Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 04:47 AM)
Yeah, it's ridiculously hard on Heisman. I was playing #1 Texas A&M at A&M and had them down 41-17 and eventually barely hung on to win 41-34 stopping them on 4th down with 3 seconds to go.

My only issue is that I can score too easy with the option. If I'm Arkansas and don't run for 250+, that's a dissappointing game.

The good thing is that I can't stop the computer, either. I played Florida today and they put up 60+ points. They run that spread offense so well -- Tebow looks like he's running and he hits a WR on a crossing route over the middle, and that WR proceeds to take it to the house.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
I don't even think it's the best game in the series. That list of top 10 rated games is b.s. to begin with. I mean, The Orange Box is in there.

Why wouldn't it be? At least the PC version. 360 version probably shouldn't be close to up there. Every other game there, Metroid Prime, SM64, OoT(Widely regarded as the best game in the series[And best game of all-time for that matter], although like you not my favorite), HL2, Soul Calibor, and RE4 are pretty much "the games" when you start a discussion on the best game of all-time. I think we're going to see that with Galaxy too. It's incredible.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
Why wouldn't it be? At least the PC version. 360 version probably shouldn't be close to up there. Every other game there, Metroid Prime, SM64, OoT(Widely regarded as the best game in the series[And best game of all-time for that matter], although like you not my favorite), HL2, Soul Calibor, and RE4 are pretty much "the games" when you start a discussion on the best game of all-time. I think we're going to see that with Galaxy too. It's incredible.

Then put Half-Life 2 in there, not The Orange Box, a s***ty-remake with some tag-on games like Team Fortress. Besides, Half-Life 2 wasn't even that good aside from the physics engine they put in.

And how does a fighting game get mixed in with the best of all time? Fighting games suck in that they're extremely limited for the player. Whatever story somebody puts in a fighting game is bogged down in that, in-between fighting, there is nothing else to do. And the replay value? Okay, I'll kill the guys again on an unlocked difficulty level?

The Zelda series is great, yes, but overrated. As far as RPG's go, none of the Zelda games even probably sniff the top 5 RPG's of all time. The Final Fantasy series alone probably has 3 games better than any Zelda.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 01:49 AM)
Then put Half-Life 2 in there, not The Orange Box, a s***ty-remake with some tag-on games like Team Fortress. Besides, Half-Life 2 wasn't even that good aside from the physics engine they put in.

Half Life 2 is already on there at #10. Although I agree that HL2 is slightly overrated (and HL1 extremely overrated), the Orange Box is awesome.

It isn't a remake. It's HL2, plus two-thirds of what is basically 'HL3', plus one of the most original games of the year (Portal), plus one of the best multiplayer games of the year. If you want to disqualify it for being a compilation instead of a single game, that's fine. But taken as a whole, it's pretty deserving.

...Certainly more so than Metroid Prime or Tekken 3. How are they on there?

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 03:01 AM)

Ever play MP? Why wouldn't it be on there? MP is the most critically acclaimed game of all-time, no doubt(Well, technically, that would be OoT according to the site, but MP had 3 times the amount of reviews). I have no doubt there is not a game out there with more of a unamimous love then there is for MP. What the developers pulled off there was, well, amazing.

As for Zelda, it's not a RPG. And it's still the most heralded gaming series out there, even more so than Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid. What would you put above OoT in terms of greatest games ever? I can only think of a few acceptable answers, and a lot of those are from pre-review days.

The fighting genre is one regarded as the best genre out there by the gaming media(Or at least it was throughout the 90s and early 2000s). Never played or heard much from Tekken 3, but SC is a game I have always seen in r discussions about the best games ever. No surprise it's on there.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 08:01 PM)
Half Life 2 is already on there at #10. Although I agree that HL2 is slightly overrated (and HL1 extremely overrated), the Orange Box is awesome.

It isn't a remake. It's HL2, plus two-thirds of what is basically 'HL3', plus one of the most original games of the year (Portal), plus one of the best multiplayer games of the year. If you want to disqualify it for being a compilation instead of a single game, that's fine. But taken as a whole, it's pretty deserving.

Portal took about 5 hours and wasn't anything too impressive. Team Fortress, compared to all the other multiplayer online shooters out there, is a joke--not to mention they used the same maps they had in the original Team Fortress. By remake, I meant they remade it from the PC for console gaming.

Metroid Prime is far superior than any of the games on The Orange Box. Even the original Nintendo version. Free roaming gameplay > Linear gameplay... just about always.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
Ever play MP? Why wouldn't it be on there? MP is the most critically acclaimed game of all-time, no doubt(Well, technically, that would be OoT according to the site, but MP had 3 times the amount of reviews). I have no doubt there is not a game out there with more of a unamimous love then there is for MP. What the developers pulled off there was, well, amazing.

