Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like most of the top 15-20 players have wised up and will sign late if they "sign" at all. They realize it's not to their advantage to sign early. Zimmerman's mom says he won't sign a letter in case he needs to get out of it if the coach takes another job.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
Darius Paul coming back to Illinois next year, hopefully he's changed and will be able to produce when he gets on campus.

I guess he's being advised by John Lucas, who had off court problems and bounced back. Also close with the coach in Texas. Pulling for him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 06:02 AM)
I guess he's being advised by John Lucas, who had off court problems and bounced back. Also close with the coach in Texas. Pulling for him.

He's definitely being given a lot of chances by Groce, that means he's impressed the staff enough to keep him coming (also helps we missed out on our big targets thus far). Really hoping he's got his personal stuff figured out first and then he can contribute on the court.

According to 247's composite ranking, Illinois landed the 2nd highest ranked player of all Big Ten teams in Coleman-Lands. And we have the 8th rated class (right behind yours Rock).

-Man the Big Ten had a fairly weak class so far.

-Lots of players not signing NLOIs in the early period.

It'll be interesting to see how the recruiting game shifts with so many top players waiting to commit/sign now.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)
According to 247's composite ranking, Illinois landed the 2nd highest ranked player of all Big Ten teams in Coleman-Lands. And we have the 8th rated class (right behind yours Rock).

-Man the Big Ten had a fairly weak class so far.

-Lots of players not signing NLOIs in the early period.

It'll be interesting to see how the recruiting game shifts with so many top players waiting to commit/sign now.

We are 100% done and there is a chance ILL and others could add some guys so I think overall the Big Ten could improve.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
We are 100% done and there is a chance ILL and others could add some guys so I think overall the Big Ten could improve.

I think the only player left on Illinois' radar is Marcus Lovett. Unless Murray reclassifies to '15.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)

Illinois has 3 final targets for 2015: Bragg (not likely), Lovett (somewhat likely), and Murray (not likely).

I could see us adding Lovett but I think this class could be done.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
Illinois has 3 final targets for 2015: Bragg (not likely), Lovett (somewhat likely), and Murray (not likely).

I could see us adding Lovett but I think this class could be done.

I thought at one point we were pretty high on Murray's list? Is that not true anymore?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
I thought at one point we were pretty high on Murray's list? Is that not true anymore?

I think we're up there, but if he doesn't reclassify (which with Abrams back next year isn't the worst thing for us) then that gives the big boys (namely Syracuse) to gain ground/put distance between us. One of the most disappointing things with Groce/Ford is that they keep getting rave reviews in Canada for their connections but they can't seem to land any of those top guys, if they are going to continue to spend time recruiting/scouting up there then they need to get some value out of it.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)
I think we're up there, but if he doesn't reclassify (which with Abrams back next year isn't the worst thing for us) then that gives the big boys (namely Syracuse) to gain ground/put distance between us. One of the most disappointing things with Groce/Ford is that they keep getting rave reviews in Canada for their connections but they can't seem to land any of those top guys, if they are going to continue to spend time recruiting/scouting up there then they need to get some value out of it.

On the plus side with the class they got they should be excellent because he can actually coach.

• 3 weeks later...

Marcus Lovett debuted last night. 10 assists, 0 points, 0-7 from the field. Guess the comparissons to DRose and other Chicago guards was premature. His teammate, Charlie Moore, dropped 49 and 10 assists. They won by 80. Seriously.

Bigger challenge Sat when they play Larkin. Larkin has one of the best sophomores in the state in Christan Negran. He was throwing down alley oops as a frosh last year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 05:36 AM)
Marcus Lovett debuted last night. 10 assists, 0 points, 0-7 from the field. Guess the comparissons to DRose and other Chicago guards was premature. His teammate, Charlie Moore, dropped 49 and 10 assists. They won by 80. Seriously.

Bigger challenge Sat when they play Larkin. Larkin has one of the best sophomores in the state in Christan Negran. He was throwing down alley oops as a frosh last year.

Have you seen Moore play in person? His name has been popping up a lot lately, small kid but he's racking up the stats and I have little to no info on him.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
Have you seen Moore play in person? His name has been popping up a lot lately, small kid but he's racking up the stats and I have little to no info on him.

We was small when I saw him in Peoria in March. Supposedly he grew a lot over the summer but haven't seen yet. I know St Johns has shown interest.

Sunday should be fun. They play Simeon.