2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for fun, I'll list my useless draft board.

1. BAP (Best Available Pitcher among Josh Smoker, Michael Main, Madison Bumgarner, Porcello)

2. Nevin Griffith (Most likely available at #25)

3. Matt LaPorta

4. Joe Savery (has recently begun to hit 95mph. Yes, he's a Rice pitcher; but before the season began he was a Top 10 selection.)

I envy Arizona here. Aumont and Parker available to suppliment a solid collection of positional players.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
He's good, damn good, so a number two starter certainly isn't a knock. But I don't think with two pitches and the possibility of a third one, you can be an ace. Aces for me have four pitches they can throw for strikes, while Price has only two right now and his change-up is coming along.

thats a good point, hes been able to dominate at college with basically only two pitches....his change he just shows to hitters maybe twice a game, and ditto a slow curve...so i can see how that wouldnt translate necessarily that well to the pros....youre right though...even a #2 starter has a few all star seasons usually int he bigs, and id say thats about right for price....beyond being just african american i really think he compares similarly with dontrelle, without the funky motion, but a better slider

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
There is gonna be a top ten talent on the board for the Sox at 25, guarenteed. Will the Sox take him is the question? I will guess no.

The Rangers being one spot in front of the Sox sucks, as they have the money and need to draft a high-priced pitcher.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
There is gonna be a top ten talent on the board for the Sox at 25, guarenteed. Will the Sox take him is the question? I will guess no.

Probably not. A team like the Tigers will, which is why they will be competing for the pennant the next few years while the Sox will be around .500.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)

I'm not thinking that way quite yet. Everyone that has been picked has been regarded as a 1st round selection, and ahead of the White Sox.

If previously unknown first rounders or sandwich picks make it before the Sox then it's possible.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
Phillips actually makes a good point about putting them as starters to let them develope their pitches and improve command.

isn't that what were doing with long?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
even i am surprised with weathers....theres no doubt in my mind hes got the stuff to close in the bigs...but 8 is pretty high for a closer

He has a chance to be a damn good closer, but you need to go with higher upside with #8. He will probably sign for below slot money.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
even i am surprised with weathers....theres no doubt in my mind hes got the stuff to close in the bigs...but 8 is pretty high for a closer

so your Commodores will have three top 10 picks in the two years? Alvarez is the clear #1 for next year right?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 06:58 PM)
yeah, but its not like we would actually take a tough signability guy, right?

Who knows....for some reason, I think we'll go with one of the three guys who were supposed to be top picks, Savery/Brackman/Burgess

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
Who knows....for some reason, I think we'll go with one of the three guys who were supposed to be top picks, Savery/Brackman/Burgess

I wouldn't take Brackman(unless he somehow falls to us in the 2nd round, but I doubt that).

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
yeah, but its not like we would actually take a tough signability guy, right?

Spend the f***ing money, no more Broadways and Mcculloughs, and other 88-90 mph clones because they are cheap and easy to sign.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)

Burgess is Joe Borchard II tons of power, cant put the bat on the ball.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
Spend the f***ing money, no more Broadways and Mcculloughs, and other 88-90 mph clones because they are cheap and easy to sign.

Burgess is Joe Borchard II tons of power, cant put the bat on the ball.

Nick Schmidt reminds me of the type of guy we usually pick.

Did anyone read the article on how its hard to project college pitchers because the balls that are used in college have much higher seams, and make sliders and curves a lot more wicked than they will be in the majors. Supposedly the ball is different from the minors to the majors as well.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
What's wrong with Detwiler?

He's a mid first round talent that moved up due to signability concerns of a few of the high schoolers. He's also not a high ceiling guy like experts were saying the Nationals would go after.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
isn't that what were doing with long?

Yes.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
Love the selection of Parker by the Diamondbacks.

He's the type of pitcher I'd love for the White Sox to have. Perhaps next year they'll have an opportunity. :) ;)

:lol: :P

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
Nick Schmidt reminds me of the type of guy we usually pick.

Yeah, but I think he is slightly better than the two we currently have. I wouldn't be mad if the Sox got him. (ducks)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
Did anyone read the article on how its hard to project college pitchers because the balls that are used in college have much higher seams, and make sliders and curves a lot more wicked than they will be in the majors. Supposedly the ball is different from the minors to the majors as well.

I heard the opposite. Max Scherzer said pro balls made his breaking stuff better when he went to the Indy League.