Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can base it off of his behavior in the past. Look up the story Neil Cotts told about their road trip as an indication of Mark's general attitude on life. Should be in one of the the no-no threads.

So you base this on Cotts' story? He is a common everyday down to earth type of guy. So am I. However, if somoene is offering me 50 million or 70 million to do the same exact job but in a different place, I am probably going to take the 70 million. 20 million dollars is a lot of freaking money. How this is even a discussion I don't know. We are talking millions here. Not thousands. You are talking a 40% difference.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
Unlike you I can't agree with that since I don't live that life. Therefor, my opinion is not the same at yours at all.

Does this mean you aren't capable of thinking about it or making an opinion on it.

Evolution would be at a standstill if we went by those standards/ideals.

FYI- per getting back to the thread there is no news so we get to devolve into this arguement...

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
Well I guess the Diamondback fanbase is very easily amused because I dont see "Baseball America's" projection holding up too well with his phat .246 BA and .285 OBP, when he does actually play. Milledge was the top prospect in baseball for year(s), is anybody saying that now?? I'd take Lastings in a heartbeat over Young, and yes, I think he could be had in a deal for Javy.

Its not even close. Young is twice the prospect Milledge is. Both have great tools but Young has so much more power it isn't even funny. Young conservatively projects as a 30/30 guy and he could hit for even more power than that. He also has a bat that the balls just jump off of (along the lines of Soriano and Vlad...ie lots of rockets when he makes contact).

However, thats not to say he doesn't have weaknesses and I'm not saying he's the next Vladdy or Soriano but I am saying he's a s***load better than Milledge as a prospect.

Oh and I am a Chris Young fan, I had been grading him out as the best outfielder of that trio (Sweeney/Anderson/Chris Young) for a long time (always saying that Sweeney is a more sure fired good player but that Young had more upside than any of the others and it wasn't even close).

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
For somebody who doesn't know Mark at all, you sure pretend to know a lot about him.

LOL, yes, I actually care about people that I grew up with, but don't live around anymore. If somebody gave me $70 million, you can bet that my old high school would have a brand new football stadium and weight room. And you can bet that I'd offer to supplement the pensions of some of my old teachers.

And you would be a strong candidate for the guy that blew the $70mm he received.

Edited by chiguy79

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Additionally, I never said a word about him wanting to stay close to MO.

You didn't, chiguy79 did.

Regarding the financial assumptions, probably best to just wait and see. I agree that Mark is a "simple" man, but from experience I have seen that money brings out a different side to people. He's got to do what works for him. And God bless him for it.

What a worthless piece of s*** thread this has turned into. :lol:

I think that's pure conjecture on my part, and it might even be an opinion, or maybe a fact, and the reality is to be determined by what Mark Buehrle thinks of this whole thing... :D

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
Well I guess the Diamondback fanbase is very easily amused because I dont see "Baseball America's" projection holding up too well with his phat .246 BA and .285 OBP, when he does actually play. Milledge was the top prospect in baseball for year(s), is anybody saying that now?? I'd take Lastings in a heartbeat over Young, and yes, I think he could be had in a deal for Javy.

Milledge was never rated any higher than 9th, he was never the TOP prospect in baseball. I'm kind of done with this discussion, if you'd like you an go back and read the previous 3 pages in this thread for any Chris Young discussion. I've pretty much made all the points I have to.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
OK, i'll be the jackass and not go back and read since I had my 1:30 call... is ESPN still reporting no talks and WSCR still reporting the deal is very close?

SORRY!!

Yes, everything is exactly the same, except there's a lot of piss on the floor.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
OK, i'll be the jackass and not go back and read since I had my 1:30 call... is ESPN still reporting no talks and WSCR still reporting the deal is very close?

SORRY!!

Correct, I can also report I haven't gotten anything done at work for quite a while.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)

SORRY!!

Basically.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
Does this mean you aren't capable of thinking about it or making an opinion on it.

Evolution would be at a standstill if we went by those standards/ideals.

FYI- per getting back to the thread there is no news so we get to devolve into this arguement...

No, sorry, I can't realistically think about having $50M. I know what I'd like to do if I had it.. but I'm smart enough to know those plans would likely change.

Comparing evolution to imagioning what it would be like to have $54M... that's rich, no pun intended.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
I'd be curious as to when Offman thinks there is going to be an official announcement since he is still sticking to it.

I'd assume after the game. Still, I believe 1000 at the moment.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)

Regarding the financial assumptions, probably best to just wait and see. I agree that Mark is a "simple" man, but from experience I have seen that money brings out a different side to people. He's got to do what works for him. And God bless him for it.

Don't you think we would have seen these changes by now? The $30 million he has now sure doesn't seem to have changed him...

I don't think he's suddenly going to go Pac Man Jones on us and making it rain on the strippers all the sudden.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)

I just brought that up when someone mentioned taking a helicopter from Greenwich to games.

I know many people who grew up in Greenwich and despise the place. From my experience, and from what I gather from the "limited" knowledge of Mark Buerhle's personal life, I don't think Mark would fit in with all the wall street and hedge fund executives who make up 90% of the people living in Greenwich. (Insert this is my personal opinion disclaimer here)

I know we all hope mark signs a deal to stay here and hopefully we can find out something soon.

But the POINT remains that most people (not Mark Buerhle personally) who are worth 10s of millions of dollars will not sacrifice a lifestyle that they are happy with for additional $$s.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
What a worthless piece of s*** thread this has turned into. :lol:

I think that's pure conjecture on my part, and it might even be an opinion, or maybe a fact, and the reality is to be determined by what Mark Buehrle thinks of this whole thing... :D

isn't obvious.... Mark Buehrle LOVES ZOO's!!!!!!

Chicago has two I can think of... Lincoln Park (close to the Cell) and Brookfield!

He wants to be within close proximity of dual zoos, in order to keep in touch with wildlife (hence the facial hair).

MO........ not enough zoos

this thread = down the s***ter

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
Wasn't Offman taken off the baseball beat a year or so ago, because he reported wrong information?

I think he reported the Maddux to the NYY before the Cubs signed him, but that was about 2-3 years ago, so it might have been something else more recently