As for Zelda, it's not a RPG. And it's still the most heralded gaming series out there, even more so than Metroid, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear Solid. What would you put above OoT in terms of greatest games ever? I can only think of a few acceptable answers, and a lot of those are from pre-review days.

The fighting genre is one regarded as the best genre out there by the gaming media(Or at least it was throughout the 90s and early 2000s). Never played or heard much from Tekken 3, but SC is a game I have always seen in r discussions about the best games ever. No surprise it's on there.

Zelda has many of the underlining tones of an RPG, most of which make up the game. About the only difference is the fighting system. And there is no way any of the Zelda's are better than say, Final Fantasy III or VII. I disagree that Zelda is at the helm of game reviewers out there. Just read reviews of all the Final Fantasy's that come out and note that, generally, in the reviews, they say something along the lines of, "Games just don't come out with a higher pedigree than the Final Fantasy series." And then they ultimately say how good it is based on the previous games--as there aren't any other games to compare it with, even very similar RPG's. The Final Fantasy series, now having 12 games and coming on 13 (which consists of 2 games for the 13th installment) has pretty much set the standard for the RPG genre...every single time they release a game.

According to Famitsu, a Japanese gaming magazine, these are the top 10 games of all time as voted on by its readers:

1. Final Fantasy X (2001)
  2. Final Fantasy VII (1997)
  3. Dragon Quest III (1988)
  4. Dragon Quest VIII (2004)
  5. Machi (1998)
  6. Final Fantasy IV (1991)
  7. Tactics Ogre (1995)
  8. Final Fantasy III (1990)
  9. Dragon Quest VII (2000)
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

From the Zelda series alone, I'd put two ahead of OoT. Windwaker and A Link to the Past. There are several other RPG's that I'd put ahead of any Zelda game as well, the most recent being Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 02:07 AM)
Ever play MP? Why wouldn't it be on there?

It wouldn't be on there because it blows. Horrendous controls, boring weapons, plenty of jumping (always a treat in first-person games), and massive amounts of tracking/backtracking through ugly, uninspired levels.

The only reason anyone liked Metroid Prime was its name.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 02:41 AM)
Portal took about 5 hours and wasn't anything too impressive. Team Fortress, compared to all the other multiplayer online shooters out there, is a joke--not to mention they used the same maps they had in the original Team Fortress. By remake, I meant they remade it from the PC for console gaming.

Metroid Prime is far superior than any of the games on The Orange Box. Even the original Nintendo version. Free roaming gameplay > Linear gameplay... just about always.

Portal was short, but sweet. What current team-based shooters would you consider so much better than TF2 right now? Battlefield? Quake Wars?

I don't disagree that it is awkward having a game and a nearly identical port of a game sitting on the same top 10 list.

Metroid Prime is worse than ANY of the 5 elements of the Orange Box. Various areas are blocked based on your progress in the game. Just because it requires a lot of backtracking doesn't make it some non-linear dynamic game full of choices for the player.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 03:49 AM)
It wouldn't be on there because it blows. Horrendous controls, boring weapons, plenty of jumping (always a treat in first-person games), and massive amounts of tracking/backtracking through ugly, uninspired levels.

The only reason anyone liked Metroid Prime was its name.

It's more a puzzle game than a FPS. Graphics are overrated.

I guess you don't enjoy a good, long puzzle?

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 03:57 AM)
Portal was short, but sweet. What current team-based shooters would you consider so much better than TF2 right now? Battlefield? Quake Wars?

I don't disagree that it is awkward having a game and a nearly identical port of a game sitting on the same top 10 list.

Metroid Prime is worse than ANY of the 5 elements of the Orange Box. Various areas are blocked based on your progress in the game. Just because it requires a lot of backtracking doesn't make it some non-linear dynamic game full of choices for the player.

1. Halo 1,2,3. Counterstrike. Call of Duty 4 (and even probably 3). Resistance Fall of Man. Rainbow Six: Vegas. Every Socom game ever made. I could continue. TF2 is absolute crap compared to the very best of online shooters. Plus, you can go off in most of these games and do your own thing--just go around shooting people in things like "Free-For-All." TF2 is an extremely limited and tired game.

2. Metroid Prime is free roaming in that, yes, while certain parts of the map are blocked off until you solve a puzzle, every part of the map that you've unlocked is free game up until you've beaten it all.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
It's more a puzzle game than a FPS. Graphics are overrated.

