Matthew Thornton

zygoat

Is it just me or any time Thornton comes into the ballgame he struggles to get guys out and ends up blowing or giving them more of the lead?

I guess you cant blame Ozzie because Boone Logan hasnt thrown a strike in about 4 outings

Your thoughts, but I've just about had it with our lefties

Matt Thornton pitched a quick 1-2-3 8th which should have been his only inning of work for the night.

And in Boone's last outing before Sunday, you know the one 5 days before the final game of the Pirates series? Boone struck out the side against the likes of Shane Victorino (one of the better slap hitters in the game), Chase Utley (one of the best hitters in the game) and Ryan Howard (quite possibly the best power hitter in baseball. Boone Logan has been a ridiculously effective LOOGY this season. He's faced 35 lefty hitters this year, 8 reached base, 3 singles, 2 doubles and 3 walks. That's outstanding.

i dont why matt was even in the game. he had 2 straight righties to face in uggla and cabrera in the 9th, and gave up homer and a single. why not bring in jenks? i dont get hows its a "liability" b/c we "keep" having to put him in. keep? hes pitched 2/3 innings since a week

Yeah, Thornton is just not being used correctly. But that's what happens when the rest of your bullpen sucks- you bring in anyone who has been able to get critical outs in the past.

Ozzie needs to just start using Bobby in the 9th, whether it is a close game, or we're winning. He's not going to get much work in saving games apparently, so you may as well try and use him effectively somehow.

Uggla's line against lefties coming into today: .283/.352/.583/.935

Cabrera's line against lefties coming into today: .411/.492/.911/1.403 :o

I guess Matt's just lucky that Miggy didn't put one on the Fundamentals deck on the first pitch he saw.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 12:36 AM)
Uggla's line against lefties coming into today: .283/.352/.583/.935

Cabrera's line against lefties coming into today: .411/.492/.911/1.403 :o

I guess Matt's just lucky that Miggy didn't put one on the Fundamentals deck on the first pitch he saw.

I was close to calling it a Barry Bonds line. I'm glad I caught myself.

Bonds against RHP in 2004 put up a 1.609 OPS. That's like 2 #3 hitters put together.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ozzie's continued mishandling of the bullpen is making it hard for me to like him.

Yes, Ozzie is mishandling the bullpen by using it. If only he could figure out a way to handle the bullpen properly without ever having to actually bring any of the pitchers(exc. Jenks) into the game. That's the tricky part. It must be a deficit in Ozzie's intellect.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
Yes, Ozzie is mishandling the bullpen by using it. If only he could figure out a way to handle the bullpen properly without ever having to actually bring any of the pitchers(exc. Jenks) into the game. That's the tricky part. It must be a deficit in Ozzie's intellect.

LOL, I totally agree

Thornton's got to get a handle of his off-speed stuff.

Too often hitters are getting locked into that fastball of his, and if he mis-locates it, it's gone.

Almost the Neal Cotts syndrome all over again really.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
Thornton's got to get a handle of his off-speed stuff.

Too often hitters are getting locked into that fastball of his, and if he mis-locates it, it's gone.

Almost the Neal Cotts syndrome all over again really.

It makes you wonder what the hell is Don Cooper doing to help these guys?

LMAO. So true. What's Ozzie supposed to "manage" when after your starter's done, you've got... nothing, and Jenks. Nothing, and Jenks.

Like no other year before, the moment the starter leaves the mound I start crawling under the seat, knowing we're about the blow the game. Like last night. I can only imagine what Ozzie feels like.

Yes, Ozzie is mishandling the bullpen by using it. If only he could figure out a way to handle the bullpen properly without ever having to actually bring any of the pitchers(exc. Jenks) into the game.

That might be the best post you have ever made.

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:23 PM)
Is it just me or any time Thornton comes into the ballgame he struggles to get guys out and ends up blowing or giving them more of the lead?

I guess you cant blame Ozzie because Boone Logan hasnt thrown a strike in about 4 outings

Your thoughts, but I've just about had it with our lefties

Logan has been one of the best guys in the Sox pen and their best LH reliever.

Thornton got three up, three down when he was brought in last night. If Iguchi gets that bunt down, the Sox probably would have scored (can't say 100% sure because under a different situation maybe Konerko doesn't get a pitch to hit that SF) and Jenks would have pitched the ninth instead of Thornton. Although I agree it would be nice if you could count on Thornton to pitch to more than three batters.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man