Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 08:53 PM)
Agreed. It also sounds like the Lyle camp is leaking some of the Cliff to KU stuff. It could definitely just be smoke. I don't feel any different now than I did earlier. I think it's 50/50. The fanbase shouldn't meltdown just yet.

I won't metldown about Cliff. Well, unless he chooses Depaul. Losing him to Kansas? Tip your cap, disappointing move on.

Snider decommits? There's your meltdown.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
He had a ceremony at school?

Also contact with louisville has been confirmed.

I guess. Usually that ceremony involved the walk to the fax machine. I signed it. OK, let's go home now?

Isn't it an unwritten rule that B10 coaches don't recruit guys that have already verbaled? Yes, I realize Louisville isn't in the B10. And I realize this is Illinois so I'm biased, but I've always felt that trying to recruit guys that have already verbaled is shady. If the player announces he's opening it back up, fine.

I also think guys should be able to sign as juniors...or even really whenever the hell they want. Would eliminate all this late nonsense and would have the coaches more in control than the players at that point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 10:34 PM)
I guess. Usually that ceremony involved the walk to the fax machine. I signed it. OK, let's go home now?

Isn't it an unwritten rule that B10 coaches don't recruit guys that have already verbaled? Yes, I realize Louisville isn't in the B10. And I realize this is Illinois so I'm biased, but I've always felt that trying to recruit guys that have already verbaled is shady. If the player announces he's opening it back up, fine.

I also think guys should be able to sign as juniors...or even really whenever the hell they want. Would eliminate all this late nonsense and would have the coaches more in control than the players at that point.

I used to feel the same way, but now I have no problem with it. In fact, I wish Cuonzo would do it at Tennessee. But since he's a Big 10 guy, he has a rule that once a player commits, he won't recruit him anymore. And he has adhered to that with no exceptions in his 3 years.

And I'm saying this having been burned badly a few years ago by Aaron Craft and Josh Selby, who were both Tennessee commits. If other coaches hadn't poached them, and Craft didn't turn in Pearl to the NCAA, who knows where UT would be right now. We were ranked #1 at one point back in 2008, made the Elite 8 in 2010 (should have been Final 4 if not for a ticky tack foul call with 1 sec left in the game), and were really rising as a program. Then Pearl gets fired and we've missed the tourney for 2 straight years.

Edited by dasox24

This would be so Illinois basketball that right as things are coming together to be really good for years to come they completely fall apart. Cliff going to KU (if that's the result) wouldn't have bothered me with our class having Snider and Black. Disappointing but not a huge deal. Losing Snider on signing day would be an epic kick in the nuts though.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 12:54 AM)
I used to feel the same way, but now I have no problem with it. In fact, I wish Cuonzo would do it at Tennessee. But since he's a Big 10 guy, he has a rule that once a player commits, he won't recruit him anymore. And he has adhered to that with no exceptions in his 3 years.

And I'm saying this having been burned badly a few years ago by Aaron Craft and Josh Selby, who were both Tennessee commits. If other coaches hadn't poached them, and Craft didn't turn in Pearl to the NCAA, who knows where UT would be right now. We were ranked #1 at one point back in 2008, made the Elite 8 in 2010 (should have been Final 4 if not for a ticky tack foul call with 1 sec left in the game), and were really rising as a program. Then Pearl gets fired and we've missed the tourney for 2 straight years.

I think what you mean is what could have been if Pearl wasn't breaking NCAA rules.

And there is no unwritten rule in the Big Ten. Bball may be a little nice than football but when a recruit is the difference between keeping and losing your job do you really care about the feelings of Tom Izzo?

Pitino has been really aggressive trying to Poach this week. He was all over Russell on signing day.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
Snider's dad confirms Louisville contact

N.D. Kendrick ‏@NDkendrick 1m

A lot of Quentin Snider rumblings. Spoke with pops last night. They were finalizing at that time. Decision today. I moved Q back to L'Ville

... He gawn

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
Nunn also thinks Illinois strikes out with both. That'd be awesome.

That isn't Kendrick Nunn. That is a 247 sports insider. He is very connected to Snider so I'm basically writing off Snider at this point but that guys info outside of the Indiana/Kentucky area is no where near as solid. I'm obviously not feeling great on Cliff at this point (and doubt anyone really is) but I highly doubt that guy has better info than anyone else on Cliff's commitment. Frankly it has felt like Cliff has purposefully put out wrong information all week so that no one would know where he is going hence the rumors that he is dropping KU, committing to KU, going to DePaul, going to Illinois, etc.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
That isn't Kendrick Nunn. That is a 247 sports insider. He is very connected to Snider so I'm basically writing off Snider at this point but that guys info outside of the Indiana/Kentucky area is no where near as solid. I'm obviously not feeling great on Cliff at this point (and doubt anyone really is) but I highly doubt that guy has better info than anyone else on Cliff's commitment. Frankly it has felt like Cliff has purposefully put out wrong information all week so that no one would know where he is going hence the rumors that he is dropping KU, committing to KU, going to DePaul, going to Illinois, etc.

Oops, yeah, I always think Nunn when I see his name.

Well, to act like I did when the Gordon saga ensued and I kept holding onto hope, maybe worse case he just opens up his recruitment and doesn't sign with anyone until the spring and Illinois could still possibly land him.