Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because it backs up my opinion. Not Mark's. Mine.

But your point is flawed because you are a fan and don't know anything about Mark's personal or financial life. Your point is not a point.. it's an OPINION.

True dat. I agree. Point does not equal opinion. His is an opinion and not a point. Apples and oranges.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
And I agree, I wouldn't want to leave Chicago either. If someone offered me $50 million and told me I could live in Chicago for the next 5 years or $70 million and I would have to live in New York for the next 5 years, I would take the $50 million. That is the ENTIRE POINT we are trying to make here.

LOL. So what's to stop Mark from living in Greenwich, CT and taking a private helicopter to Yankee Stadium every day?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)

But your point is flawed because you are a fan and don't know anything about Mark's personal or financial life. Your point is not a point.. it's an OPINION.

But your opinion is based on a situation not even in the same galaxy as Mark's, so why is it at all relevant? :P

And no, my point is not flawed. It has nothing to do with Mark personally. It has to do with money. And as with anything else, you can only have so much of it before it becomes redundant. Once it becomes redundant, other considerations enter the equation, which is what I am suggesting.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
So is there anything new? Last time I checked this thread it was 23 pages... and I don't care to read twenty-some pages....

Sadly the title/sub title of the thread is where we currently stand.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
Is he awesome defensively? I haven't seen him play, so I really don't have a clue. I love Crede's defense as much as his clutch hits.

Yeah...he projects to be an above average centerfielder (very good range, good reads, average arm).

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
Not quite sure why you brought up your work situation at all then.

And I agree, I wouldn't want to leave Chicago either. If someone offered me $50 million and told me I could live in Chicago for the next 5 years or $70 million and I would have to live in New York for the next 5 years, I would take the $50 million. That is the ENTIRE POINT we are trying to make here.

ditto...and you called anyone who doesn't agree with you a retard...which is why we are so FRUSTRATED! (insert smily with head hitting wall here)...I am pretty sure no one on this board has a "work situation" like Mark Buerhle unless there are some Sox players lurking on the board...which if you are send me a PM so we can meet up for drinks and discuss MLB contract negotiations.

Oh what the hell, actually I make about $10mm a year...so if you are the hot Sox ball girl who has that myspace account feel free to look me up.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
LOL. So what's to stop Mark from living in Greenwich, CT and taking a private helicopter to Yankee Stadium every day?

Pay attention, he wants to be close to MO...it has nothing to do with his commute.

And maybe he doesn't want to live with all the ultra-wealthy snobs in Greenwich...

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Pay attention, he wants to be close to MO...it has nothing to do with his commute.

And maybe he doesn't want to live with all the ultra-wealthy snobs in Greenwich...

Including Kansas City?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
But your opinion is based on a situation not even in the same galaxy as Mark's, so why is it at all relevant? :P

And no, my point is not flawed. It has nothing to do with Mark personally. It has to do with money. And as with anything else, you can only have so much of it before it becomes redundant. Once it becomes redundant, other considerations enter the equation, which is what I am suggesting.

You tried to compare it to mark's situation. I did not.

The only way your "point" is valid is if Mark himself told you the things you are repeating. You don't know what is important to mark. You don't know hom much $ is enough to Mark, and again, it's uninformed and an OPINION to think you do.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)

He does..? He told you this? Or did you mean to say, "it is my opinion that Mark want's to stay close to MO"? I don't get it.. Mark doesn't even go back to MO during the season. So he buys his folks plane tickets for every start. I'd guess they wouldn't mind not having to make the long drive.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
So is there anything new? Last time I checked this thread it was 23 pages... and I don't care to read twenty-some pages....

All you've missed is some pointless pissy little arguments. :P

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was pontificating on what Mark's motivations and thoughts might be, not what they are. You jumped on him (and others), responding with flippant, caustic remarks and direct insults.

Can you see why? They are silly remarks taken from left field. If you don't know the man or know what he is thinking then why would you make a statement about it or have an opinion one way or another about it. It is silly to comment on it if you are ignorant or lack knowledge of the situation. It is just silly. So can you see why someone would become frustrated and respond with flippant, caustic remarks?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)

Obviously we can't state Mark's opinion...only he can do that.

But as IAMSHAQ suggest we can draw inferences that money becomes less important the more of it you have, is pretty much the point we are trying to make. You can disagree with that and that is fine, that will be your opinion. But you pretty much pointed out that your opinion is the same as ours.

Again, head hitting wall.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
Can you see why? They are silly remarks taken from left field. If you don't know the man or know what he is thinking then why would you make a statement about it or have an opinion one way or another about it. It is silly to comment on it if you are ignorant or lack knowledge of the situation. It is just silly. So can you see why someone would become frustrated and respond with flippant, caustic remarks?

