Players only Team meeting after the game

southsideirish71

another tough loss for Ozzie Guillen's crew triggered the need for a players-only meeting shortly after the game concluded.

Signs of growing frustration were evident throughout the contest, from catcher A.J. Pierzynski kicking the dugout bench after striking out with two runners on base and the game tied in the eighth, to closer Bobby Jenks slamming his glove down in the dugout after allowing the game-winning run via three very well-placed Houston singles in the ninth.

From at least one player's account, this postgame meeting seemed to bring a little ease frustration-wise to the White Sox charges in the midst of handling this very rough stretch of action.

"You felt a little bit come off your shoulders, especially since it's just the team," said Jenks of the players-only chat. "The guys got together and joked and laughed a little bit after it was over. As far as what we are going to, hopefully, be preparing to do come this road trip, it will pay off.

"It was a great meeting. Everybody had smiles on their faces afterwards. It was nothing negative. It was just about what can we do to get back on the right track."

The quote before Ozzie knew there was a meeting.

Before Guillen knew of the postgame clubhouse talk, he put forth one of his mantras in that "bad teams have meetings, and good teams win games."
Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 04:58 AM)
Thome, Dye and Konerko need to step up and carry this team like they're supposed to. The responsibility for this team's success or failure falls squarely on their shoulders.

Can Thome, Dye or Konerko strike out Lance Berkman? None of them have been performing up to standards set last year (except perhaps Thome) but the blame for this team falls evenly among every single player, as well as the coaches and management.

I shouldn't even have to read Thome's name in a Sox loser thread or in any other threads for that matter unless of course that thread's title is "Players who are actually performing up to standards this season." The guy is having an outstanding season, kicking several forms of ass. Instead of Thome, Konerko and Dye need to step it up how about Konerko, Dye and Pierzynski or any of the other chumps currently showing up strictly for the paycheck need to get their collective heads out of their collective asses.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:36 AM)
I shouldn't even have to read Thome's name in a Sox loser thread or in any other threads for that matter unless of course that thread's title is "Players who are actually performing up to standards this season." The guy is having an outstanding season, kicking several forms of ass. Instead of Thome, Konerko and Dye need to step it up how about Konerko, Dye and Pierzynski or any of the other chumps currently showing up strictly for the paycheck need to get their collective heads out of their collective asses.

It's demented that Pods has the highest slugging in your sig.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:23 AM)
Can Thome, Dye or Konerko strike out Lance Berkman? None of them have been performing up to standards set last year (except perhaps Thome) but the blame for this team falls evenly among every single player, as well as the coaches and management.

Sox pitching performed well enough to win Saturday. The offense let them down--again.

The Sox offense hasn't performed all season. The starting pitching has been solid and the bullpen performed well earlier in the year. Even in recent games that the bullpen blew leads, the Sox offense didn't show up.

The responsibility for this team's dismal record falls squarely on the shoulders of Dye, Konerko and Thome. They are paid big money and are counted on to carry the offense. Collectively, they have sucked all season so far.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 01:00 AM)
Sox pitching performed well enough to win Saturday. The offense let them down--again.

The Sox offense hasn't performed all season. The starting pitching has been solid and the bullpen performed well earlier in the year. Even in recent games that the bullpen blew leads, the Sox offense didn't show up.

The responsibility for this team's dismal record falls squarely on the shoulders of Dye, Konerko and Thome. They are paid big money and are counted on to carry the offense. Collectively, they have sucked all season so far.

Why should I or anyone else for that matter take anything you post seriously anymore?

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)

Jim Thome has a 1.025 OPS this season. He is NOT the reason the Sox are in the position they're in.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:23 AM)

That is never true. For any team. Definitely not this one.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
a brawl against the tigers turned things around in 2000. Maybe these "nice guys" need a meeting to do something.

We fought the Tigers twice (in the 7th and 9th IIRC) of a 14-6 win over them on April 22nd of that year to improve to 11-6 and a game in 1st. That brawl had nothing to do with turning anything around, we were just damn good that year and the fight was fun.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
Jim Thome has a 1.025 OPS this season. He is NOT the reason the Sox are in the position they're in.

But his 2 run double in the 8th to tie it yesterday wasn't clutch!! The fact people rip somebody on the worst offensive team in the game that has an OPS over 1 is mind boggling to me.

Hopefully something like this kick starts this team. Anything is worth a shot at this point.

You cannot give the same blame to every player, because there are different levels of responsibility within the organization. They all play a part, but it is definitely not even, because some guys are pulling their weight and doing what they are asked to do, while others are not.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/42...T-jay10.article

The White Sox have gotten so bad, so fast, that Mariotti is actually praising Ozzie (well, not for managing) and has no choice but to rip into KW.

The funny thing is that the constant refrain from last year was "we were Soriano away from the playoffs" and now he's bringing out the "fluke" label.

The 2005 White Sox were not a fluke...the Cardinals were last year, or the 2003 Marlins (although they had tons of pitching talent).