I guess you don't enjoy a good, long puzzle?

It's more of a fetch-quest game than a puzzle game. Portal is a puzzle game.

Are there any puzzles in Metroid Prime that you found particularly clever?

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
1. Halo 1,2,3. Counterstrike. Call of Duty 4 (and even probably 3). Resistance Fall of Man. Rainbow Six: Vegas. Every Socom game ever made. I could continue. TF2 is absolute crap compared to the very best of online shooters. Plus, you can go off in most of these games and do your own thing--just go around shooting people in things like "Free-For-All." TF2 is an extremely limited and tired game.

2. Metroid Prime is free roaming in that, yes, while certain parts of the map are blocked off until you solve a puzzle, every part of the map that you've unlocked is free game up until you've beaten it all.

1. l disagree with almost every element of your list (haven't played them all). I also notice your list tends greatly toward console shooters. No mention of Battlefield, UT, Quake, etc. Did you play TF2 on 360 or PC?

And what exactly do you not like about TF2? The fact that it's tough to Rambo? I think that's a good thing. If you really don't want to cooperate with people, you can always play Sniper or Spy, who don't require much assistance. The only downside at the moment is the lack of maps, which should get better of time since HL2 has always had an very active community.

2. Which is good, why? To allow the player to spend 30 minutes backtracking to pick up a missile pack?

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
1. l disagree with almost every element of your list (haven't played them all). I also notice your list tends greatly toward console shooters. No mention of Battlefield, UT, Quake, etc. Did you play TF2 on 360 or PC?

And what exactly do you not like about TF2? The fact that it's tough to Rambo? I think that's a good thing. If you really don't want to cooperate with people, you can always play Sniper or Spy, who don't require much assistance. The only downside at the moment is the lack of maps, which should get better of time since HL2 has always had an very active community.

2. Which is good, why? To allow the player to spend 30 minutes backtracking to pick up a missile pack?

I'm a console gamer. Of course I'd list all the console shooters. I played the 360 version of TF2 and wasn't impressed in the slightest, neither was my roommate who played the original TF (and was addicted) and also TF2 for the PC. The maps are lacking, the guns are limited and all too much powerful all together. There's no clan support, which, if it's TEAM Fortress 2, why the f*** not? And, judging from what you say about Snipers and Spy's, you must not understand the team elements of TF2, either.

As far as MP, free roaming games are generally a puzzle just in the fact that the map is open for the gamer and he's not limited to only pushing forward. HL2 is sort of like playing the original Mario; the only way to go is forward. There's never a thought lingering in the back of your head saying, "Wait, did I miss something back there?" The open map is beautiful in that it nearly forces the player to explore every crevice within every room. In linear games, all you gotta do is shoot all the guys and then you can go forward. Sure, it can be fun, but it's almost impossible to screw up.

The fact is, if you don't like wide open puzzle games (and since you're denying that MP is a puzzle game, you're clearly wrong), don't play MP. If you want to stick to the linear games that require more hand-eye coordination than brain power, great. Both games are fantastic in their own right as well as terrible in their own right. However, Team Fortress 2 sucks and will always suck.

(I'm also guessing you didn't finish any of the Metroid games if you're asking me if I thought any of the puzzles were clever. Considering each game is just one, long, giant puzzle... yes, I thought the puzzles were clever.)

Edited by BobDylan

Hey, I'll get in on the TF2 bashing. As I said about ten pages back, it's the most disapointing game I have ever played. I paid 45$ to play the beta early as I was in extreme hype mode. But I hate it. Despise it. Will never go back to it. Unplayable. If I had it in disk form I would break it in half. Which is unfortunate, as I waited, very, very paitiently for 9 years for the game.

But after 9 years of playing TF 1.5, I simply cannot play TF2. It's a piece of crap.

But still, plenty of people like it. I just do not.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
Hey, I'll get in on the TF2 bashing. As I said about ten pages back, it's the most disapointing game I have ever played. I paid 45$ to play the beta early as I was in extreme hype mode. But I hate it. Despise it. Will never go back to it. Unplayable. If I had it in disk form I would break it in half. Which is unfortunate, as I waited, very, very paitiently for 9 years for the game.

But after 9 years of playing TF 1.5, I simply cannot play TF2. It's a piece of crap.

But still, plenty of people like it. I just do not.

Did you play the 3rd Metroid Prime? I traded my Wii for a 360 so I never got the opportunity to see how it was.

