Not Even Jenks is immune

Gregory Pratt

Now I'm concerned about the velocity for Jenks. His pitch speed was way down today. He shouldn't be sitting in the 91-92 mph range.

Also....what is the point of having Gonzalez on the bench? He might be the most useless roster member we've ever had.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Now I'm concerned about the velocity for Jenks. His pitch speed was way down today. He shouldn't be sitting in the 91-92 mph range.

What was his velocity like last night? I know he has been good this year but I would have no problem trading him if we do end up being sellers (which will most likely be the case). 91 mph straight as an arrow isn't too hard to hit. That being said when you score two runs in a game you are going to lose most of the time. Greg Walker and the offense deserve most of the blame again.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)

Those weren't straight fastballs from Jenks, they were that cutter-type pitch that moves down-and-in. Last outing against New York he was hitting a legit 96 on the gun -- that's probably the last thing you should be worried about at this point.

Boone Logan rocks, and nice game for Fields today. I now await the Jermaine Dye or Mark Buehrle trade. This team is losing games to bad teams in the NL Central. Time to throw in the towel, although I know the Sox can't really afford to white flag it so early in the season.

Also....what is the point of having Gonzalez on the bench? He might be the most useless roster member we've ever had.

We need another outfielder who can be a defensive replacement for Dye late in games. He was bad as it is, now it's worse with his injury.

Jenks pitched on back-to-back days for the first time in 3 weeks, allowing as many hits in one inning as he had in the previous 40 days.

If anything you could argue that he just wasn't used to being called upon so quickly[/i]. I mean you can't expect a guy to throw 18 pitches in two days and not see a drop in velocity.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Those weren't straight fastballs from Jenks, they were that cutter-type pitch that moves down-and-in. Last outing against New York he was hitting a legit 96 on the gun -- that's probably the last thing you should be worried about at this point.

Boone Logan rocks, and nice game for Fields today. I now await the Jermaine Dye or Mark Buehrle trade. This team is losing games to bad teams in the NL Central. Time to throw in the towel, although I know the Sox can't really afford to white flag it so early in the season.

There were a couple of straight fastballs to Carlos that were 92 or 93 mph. I'm more concerned about Jenks in terms of injury, not his production. Like you said, there's about 30 other members of this organization that are bigger question marks than him.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
We need another outfielder who can be a defensive replacement for Dye late in games. He was bad as it is, now it's worse with his injury.

Andy Gonzalez isn't an outfielder though.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)

That "hit" to lead off the ninth should have been scored an error on Fields. Jenks didn't pitch that badly.

Boone Logan is solid. What a novelty for the Sox bullpen this year.

They're not going to get anything for Dye at this point. Dye and Konerko have been killing the Sox so far. I was pleasantly surprised Thome got a clutch hit in the eighth, as he seldom does that so late in a close game. That's what he gets the big bucks for.

Well, I've tried to stay optimistic about this season, but unfortunately it looks like the Sox really do suck. Looks like the window has definitely closed. Too bad they won't even be able to rebuild by having a "fire sale" because they won't get much for guys like Dye, Crede and Iguchi now.

QUOTE(max power @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
The cubs are looking pretty damn good to me right now.

That team's going to win the NL Central by 7 games. All of the guys they've spent money on have been decent, and their call-ups in Marshall and Pie are looking like damn solid major league players. This baseball season was a nightmare from literally the first batter of the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)
That team's going to win the NL Central by 7 games. All of the guys they've spent money on have been decent, and their call-ups in Marshall and Pie are looking like damn solid major league players. This baseball season was a nightmare from literally the first batter of the season.

Oh come on, what about Milwaukee?

I was at the game today. And despite the glorious weather, the game was an afternoon of utter craptastic-ness that defies belief.

It's so hard to root for these guys right now. There's no spark, there's no life, there's no reason to get excited.

QUOTE(Balance @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
I was at the game today. And despite the glorious weather, the game was an afternoon of utter craptastic-ness that defies belief.

It's so hard to root for these guys right now. There's no spark, there's no life, there's no reason to get excited.

Yeah I went too. I miss the energy and confidence of knowing you have a chance in the late innings.

I think Jenks would be a good guy to sell high on right now. He's an injury waiting to happen, and the Sox aren't going to contend for anything in the next 3 years anyway -- bad teams don't need a closer. Would the DRays trade Upton for Jenks, Gio, and Sweeney? If so, that deal would be fine by me. Maybe Jenks and Gio for Longoria would be OK instead....

Garland had the best velocity I've ever seen him have. He was at 90-93 on the gun at the park all game with the gas. In fact, he had some trouble keeping the ball down, almost as if he seeemed surprised by it, early on. But overall, he pitched great, Fields had a really nice game, Boone did a great job.....but bad teams find a way to lose, and even Jenks couldn't get it done.

However, today's game was one in which I had 2 major issues with Ozzie. First, I thought we should have let Garland face Loretta to lead off the 8th, then brought in Boone or Thornton to get Berkman, then perhaps bring in Jenks an out early. There is no way Prinz should have been in there. None. And second was, to have Terrero bunt in the 9th was just not right. You only have 3 outs to work with, and you give away 1 of them to put a man only on 2nd for the 9 hitter and Mackowiak. Now I know Fields was really good today, but he has no chance against a slider like Qualls, and Mack was AWFUL today, so to set those 2 up isn't really that wise.

But a loss is a loss and a bad team is a bad team. Ugh, but Thome had a HUGE hit today in the 8th, so leave him the hell alone people.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 07:40 PM)
Im 0-8 to start the season.

That is all.

Today sent me to 2-1 this year and 10-2 in my last 12. I've had amazing luck.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)

Fathom your becoming borderline bipolar in your depression over this team with some of the stuff you are saying. That Cubs team is a bad team that will lose tomorrow to finish off a 4-3 road trip, and enter tomorrow 6 out of first. And they are 6 under .500. That is a terrible baseball team as well.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 03:08 AM)
Fathom your becoming borderline bipolar in your depression over this team with some of the stuff you are saying. That Cubs team is a bad team that will lose tomorrow to finish off a 4-3 road trip, and enter tomorrow 6 out of first. And they are 6 under .500. That is a terrible baseball team as well.

Of all people to say that I'm bipolar, I wouldn't expect it from you. It's not even that I think the Cubs are a great team....it's just the rest of the teams in their division suck.