Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Meyer said it was legit

Joe Henrickson says it's legit too. The guy was a top 20 player in the country a couple years ago, then he disappeared out of the AAU/Summer camp circuit so the major sites forgot about him. The transfers worry me a bit. That's a lot of moving around. Hopefully Groce doesn't pull a Weber and get a guy that he doesn't really want just to appease the fanbase with a recruit. Richmond 2.0 would suck.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 05:43 AM)
When I brought up Lovett a couple of weeks ago, some people here said he wasn't a fit.

I'm interested to see him because it sounds like he is super talented but a ball hog and a problem off the court. 3 schools in 4 years. I don't think a school like Illinois should let that get in the way. Doubt he's nearly as bad as Richmond.

Always major red flags when a kid burns through schools the way Lovett has. PG is too much of a position of need to not have Groce and co. do their homework on him - if the kid can get into school and through the NCAA Clearinghouse, he could be a wonderful fit.

Based on the offer from Illinois, I assume Groce is comfortable that Lovett can qualify.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Meyer said it was legit

Meyer was on the radio two days ago and said he didn't think the offer from Kansas was legit. Sturdy on rivals says the offer is for 2016 if Lovett reclassifies. Shrugs.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
I was one of those people. I thought the transfer were for bad behavior or grades or something. They still could be. Don't know. I'd rather not offer then. If he was transferring just to transfer, I'm okay with it.

And I know he's a bit of a YouTube legend and stuff, but I've never read anything to say he's a ballhog. Everything I've heard is that he's as true as a pg as you can get.

Heard the same thing. His videos show off his passing ability too.

Got some more backstory on LoVett, some which maybe common knowledge.

Didn't play high school ball last year. His dad is a major pain in the ass. Pulled him out of the school in CA because the coach wouldn't abide by the dad's restrictions. His dad didn't want Marcus playing in every game and gave the coach a list of the only games Marcus would play in.

On a good note, his dad, in the past few months, has realized he screwed everything up after Marcus tried to commit to UC Irvine and the school wanted nothing to do with Marcus and the kid and declined the commitment. The rumor is he told the Irvin's that he will stay out of everything this year and sort of just washed his hands of his own behavior.

Marcus definitely wanted to stay in state and/or go to Illinois...before the Kansas offer.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 05:43 AM)
Got some more backstory on LoVett, some which maybe common knowledge.

Didn't play high school ball last year. His dad is a major pain in the ass. Pulled him out of the school in CA because the coach wouldn't abide by the dad's restrictions. His dad didn't want Marcus playing in every game and gave the coach a list of the only games Marcus would play in.

On a good note, his dad, in the past few months, has realized he screwed everything up after Marcus tried to commit to UC Irvine and the school wanted nothing to do with Marcus and the kid and declined the commitment. The rumor is he told the Irvin's that he will stay out of everything this year and sort of just washed his hands of his own behavior.

Marcus definitely wanted to stay in state and/or go to Illinois...before the Kansas offer.

I had no idea of the specifics, but I was hearing similar things that the people around him were bad news. He doesn't come off all that bad in the interviews he has online. Is the Kansas offer legit? It sounded like it was Jerrance Howard doing Jerrance Howard things. Either way, if LoVett is even half as good as Irvin hypes him up to be those types of offers would have come anyways.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't get this "is this offer legit or not" stuff. If they offered (a simple yes or no question) and he takes it, that's a legit offer.

Well that's not a good way to look at it, as a lot of these offers have contingencies. The rumor for this one is that it's only commitable if he reclassifies to 2016.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't get this "is this offer legit or not" stuff. If they offered (a simple yes or no question) and he takes it, that's a legit offer.

Until UC Irvine says they're not accepting his commitment.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Well that's not a good way to look at it, as a lot of these offers have contingencies. The rumor for this one is that it's only commitable if he reclassifies to 2016.

Ok, but that's still a legit offer. If he accepts, they're bound by it.

Furthermore, what does Kansas have to gain for faking interest here? Do they really think teams will look at Kansas' interest, not do their own homework and then offer a guy sight unseen?

Or do people think this is some deal between Kansas and the prospect to drum up more interest in him? But again, what does Kansas gain by doing that?

I dunno, I don't get it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)

Furthermore, what does Kansas have to gain for faking interest here? Do they really think teams will look at Kansas' interest, not do their own homework and then offer a guy sight unseen?

Or do people think this is some deal between Kansas and the prospect to drum up more interest in him? But again, what does Kansas gain by doing that?

I dunno, I don't get it.

Jerrance also "offered" Bobo Drummond when he was an assistant coach at Illinois. If the prospect tries to commit the head coach can say that assistant coaches aren't authorized to make such offers, but that they're indeed interested. I don't see the big problem there.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)

I dunno, I don't get it.

Jerrance Howard was known at Illinois for just doing his own thing without really getting the backing of Weber. From what I heard, he saw LoVett and offered him on the spot. Does that offer have the backing of Self? That's the only reason I asked.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)
Isaiah Moss from Simeon commits to Iowa. He's never really stood out to me in a high school game. Maybe aN AAU recruit.

Simeon will start 3 Big Ten recruits.

I watched a number of Simeon games last year and I can't remember him ever making plays.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
The hype around the next big thing at Simeon, frosh Kezo Brown, has started before he's played a HS game. Nebraska offered.

I was going to ask you if you'd seen him play at all, but figured it was way to early to make any sort of judgement if you had.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
I was going to ask you if you'd seen him play at all, but figured it was way to early to make any sort of judgement if you had.

I won't see him until Pontiac unless they're on ESPN before that.

Edited by Brian

Some rumors that Jawun Evans might be wavering a bit on his commitment to OK ST because Thomas and Gilder didn't end up there. I doubt it amounts to anything, but just an interesting thing to pay attention to leading up to the signing period.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Some rumors that Jawun Evans might be wavering a bit on his commitment to OK ST because Thomas and Gilder didn't end up there. I doubt it amounts to anything, but just an interesting thing to pay attention to leading up to the signing period.

I would not be surprised at all by that, but still think the odds are low that anything happens.