last in the league in hitting, runs scored and on-base percentage.

• • Paul Konerko's average is down to .194 while Dye (.203), Iguchi (.210) and Crede (.205) are just above .200. Uribe's .255 is the best among the regulars.

''It's been a while since we've played like this,'' Guillen said after the team's worst defeat since the opening day 12-5 loss. ''I'm trying to handle this differently -- trying different lineups and trying to be nice and positive. But it gets to the point that I ask myself, 'How long are we going to wait?'

''Our pitching staff is good and they're pitching well. But it's not easy when in the back of your mind you're thinking you've got to throw a shutout every day to win games. You have to put yourself on earth and say how much longer can we do that? We're in a tough division.

''We're missing [scott] Podsednik and [Jim] Thome of course, but as a manager you second-guess yourself. But everyone is hitting the same. I want to see better at-bats.''

www.suntimes.com

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 14, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
• • Paul Konerko's average is down to .194 while Dye (.203), Iguchi (.210) and Crede (.205) are just above .200. Uribe's .255 is the best among the regulars.

The Sox could possibly make some moves and acquire Delgado (batting .209), Baldelli (.206), Howard (.204), Rolen (.204), Cameron (.200), Kendall (.187), or Sexson (.183), so we could have all our regulars batting under .210.

Another gem from today's Daily Herald...

“Our goal is to have Erstad healthy all year long and to make sure we protect him,” Guillen said. “The way he plays, he needs those type of days off. He plays too hard.”

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=312503

He plays too hard? You already threw Uribe under the bus in the media, why not just say Erstad is injury prone and you need to protect him while you are at it?

Edited by SoxFanForever

Wow, I thought that name-calling is not allowed on this site. Some people just want to take every little comment that is made and see if they can blow it up, point to it, and shout "SEE! - I TOLD YOU!"

It's almost like you all are scanning everything that is said to try and back up these type of claims. From what I have experienced, if you have to keep doing something like that and have to search out every little thing, you are probably wrong. I'm not saying that Ozzie does not mess up from time to time, but to go through every little thing that a non-native English speaker says is ridiculous.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ May 14, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
It's almost like you all are scanning everything that is said to try and back up these type of claims. From what I have experienced, if you have to keep doing something like that and have to search out every little thing, you are probably wrong. I'm not saying that Ozzie does not mess up from time to time, but to go through every little thing that a non-native English speaker says is ridiculous.

How does this have anything to do with any language barrier? He flat out said that Uribe doesn't make for a good #2 hitter because he strikes out too much. I don't see how that can be misinterpreted in any language. I can honestly say that I didn't read that article in order to find something to criticize Ozzie about. He's not even at the top of my Sox s*** list right now. I was just shocked at what I was reading.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 14, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
How does this have anything to do with any language barrier? He flat out said that Uribe doesn't make for a good #2 hitter because he strikes out too much. I don't see how that can be misinterpreted in any language. I can honestly say that I didn't read that article in order to find something to criticize Ozzie about. He's not even at the top of my Sox s*** list right now. I was just shocked at what I was reading.

He was trying to say uribe is too much of a free swinger to bat #2, a concept that most everyone on this site will agree with. Of course its also a way for people to get in low blows on our manager as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 14, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
He was trying to say uribe is too much of a free swinger to bat #2, a concept that most everyone on this site will agree with.

I guess people interpret things the way they want. All I can go by is that he said he strikes out too much. And if you think my complaining here is bad, wait until the firestorm hits when Sweeney is sent down. People are going to go nuts.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 14, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)

Actually he flat out said

notice the punctuation mark that looks like a square because I made it as huge as possible.

Edited by jenksd

Slightly different wording in the Sun-Times:

''Saturday was a good day for him,'' Guillen said. ''I don't think he's a typical second hitter, but he's done a good job when we've put him there. What impressed me a little more was he was taking pitches and he was patient at the plate. I get excited about that, but how long will that patience last? This kid has struck out a lot. But if he keeps doing what he's doing, I don't mind leaving him there.''

Over 2005-2006, Uribe's struck out once every 6 abs. In May, he's striking out once every 8 abs. I don't think Ozzie's saying that strikeouts are always and everywhere a 2-spot disqualifier, rather that when Uribe is being his usual impatient self, you see a bunch of strikeouts, and the lack of those now are a sign of his current approach at the plate...who knows how long it will last.

And I'm usually up for some good Ozzie criticism, but imho this is an overreaction. If anything, I'm relieved to know that the Sox aren't going to try to revive the Uribe hitting 2nd experiment.