Why the cub series is big

Harry Chappas

Seeing how this season is really out of control, sorry there are to many things that need to be fixed including 2 outfielders, a shortstop, and all but one bullpen pitcher for the White Sox to believe they have a chance. This weekend could really help my psyche........why you ask???? I am one of those people who hates the cubs as much as I like the Sox, both cause me a tremendous amount of angst. Well this weekend the Brewers host the Royals and the beloved Sox host the cub. A sweep by the Brewers and the Sox and the Chicago baseball season is essentially done.

You see, the jist of why I hate the cub so much can be typified as follows; They traded a good player and a player they needed to win and there is little negative media vibe. Barrett was thought of as a drag to the team. Nice media spin to benefit the cub but is this not a White Flag deal or at least at this time treated as one? The cub are still in the race and have zero catching depth. Blanco's career may be over. The media does not grill them at all.

Listen to the media and you'd get the impression that the Sox are 50 games under and the cubs in the thick of it. They both have the same number of losses! The Sox are being treated as an organization in ruins becasue their division and league are very very good. The cub are trearted as a legitimate franchise because........they are 8 out in a terrible league. Come on, Ted Lilly has an ERA of 4 in the NL and Marquis is slipping into 2006 form each and every day.

Instead of telling of the success the White Sox have had over the last 17 years the media covers them like they lost 90 games last year and once again they suck, come on.

Sorry if this sounds like a typical b****ie, whining, jealous Sox fan but hey I need to get fired up to throw hands at the cell the next three days and this is what I choose.

Go Sox!

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
Seeing how this season is really out of control, sorry there are to many things that need to be fixed including 2 outfielders, a shortstop, and all but one bullpen pitcher for the White Sox to believe they have a chance. This weekend could really help my psyche........why you ask???? I am one of those people who hates the cubs as much as I like the Sox, both cause me a tremendous amount of angst. Well this weekend the Brewers host the Royals and the beloved Sox host the cub. A sweep by the Brewers and the Sox and the Chicago baseball season is essentially done.

You see, the jist of why I hate the cub so much can be typified as follows; They traded a good player and a player they needed to win and there is little negative media vibe. Barrett was thought of as a drag to the team. Nice media spin to benefit the cub but is this not a White Flag deal or at least at this time treated as one? The cub are still in the race and have zero catching depth. Blanco's career may be over. The media does not grill them at all.

Listen to the media and you'd get the impression that the Sox are 50 games under and the cubs in the thick of it. They both have the same number of losses! The Sox are being treated as an organization in ruins becasue their division and league are very very good. The cub are trearted as a legitimate franchise because........they are 8 out in a terrible league. Come on, Ted Lilly has an ERA of 4 in the NL and Marquis is slipping into 2006 form each and every day.

Instead of telling of the success the White Sox have had over the last 17 years the media covers them like they lost 90 games last year and once again they suck, come on.

Sorry if this sounds like a typical b****ie, whining, jealous Sox fan but hey I need to get fired up to throw hands at the cell the next three days and this is what I choose.

Go Sox!

I seriously doubt any team will sweep one another. It's always a good series, so, yes I guess we can hope for a sweep, but odds are against it.

As for caring what the media or anyone else thinks about the Cubs chances, to tell you the truth, I don't even care anymore. Ever since 2005, I could care less about the Cubs and what they do. Both teams are garbage, which is sad in a city as big as Chicago. But I could care less about the Cubs and whatever they do. This Sox team is terrible and that's the only thing that bothers me. And I don't have much confidence in KW improving this team at all. I think alot of people are overvaluing our players, as far as Dye, Buerhle as the trade deadline approaches, and I have a feeling people are gonna be shocked and pissed by the players we get if we do decide have a firesale. I guess we will see what happens, but I predict alot of pissed of Whitesox fans if trades go down!!

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)

Oh boy :stick

I wish I could leave this town every time this stupid series comes up since the whiny, jealous Sox fans embarrass themselves and the rest of us Sox fans with this "We gotta beat the Cubs to preserve Sox pride" crap.

Look man, winning this series won't make this disappointment of a season go away or lessen the sting of it.

When the Sox won the '05 World Series, did the Cubs series that yr immediately come into your mind?

Well, YEAH, but c'mon--Cubs/Sox!! This is FUN! We're one of the few cities in the U.S. that can have a crosstown rivalry--enjoy it!

I love it. Except when we lose of course. It's even more fun invading Wrigley in a Sox jersey. Smells like... victory...

