Thome diffuses restaurant misbehavior

The Ginger Kid

This is pathetic. Let the speculation games begin. I'm going with Bobby Jenks and John Danks.

PHILADELPHIA -- Gentleman Jim Thome proved to be a better man than some of his White Sox teammates Sunday night at the Capital Grille.

The former Phillie came over to the table where Patti LaBelle and several friends were dining to apologize for the behavior of two Sox players who were cursing a blue streak just a few tables away from the LaBelle party.

LaBelle's manager, Damascene Pierre Paul, says he politely asked the table to talk with more respect for the ladies with whom he was enjoying dinner. An argument ensued, which was ultimately defused by restaurant staff.

On a local radio show, the incident was said to be set off by racist jokes the Sox players told, but Paul says there was no racist talk, just cursing and boorishness.

A Sox spokesman declined to identify the two players involved in the argument, but said they planned to contact LaBelle's camp to apologize.

Philadelphia Daily News

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 02:23 AM)
on an internet message board? :P

lol I guess it's just that the story seems pretty unrelated to a players character.

OMG ITS GOTTA BE JENKS, HE USED TO BE A BAD GUY HE MUST SWEAR IN PUBLIC

QUOTE(max power @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 02:44 AM)
Who gives a f***? s***, I swear all the time. They are just words.

Good for you, but in this incident, it remains to be seen what occurred. Hopefully the part about there possibly being racial things said truly is false.

According to one of the Sox' beat writers, the players who were at the restuarant were AJ (and his wife), JD, Thome, Danks, and Toby Hall. Ed Farmer, Singleton, and Herm Schneider were there too at a different table. I'm guessing they didn't make racist jokes if DJ was sitting there with them....

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to one of the Sox' beat writers, the players who were at the restuarant were AJ (and his wife), JD, Thome, Danks, and Toby Hall. Ed Farmer, Singleton, and Herm Schneider were there too at a different table. I'm guessing they didn't make racist jokes if DJ was sitting there with them....

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/

:huh:

The Article clearly stated there wasn't any racist being said.

What does DJ have to do with this? Did you mean Dye?

So you think the 5 white guys at the table would be making racist comments if JD wasn't there? :huh:

This is a non-story. Baseball players being a little uncouth? Why, I never!

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 06:21 AM)
:huh:

The Article clearly stated there wasn't any racist being said.

What does DJ have to do with this? Did you mean Dye?

So you think the 5 white guys at the table would be making racist comments if JD wasn't there? :huh:

I remember Pierzynski teasing JD last ST by telling him something about "oh, I'll speak to you in Ebonics if you want." (It was public, in the news.)

They were, of course, playing with each other.

If there were racist things being said, my guess is they'd be in good -- if maybe inappropriate -- humor.

Unfortunately anytime race gets involved, someone's bound to get offended.

If it is indeed true that there was nothing racial said at all, then I'm even more amazed that anyone would make a big deal about a f*** or a s*** or a goddamn.

There are so many whiney people on this Earth

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
4 letter words are not resturant appropriate, especially if able to be heard by other patrons. Common sense.

Unless they were talking about their performance on the field this season. Then the 4 letter words could not be avoided. Not to lace any discussion of the 2007 White Sox with that kind of language would be a disingenuous characterization of the season.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
Good for you, but in this incident, it remains to be seen what occurred. Hopefully the part about there possibly being racial things said truly is false.

The problem is that someone will authomatically say that whatever happened was racist or off colored racist jokes, but the person at the table that complained said IT WASN'T. But, heh when did the facts ever get in the way of a good story?

Let's not blow things out of proportion and also thanks to Jim Thome for being the class act gentleman that he is.

Sun-times with list of players

Dinner discussion tabled; LaBelle gets apology

PHILADELPHIA -- One year removed from the team's first World Series title in 88 years, Sox players were basking in the glory of their newfound fame with visits to the Playboy Mansion and the White House in 2006.

This year?

They're in fourth place and arguing with Patti LaBelle's entourage in restaurants.

Word got out about a Sunday night dinner in which unidentified Sox players were dropping ''F-bombs'' at each other in jest but drew the attention of the table next to them, where the R&B singer was seated. LaBelle's manager, Damascene Pierre Paul, came over and asked the players to speak with more respect for the nearby women.

Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski, along with his wife, was one of the players at the table.

According to an MLB.com blog written by Sox vice president of communications Scott Reifert, the other players were Jim Thome, Jermaine Dye, John Danks and Toby Hall, as well as Marianne Rowand, the wife of former Sox and current Phillies outfielder Aaron Rowand.

Pierzynski said they apologized for the loud language and didn't say anything else, but that apparently wasn't good enough for Paul, who came back to the players' table. Marianne Rowand allegedly told Paul that nothing said had offended her, and he need not come back.

He did, however, with one player finally letting him know that enough was enough. Because of his persistence, the restaurant manager finally told Paul to leave the group alone.

That didn't stop Thome from offering yet another apology.

''It was much to do about nothing,'' Pierzynski said.

There was no word on whether the Sox would be dropping Journey's ''Don't Stop Believin'' as their theme song in favor of LaBelle's ''Lady Marmalade.''