For those with NCAA 08 and who are playing on Heisman, here's a question that may sound stupid but I'm gonna ask anyways -- how do you tackle? It seems like I can't make an open field tackle. Diving at them usually ends miserably, just running into them (not hitting anything other than literally running into them) usually fails or they don't even attempt to make a tackle, and the hit-stick isn't precise -- it seems like you have to 'anticipate' with the hit stick, meaning there's a delayed reaction -- you hit it and then a half a second later it goes for the knees or for the big hit.

I'm also having some trouble in my season -- I'm 4-3 with Northwestern and seemingly can't stop anyone. I also have no pass game whatsoever. Any ideas there?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:12 AM)
I'm a console gamer. Of course I'd list all the console shooters. I played the 360 version of TF2 and wasn't impressed in the slightest, neither was my roommate who played the original TF (and was addicted) and also TF2 for the PC. The maps are lacking, the guns are limited and all too much powerful all together. There's no clan support, which, if it's TEAM Fortress 2, why the f*** not? And, judging from what you say about Snipers and Spy's, you must not understand the team elements of TF2, either.

The guns are unique and interesting. What do you mean they're all too powerful? You think it's too easy to die? Find a medic. I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of clan support. It's not difficult for clans to get together and face each other on their servers.

As far as spys and snipers are concerned, they're classes which contribute to the team as a whole but generally work alone.

(I'm also guessing you didn't finish any of the Metroid games if you're asking me if I thought any of the puzzles were clever. Considering each game is just one, long, giant puzzle... yes, I thought the puzzles were clever.)

Yes, I finished the original on NES (eh), Super Metroid (great), and one on Gameboy I don't remember much about (also eh).

Can you not name a clever or memorable puzzle from Metroid Prime?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:25 AM)
Did you play the 3rd Metroid Prime? I traded my Wii for a 360 so I never got the opportunity to see how it was.

I've heard good things. The Wiimote control scheme is supposed to be pretty damn good. Some people even like it better than keyboard/mouse.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
The guns are unique and interesting. What do you mean they're all too powerful? You think it's too easy to die? Find a medic. I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of clan support. It's not difficult for clans to get together and face each other on their servers.

As far as spys and snipers are concerned, they're classes which contribute to the team as a whole but generally work alone.

Yes, I finished the original on NES (eh), Super Metroid (great), and one on Gameboy I don't remember much about (also eh).

Can you not name a clever or memorable puzzle from Metroid Prime?

The puzzles don't really have names. And it's been years since I've played any of them, so no, I can't really recall any puzzles or name them. However, I do remember, in the 2nd Metroid Prime, the very last puzzle where you had to find all the keys to open the last room and fight the final boss was an absolute b****. Not very a fun puzzle.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
For those with NCAA 08 and who are playing on Heisman, here's a question that may sound stupid but I'm gonna ask anyways -- how do you tackle? It seems like I can't make an open field tackle. Diving at them usually ends miserably, just running into them (not hitting anything other than literally running into them) usually fails or they don't even attempt to make a tackle, and the hit-stick isn't precise -- it seems like you have to 'anticipate' with the hit stick, meaning there's a delayed reaction -- you hit it and then a half a second later it goes for the knees or for the big hit.

I'm also having some trouble in my season -- I'm 4-3 with Northwestern and seemingly can't stop anyone. I also have no pass game whatsoever. Any ideas there?

The game is a little ridiculous on Heisman, especially if you're a lower level team against a higher rated team. I started up a new dynasty last night with Illinois, with the schedule this year. Wisky and Penn St were top 15 and Michigan was #1. In each game the running backs absolutely destroyed J. Leman, an "impact player." At least three times a game their QB would scramble straight through my line and literally get hit by at least 5 players and still somehow break through and gain 15 yards. I think it just comes down to getting better players.

I love the game but I do have a few problems:

Why is it that during every replay the play selection screen pops up and blocks 90% of the screen?

The fact that a linebacker can always make an interception, even though his back is to the qb. I think this happens at least one time each game. I'll have a running back or TE run straight down the middle of the field. The linebacker gets caught and starts covering him. By the time I throw the ball, the RB or TE is a good 10-15 yards passed the linebacker. The linebacker, who is running with is back to me, always manages to turn around and intercept the ball.