QUOTE(Allsox @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
I wish I could leave this town every time this stupid series comes up since the whiny, jealous Sox fans embarrass themselves and the rest of us Sox fans with this "We gotta beat the Cubs to preserve Sox pride" crap.

Then leave. Just because it isn't a big deal to you, to others it is. I have a lot of Cub fan friends who love to talk smack. Such smack can be averted with a Sox winner. You are right, it doesn't make up for the fact that the Sox are sucking right now and the season is over. But it does make certain things easier on a smaller scale.

I am not sure how hoping the Sox win and not liking the Cubs makes someone whiny and jealous. In fact, that was a pretty s***ty thing to say on your part.

While the teams may not be rivals, to a certain degree, the fans are. That is where the fun of this series lies. And if it bothers you that much, maybe you take this s*** a little too seriously. Its meant to be fun.

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 01:33 AM)
Then leave. Just because it isn't a big deal to you, to others it is. I have a lot of Cub fan friends who love to talk smack. Such smack can be averted with a Sox winner.

I have friends that are Cubs fans and we actually have intelligent, objective baseball conversations about each other's teams that don't turn into childish "my team is better than your team" crap. If you do with your buds, your problem.

I am not sure how hoping the Sox win and not liking the Cubs makes someone whiny and jealous. In fact, that was a pretty s***ty thing to say on your part.

He admits to being whiny and jealous in his post, I simply agreed with him.

While the teams may not be rivals, to a certain degree, the fans are. That is where the fun of this series lies. And if it bothers you that much, maybe you take this s*** a little too seriously. Its meant to be fun.

Again, the Cub fans I hang with don't look at me as a rival since I don't openly root for (Except when the Cubs play an AL Central Team) or against their team.

And no, these games weren't fun for me, a former season ticket holder, to attend. I gave away my tickets to these games because I couldn't tolerate the level of absolute stupidity FROM BOTH SIDES in the stands.

As somebody who has been to all the Cubs/Sox series at both parks for at least the last three years, I can say the crap between fans has been pretty good-natured.

I stood in RF at Wrigley last month next to some Cubs fans and while we were razzin' each other the whole time, it was all in good fun.

I'm sure there's still a-holes around who take it too far, but it's been nothing but fun for at least the past few years, whether there or at the Cell. I wouldn't miss it.

I can't believe what I'm reading. Before 2005, this was a big series. Now, it's just another series between a s***ty AL team and a s***ty NL team. After October 26th, 2005, the rivalry doesn't mean much anymore. Sure, the losses suck, but I would be much more upset if it was against the Tigers, Twins, or Indians.

To me, the rivalry died when the White Sox won the WS. It officially became moot when Barret punched AJ and Iguchi proceeded to hit a grand slam on the next pitch.

I agree the intensity isn't as much as it used to be and I could pretty much care less about the cubs these days but if you can't enjoy this series for what it is and how unique and fun it is to have two teams in the same city who pretty much despise each other than you pretty much suck at life.

These are unfortunatly probably the last "meaningful" games of the year so enjoy it...lets beat the crap out of Zambrano today and wake up this team...

okay I am amped now, time to go change into my baines jersey and get to the game early...

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
I agree the intensity isn't as much as it used to be and I could pretty much care less about the cubs these days but if you can't enjoy this series for what it is and how unique and fun it is to have two teams in the same city who pretty much despise each other than you pretty much suck at life.

These are unfortunatly probably the last "meaningful" games of the year so enjoy it...lets beat the crap out of Zambrano today and wake up this team...

okay I am amped now, time to go change into my baines jersey and get to the game early...

TRUE DAT. I just hope we don't get rained out!

To me personally the Sox/Cubs series has lost much of it's luster and frankly doesn't mean much to me anymore. But for me to tell anyone how to feel about this series or to say it shouldn't mean something to them is just pompous and arrogant. If you still care about these series then more power to you, I hope you have a blast watching the games this weekend.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
Cubs/Sox series' are not big series anymore. At all.

Id rather watch clips of your avatar of the manager throwing the rosen bag like a grenade all day than watch the cubs sox stuff like a hawk.

This is the first time I am going to miss a Cubs-Sox series not because I am busy or anything just because this White Sox team is so bad I can not watch them anymore this year I remember when my world stopped when these 2 played each other. I have so many memories of this series just like the rest of you do like I can remember during the series in 98 I was almost late for my High School Graduation watching the game go into extra innings (When Maggs hit the ball into the Vine game) I would have been late if my Mom wasn't yelling at me to go. I am one who enjoys interleague play but I think this Crosstown classic needs to be cut down to 3 games a year or Once every 3 years.