Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)
Which is why there's so much excitement for Cliff and Illinois. He'll have a supporting class of upperclassmen.

For the record, I'm not totally buying into the final four or bust prediction other Illinois fans have. I'm not sure how refined Cliff's offensive game will be once he gets into the Big Ten.

Upperclassmen are underrated in college bball. Obviously everyone wants a Jarbari Parker etc, but I like rosters of guys who have been through the grind and can actually play college ball at a high level. For a good coach, they can do so many different things with experienced players, especially on defense.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:10 AM)
Also remember MSU will drop down without Payne and Harris, OSU probably takes a step back without Craft (though Rock you can better forecast that) Maybe Wisconsin loses Dekker. Indiana supposedly has a lot of talent with a bunch of McDAA's on the roster, but they'll be young.

This is almost certainly MSU's last shot at winning big for a while. It only takes one big class in college basketball to turn things around but Izzo's 2013 and 2014 classes were both incredibly underwhelming and when Harris goes pro after this year the only really good player left from the 2012 class will be Valentine. A starting lineup of Trice, Valentine, Dawson, Costello and Schilling? is probably a tourney team but that is about it. And the problem for Izzo is that the 2015 class in Michigan is really weak so he will again have to look out of state which he has struggled with the last couple of classes.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
For winning, sure. For being "the guy" and playing time, I wouldn't put Kansas ahead of Illinois.

KU is undoubtedly a better program than Illinois but as crazy as it sounds with the gap between the two teams this year, with KU losing Wiggins plus likely losing at least one of Ellis, Embiid or Selden after this year you can make a pretty strong case Illinois would have a stronger roster around Cliff than KU next year. Of course if Self gets lucky like he always seems to and those three stay in school Kansas would potentially be a monster next year adding Cliff and Oubre.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
For winning, sure. For being "the guy" and playing time, I wouldn't put Kansas ahead of Illinois.

If he is as good as his ranking, he is gonna get playing time anywhere he goes. IMO that's not a concern anywhere he goes, especially in today's college landscape. I guess he would be more of the Big Man on Campus in Champaign, but the best player in Lawrence is pretty damn popular too.

Officially landed the top bball class in the conference.

class rankings:

1. Ohio State

2. Maryland

3. Illinois

4. Indiana

5. Michigan

6. Northwestern

7. Minnesota

8. Purdue

9. Michigan State

10. Rutgers

11. Iowa

12. Penn State

13. Wisconsin

14. Nebraska

Top Prospect: D’Angelo Russell, Ohio State

Best Scorer: Dion Wiley, Maryland

Best Passer: Quentin Snider, Illinois

Best Shot Blocker: Trayvon Reed, Maryland

Best Floor General: Quentin Snider, Illinois

Best Post Player: LeRon Black, Illinois

Best Athlete: Jae’sean Tate, Ohio State

Best Shooter: James Blackmon, Indiana

Best Rebounder: Jae’sean Tate, Ohio State

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)

class rankings:

1. Ohio State

2. Maryland

3. Illinois

4. Indiana

5. Michigan

6. Northwestern

7. Minnesota

8. Purdue

9. Michigan State

10. Rutgers

11. Iowa

12. Penn State

13. Wisconsin

14. Nebraska

If Illinois lands Cliff they have the best class in the conference. Especially with OSU losing the Mormon today.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
If Illinois lands Cliff they have the best class in the conference. Especially with OSU losing the Mormon today.

I dont think thats the case based on the scout rankings. I could be wrong. The article said its settled.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)

class rankings:

1. Ohio State

2. Maryland

3. Illinois

4. Indiana

5. Michigan

6. Northwestern

7. Minnesota

8. Purdue

9. Michigan State

10. Rutgers

11. Iowa

12. Penn State

13. Wisconsin

14. Nebraska

I really want to see Blackmon sometime this year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
I dont think thats the case based on the scout rankings. I could be wrong. The article said its settled.

Using composite rankings Illinois will have landed the #3, 33 and 40 players in the country and OSU #18, 30 and 63. Each class also has an unranked big man.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
Using composite rankings Illinois will have landed the #3, 33 and 40 players in the country and OSU #18, 30 and 63. Each class also has an unranked big man.

Oh the article and rankings I use are Scout. KBD and Russell are 16 and 19. Snider and Black are 32 and 47. Probably why that writer declared it over. Based on those composites it looks like ILL would take over for sure.

Guess we'll just have to sign Myles Turner...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
Using composite rankings Illinois will have landed remember i #3, 33 and 40 players in the country and OSU #18, 30 and 63. Each class also has an unranked big man.

Yeah if Alexander committs I dont think anyone would take OSUs class over Illinois. I read the same scout article too and dont remember saying anything different.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah if Alexander committs I dont think anyone would take OSUs class over Illinois. I read the same scout article too and dont remember saying anything different.

Apparently only Scout would. They dont like KBD much huh.

We need another big at some point, maybe he'll just roll it over to the 2015 class which is already off to a nice start.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
Apparently only Scout would. They dont like KBD much huh.

We need another big at some point, maybe he'll just roll it over to the 2015 class which is already off to a nice start.

The way scout does their rankings has Cliff being equal to a guy like KBD (both 5 stars). I would bet if you asked anybody that actually worked for scout, they would take an Illinois class with Cliff over the OSU class. Their system is just flawed.

Either way both schools have really good classes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Apparently nobody can catch our class at this point, although there can be movement in other teams.

This is based on Scout right? IF Illinois were to land Cliff, the classes would stack up as:

Ohio State

16 - Russel

19 - KBD

54 - Tate

N/R - Bell

Illinois

5 - Alexander

32 - Snider

47 - Black

N/R - Finke

That's pretty close. I'm not sure how Scout figures their class ranks, but those are two great classes IF Illinois manages to land Cliff and there isn't much between them.

Now, Groce still needs to land Cliff for this discussion to even matter... but fun to discuss nonetheless.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
The way scout does their rankings has Cliff being equal to a guy like KBD (both 5 stars). I would bet if you asked anybody that actually worked for scout, they would take an Illinois class with Cliff over the OSU class. Their system is just flawed.

Either way both schools have really good classes.

Maybe we'll pull Turner and make it moot (not likely).

I know we lost the guy who never should have committed in the first place, but how does someone who isnt enrolling for 2 years counting as a 2014? Thats insane to me.

I think Matta is trying again in 2015 to hit a HR going all out for Kennard and Bragg.