No. There's no reason to get that upset and resort to calling others retarded for making guesses and discussing what Mark's thoughts might be based on logical inferences and Mark's past actions and thoughts.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)

But as IAMSHAQ suggest we can draw inferences that money becomes less important the more of it you have, is pretty much the point we are trying to make. You can disagree with that and that is fine, that will be your opinion. But you pretty much pointed out that your opinion is the same as ours.

Unlike you I can't agree with that since I don't live that life. Therefor, my opinion is not the same at yours at all.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Money becomes less important the more you have? I don't think you would know this unless you are in that situation. Have you ever heard of "the more you have the more you want?" It all depends on the person. How can you possibly have an opinion of this unless you actually know the person and what is going through his mind? You can't.

No, I think Mark cares more about being personally happy, his family being happy, and his friends being happy. Certainly, if he wishes to do all those things you suggested, he will have the money to do so.

For somebody who doesn't know Mark at all, you sure pretend to know a lot about him.

Let me ask you this: Do you care more about the community you grew up in, and the people who live there, or your own career? Give me a break.

LOL, yes, I actually care about people that I grew up with, but don't live around anymore. If somebody gave me $70 million, you can bet that my old high school would have a brand new football stadium and weight room. And you can bet that I'd offer to supplement the pensions of some of my old teachers.

Can we PLEEEEEZZZZ get back on topic here?

We won't know anything for sure until the ink is dry or the Sox are stitching new names to the back of jerseys...but this story had to come from somewhere...even it's stretching the truth a little....

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
Money becomes less important the more you have? I don't think you would know this unless you are in that situation. Have you ever heard of "the more you have the more you want?" It all depends on the person. How can you possibly have an opinion of this unless you actually know the person and what is going through his mind? You can't.

You can base it off of his behavior in the past. Look up the story Neil Cotts told about their road trip as an indication of Mark's general attitude on life. Should be in one of the the no-no threads.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. There's no reason to get that upset and resort to calling others retarded for making guesses and discussing what Mark's thoughts might be based on logical inferences and Mark's past actions and thoughts.

Dude, it is not upsetting, it is frustrating. It is like listening to the dumbf***s that call the Chris Ranje show after the game and give their opinions and trade offers. It is really frustrating. What are Buehrle's past actions and thoughts that have brought you to this conclusion about him? You don't know him or ALL of the actions he has had in the past. You know he has a child on the way. That changes everything IN A HURRY!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
He was rated the 12th best prospect in the game by Baseball America in February. Good luck getting better value than that for Vazquez. To say it's simply a "man-crush" that this board has on him is beyond ridiculous, the guy has become a fan favorite in Arizona and is considered one of the best young players in the game by the leading minor league publication. Yeah, it's probably just a man crush.

Well I guess the Diamondback fanbase is very easily amused because I dont see "Baseball America's" projection holding up too well with his phat .246 BA and .285 OBP, when he does actually play. Milledge was the top prospect in baseball for year(s), is anybody saying that now?? I'd take Lastings in a heartbeat over Young, and yes, I think he could be had in a deal for Javy.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
You tried to compare it to mark's situation. I did not.

The only way your "point" is valid is if Mark himself told you the things you are repeating. You don't know what is important to mark. You don't know hom much $ is enough to Mark, and again, it's uninformed and an OPINION to think you do.

He does..? He told you this? Or did you mean to say, "it is my opinion that Mark want's to stay close to MO"?

You're the one who entered your own situation into the discussion. I did not. I'm just sort of curious why you brought it into the discussion if not for comparison's sake?

I apologize, I never, ever tried to claim I was speaking for Mark. But money is money, and it applies to just about everyone breathing in generally the same way. Now I don't know about you, but Mark doesn't strike me as the Barry Zito or Alex Rodriguez type. He likes to drink beer in bars and hunt deer. I suppose I am speculating, but it isn't entirely uninformed.

When I stated you missed the "point" of the discussion, I was referring to "the most important essential in a discussion or matter." Whether my "point" was opinion, fact, or pure conjecture, it doesn't matter. We were having a discussion revolving about $ and the most important essential to that discussion is that the difference between having $50 million or $70 million on one's daily life is entirely negligible.

Now Mark may indeed have grandiose plans to save the whales, or to eliminate poverty, and I am not aware of that. If that is indeed the case, you have my full apologies. He should go for the $90 million in that case.

Otherwise, I think it's very possible he likes his current team, home, life, etc, and may somehow find a way to survive on $13 million a year instead of $16 million annually.

Edited by iamshack