You can't do much but laugh, though.

The 2003 Marlins were not a fluke. They had Pudge, Derrek Lee, Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo in his prime, Alex Gonzalez, Juan Pierre in his prime, Miggy Cabrera....plus Josh Beckett, Willis, Pavano before his arm fell off, Brad Penny, Uggie Urbina as the closer. That team was just DAMN good, nothing else.

/mini-rant

And wire to wire in their league (not just division), 11-1 in the playoffs World Champions aren't flukes. We were very lucky that year in the sense that everybody went our way and we had a ton of people play way over their heads, which is why the falloff we have had since is not a surprise at all, but it's hard to be a 174 game fluke.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...and Thome drove in both of the only runs yesterday. SSFM, are you just ranting for the attention, or have you not been watching Thome play this year.

I watch the games, not the stat sheets. I've seen Thome come up numerous times this year in key situations and fail. Yesterday was one of the few times I've seen him come through in the clutch, especially that late in the game. When was the last time he did that in the eighth or ninth inning of a close game? He may be the tallest midget in the Sox offense right now, but he along with Dye and Konerko are supposed to carry this offense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 01:17 AM)
Why should I or anyone else for that matter take anything you post seriously anymore?

And why should I give a s*** what you take seriously or what you think about anything?

EDIT: PS Watch Thome have a big day today and come through with a big clutch hit, and a few posters here will sarcastically bring up what I wrote. Well, the fact is, I expect Thome, along with Konerko and Dye to carry this team and come through in the clutch. That's why I'm so disappointed that they heven't been. And regardless of how well they do from this point on, what I posted still stands: The main reason the Sox are off to a poor start this season is the Sox offense, namely the middle of the order, Thome, Dye and Konerko, not producing like they were expected to do.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
I watch the games, not the stat sheets. I've seen Thome come up numerous times this year in key situations and fail. Yesterday was one of the few times I've seen him come through in the clutch, especially that late in the game. When was the last time he did that in the eighth or ninth inning of a close game? He may be the tallest midget in the Sox offense right now, but he along with Dye and Konerko are supposed to carry this offense.

And why should I give a s*** what you take seriously or what you think about anything?

Can't anyone just admit that they are wrong? Goodness. I cannot even fathom to understand how you would say that Thome has been bad. If you are looking for times when someone fails, you are going to find it. Especially in hitting a baseball. Stop looking at one or two situations that he may have failed and look at his whole body of work.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The "clutch" arguments are getting so old.

You won't like it, but the stat sheets disagree with you.

7th inning: .200/.467/.500 167 OPS+

8th inning: .357/.500/.429 158 OPS+

9th inning:.500/.692/.625 292 OPS+

RISP: .296/.475/.630 188 OPS+

RISP w/2 outs: .250/.667/.500 214 OPS+

Those are some GREAT numbers. This year Jim Thome is one of the most clutch players in the game.

Perhaps Thome would have more of a chance to succeed in those situations if the guys in front of him would get on base, and the guys behind him would actually pose a threat to the opposing pitcher making them not pitch around Thome.

Again, why should we take any of your posts seriously if you're just using a (poor) selective memory to form an opinion about a player over the entire course of this season so far?

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't anyone just admit that they are wrong? Goodness. I cannot even fathom to understand how you would say that Thome has been bad. If you are looking for times when someone fails, you are going to find it. Especially in hitting a baseball. Stop looking at one or two situations that he may have failed and look at his whole body of work.

Must be something in the Ankeny air. ;)

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)

Where did I say Thome has been "bad"? I said he, along with Konerko and Dye haven't carried this team like they are supposed to. When was the last time Thome got a clutch hit late in the game before yesterday? People on this board constantly whine and b**** when Uribe fouls off a cookie, or Cintron strikes out with men on base, but if the guys who are expected to carry the bulk of the offense would come through no one would notice the eighth or ninth place hitters coming up short.

This forum is full of whiners, quitters and eternal pessimists that almost never say anything positive or optimistic. I'm not among them. But when I point out that the middle of the offense has been the major problem, and Thome, although his numbers are good hasn't stepped up and carried this team, people take major offense. I guess the general consensus the is the whole team sucks except Thome, who can do no wrong.

In summary, here's my point: I just want to see Thome come through like he did yesterday more often. If he does, the Sox will start winning some games again.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
The "clutch" arguments are getting so old.

You won't like it, but the stat sheets disagree with you.

7th inning: .200/.467/.500 167 OPS+

8th inning: .357/.500/.429 158 OPS+

9th inning:.500/.692/.625 292 OPS+

RISP: .296/.475/.630 188 OPS+

RISP w/2 outs: .250/.667/.500 214 OPS+

Those are some GREAT numbers. This year Jim Thome is one of the most clutch players in the game.

The biggest knock on Thome is against LHP, and that is what people seem to bring up. His numbers vs RHP are stellar:

.338/.519/.675/1.194

and even though his numbers are pretty bad vs LHP, he still holds a .333 OBP against them.