The ability of safeties and corners to miraculously, at full speed, jump 5 yards in front of my WR on an out pattern. This one I never understand. I like the play action roll out. I'll have my QB roll out to the side that I have a WR running an out pattern (with no linebacker or CB covering underneath). My WR has a good 5 yards on the covering corner/safety, so I pass the ball. Just about everytime the corner/safety turns on the afterburners (which is amazing because he's already at full speed) and manages to either intercept or knock down my pass on the WR outside shoulder.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)

I was having the same problem and the best solution I came up with was to use the hit stick, but I make sure I use it to correspond to which player Im controlling. If Im playing a safety or corner I always try to hit it up so I take out there legs and if Im a linebacker or lineman I hit it down. I might have those vice versa, Im not sure which is which trying to think about it but I hope you know what I mean. The only way i leave my feet for a tackle is if I knife through the line and the qb or rb is going through another gap because occasionally you can shoot under a blocker or get to a guy you wouldnt normally be able to.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
The ability of safeties and corners to miraculously, at full speed, jump 5 yards in front of my WR on an out pattern. This one I never understand. I like the play action roll out. I'll have my QB roll out to the side that I have a WR running an out pattern (with no linebacker or CB covering underneath). My WR has a good 5 yards on the covering corner/safety, so I pass the ball. Just about everytime the corner/safety turns on the afterburners (which is amazing because he's already at full speed) and manages to either intercept or knock down my pass on the WR outside shoulder.

I definitely have the same issues.

Here's some more:

-The AI isn't the same with the computer's defense and your defense. This is similar to what you mentioned -- their corners will make ridiculously good reads on the ball, jump routes -- they do it all. I'm lucky if my cornerbacks attempt to bat the ball down.

I'm stuck on defense. Giving up 25-40 points is actually good for me, as I can usually manage putting up 40+. Zone doesn't work -- they just find that spot underneath the safeties. Cover two? I never run cover two anymore because any time I try to, they just run a slant route 25 yards over the middle of the field. Man-to-man has been only slightly more successful, mainly because -- as I mentioned -- the computer AI for the human's defense is absolutely putrid.

-The computer's defense seemingly makes a big hit on every f***ing pass play, usually jarring the ball loose for an incomplete pass, and it pisses me off that my safeties don't do the same thing. They always do that quick undercut of the legs immediately after my guy catches the ball, resulting in an incompletion.

-I hate how the computer knows if you're going to run. For example, sometimes I'll have third and short and go goalline. I'll call for a play action and see that the computer is playing nickel despite the fact that I've stacked everyone inside. Or, perhaps a better example -- I'll split out four wide receivers with the intent of running a draw, only to see that the computer is playing 4-3. Come on, seriously -- I send four wideouts on the field and you're going to counter with a 4-3? Give me a break.

I b**** so much about this game yet I always come back. I also understand that I'm Northwestern so in the end, my 5-3 record is actually quite realistic -- I shouldn't be 8-0. But it's how I got there -- I beat Ohio State at the Big House (on Heisman), yet lost to Eastern Michigan at home (got killed -- 52-17).

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
I definitely have the same issues.

Here's some more:

-The AI isn't the same with the computer's defense and your defense. This is similar to what you mentioned -- their corners will make ridiculously good reads on the ball, jump routes -- they do it all. I'm lucky if my cornerbacks attempt to bat the ball down.

I'm stuck on defense. Giving up 25-40 points is actually good for me, as I can usually manage putting up 40+. Zone doesn't work -- they just find that spot underneath the safeties. Cover two? I never run cover two anymore because any time I try to, they just run a slant route 25 yards over the middle of the field. Man-to-man has been only slightly more successful, mainly because -- as I mentioned -- the computer AI for the human's defense is absolutely putrid.

-The computer's defense seemingly makes a big hit on every f***ing pass play, usually jarring the ball loose for an incomplete pass, and it pisses me off that my safeties don't do the same thing. They always do that quick undercut of the legs immediately after my guy catches the ball, resulting in an incompletion.

-I hate how the computer knows if you're going to run. For example, sometimes I'll have third and short and go goalline. I'll call for a play action and see that the computer is playing nickel despite the fact that I've stacked everyone inside. Or, perhaps a better example -- I'll split out four wide receivers with the intent of running a draw, only to see that the computer is playing 4-3. Come on, seriously -- I send four wideouts on the field and you're going to counter with a 4-3? Give me a break.

I b**** so much about this game yet I always come back. I also understand that I'm Northwestern so in the end, my 5-3 record is actually quite realistic -- I shouldn't be 8-0. But it's how I got there -- I beat Ohio State at the Big House (on Heisman), yet lost to Eastern Michigan at home (got killed -- 52-17).

that's why I usually get sick of football video games and stop playing against the computer. On higher difficulty levels, the computer isn't really any "smarter," they just "cheat" more by making plays that your players could never, ever make and knowing exactly what play you're calling, no matter what package you send in like you said.