Pedro Lopez acquired by the Reds

RME JICO

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/press_...sp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired IF Pedro Lopez off waivers from the Chicago White Sox and optioned him to Class AAA Louisville.

Lopez, 23, takes the 40-man roster spot of IF Jerry Gil, who was transferred to the 60-day disabled list.

In 41 games this season with Class AAA Charlotte, Lopez batted .242 with 2 HR, 11 RBI and 7 doubles. He split last season between Charlotte and Class AA Birmingham and established career highs with 27 doubles, 10 HR and 58 RBI while batting a combined .300 with 62 runs scored in 124 games.

Lopez had spent his entire professional career in the White Sox organization. He was signed by Chicago as a free agent on September 14, 2000. In 2005 he made his Major League debut and appeared in 2 games. Following that season, Lopez played for Peoria in the prestigious Arizona Fall League.

So who fills his spot on the 40-man roster?

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
I wonder why Kenny was trying to slip Lopez through waivers? So which pitcher who is not on the 40 man roster, is Kenny bringing up?
Is he clearing the way for someone within the organization, or someone outside?

Remaining 40 man roster:

Day, Floyd, Haeger, Perez, Phillips, Reynoso, Vasquez, Molina, Fields, Gonzalez, Anderson, Owens, Sweeney, Podsednik

Edited by RME JICO

I think Carl Everett or another bat is on the way. That or they are going to call up Brett Printz to replace someone in the bullpen.

I should point out that Printz was pretty highly thought of a few years back and from what I've heard he's been flashing some good stuff down in Charlotte.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2007 -> 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder why Kenny was trying to slip Lopez through waivers? So which pitcher who is not on the 40 man roster, is Kenny bringing up?

Good question, papers this morning talked about Bret Prinz who has some ML experience although most of it isn't good. I am pretty sure Guillen and Williams are about out of patience with Sisco, just a hunch.

Ha Chisoxfn we are thinking alike!

Chisoxfn: don't you think Everett burned a bridge with Williams? Also I heard he has gotten big big big, as in not slender. But the Sox never clear a 40 man spot w/out another move in mind. I would love to see a bat brought in. They need a speed RH hitting guy who can cover the OF, Terrero is a warm body but thats it.

Edited by 29thandPoplar

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ May 21, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
Good question, papers this morning talked about Bret Prinz who has some ML experience although most of it isn't good. I am pretty sure Guillen and Williams are about out of patience with Sisco, just a hunch.

Plus I think they want to stretch Sisco out in order to get him more comfortable with his new arm release as well as further develop some additional pitches (that and your right, they are frustrated with his lack of command).

Yeah and when Williams says hey, we want to see who can perform in pressure games and then Sisco does bad, that says something. I think they were hoping a light bulb would go on for Sisco in 2007 but it hasn't happened, same old same old, but he has talent. But he belongs in Charlotte right now.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 21, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
I wouldn't read too much into this...I think KW likes the flexibility of having that extra spot open...just in case.

They dont burn roster spots by putting people on waivers to open up flexibility. If they didnt give a crap about Lopez, they could of put him on waivers anyday of the week.

Sisco has to be the prime candidate to hit the bricks. He hasn't really done anything the Sox have asked of him. I would much rather see him sent back to Charlotte and work on his mechanics and secondary pitches versus just being used sporatically here anyway. I think in the long run, it will be for the best.

I think this makes sense.

Craig Wilson has caught at the major league level. Should the Sox want Hall and AJ to play together in a game, Wilson is an ideal third catcher/emergency guy for them if needed to finish a game. This allows Hall to be a bat off the bench as well. KW did say that Hall would take AB's from Thome as well. If so there is no catcher on the bench.

I AM NOT SAYING WILSON IS A GOOD CATCHER BUT IN A EMERGENCY.

I dont understand why do we need to clear a spot on the 40 man roster to bring somebody up. Isn't it possible the person we bring up is already on the 40 man roster so say we send Sisco down and bring somebody up off the 40 man why does the 40 man need to change. The 40 man would only need to change if they want to bring in a guy who is currently not on it right? Which would be strange at this point.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 21, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
The 40 man would only need to change if they want to bring in a guy who is currently not on it right? Which would be strange at this point.

Hardly. The waiver wire is just as active this time of year than any other time later in the summer.

Most likely, a move like this suggests, a) a player within the organization but not on the 40-man roster is being brought up to the major league level b ) a player(s) from outside the organization will be acquired for players that are either on the 40-man or players that when moved do not equate to a simple "40-man player for 40-man player swap" or c) a player will be brought in on waivers or signed as a free agent.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 21, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
I think Carl Everett or another bat is on the way. That or they are going to call up Brett Printz to replace someone in the bullpen.

I should point out that Printz was pretty highly thought of a few years back and from what I've heard he's been flashing some good stuff down in Charlotte.

I think Printz is the guy. Everett can really only DH now and with Thome back he really would be a waste of a roster spot. At this stage, he probably would be one with Thome out. Chances are Printz won't be any better than what they currently have, but its worth a shot. The bullpen needs a good shaking and/or waking up.

Someone mentioned Craig Wilson earlier in this thread, that's where I'm leaning, besides Printz.

Yes he didn't have a good start for Atlanta, hence why they released, but he can play 1B/OF and be an emergency catcher if needed, and he can pretty well against lefties which has always been a weakness for this team.

It could also make someone like Mackowiak expendable for the right offer e.g a lefty reliever, which is quite ironic since Mackowiak was originally traded for Marte.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 21, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
Everett is playing for some independent team, and supposedly the Sox have been looking at him. I heard he's as large as ever right now.

It's always the Long Island Ducks. If you're in your mid to late 30's and clinging to your pro career like say Edgardo Alfonso or Carl Everett or a 28 year old who really only does one thing well like Damian Rolles and his speed or Jorge Piedra and his steroids or perhaps you just suck ass like Danny Graves and John Halama then Long Island is the place for you.

Everett by the way is 8 for 40 (.200 BA) w/ 0 HR, 5 RBI, 7 R and 9K/6BB. In 40 ABs Carl has 0 extra base hits.

Junior Spivey also caught on in the Atlantic League and is hitting .391. Good for him. Unsurprisingly Mike Porzio and Kevin Walker are kicking the s*** out of Atlantic League hitters. Of course.