Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
But not getting caught is too difficult. Ok recruit, this booster is going to give you 50k. How does that stay hidden? Back in the day people would say, oh hey, that player drives a pretty fancy car for being a student. But that stuff can't happen anymore with the social media presence these guys have. They're too big on campus for that stuff to be kept under the rug.

I can see shenanigans in the various summer league circuits. I can see a boosters giving money to a family member and that potentially staying quiet, but in very limited situations. But the crap about Anthony Davis and his family getting 200k? I don't buy it. Someone would have seen a weird purchase at some point and then it gets tweeted or emailed or whatever and a fan base will go crazy. Look at how fan bases follow recruiting, and you really think that stuff will go unnoticed?

Also, the coach has to be involved. How else is the recruit going to (1) meet the booster, (2) have the "donation" be a part of the recruiting pitch? If they're not involved it's a situation where they know something is going down and they actively choose not to be a part of it but also not stop it, which is still cheating. Plausible deniability isn't a defense.

Again, I think coaches know what happens but most details are left out. I think handlers (family and non-family) receive most of the "care" from the boosters. That way it's harder to trace to the recruits themselves.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
But not getting caught is too difficult. Ok recruit, this booster is going to give you 50k. How does that stay hidden? Back in the day people would say, oh hey, that player drives a pretty fancy car for being a student. But that stuff can't happen anymore with the social media presence these guys have. They're too big on campus for that stuff to be kept under the rug.

I can see shenanigans in the various summer league circuits. I can see a boosters giving money to a family member and that potentially staying quiet, but in very limited situations. But the crap about Anthony Davis and his family getting 200k? I don't buy it. Someone would have seen a weird purchase at some point and then it gets tweeted or emailed or whatever and a fan base will go crazy. Look at how fan bases follow recruiting, and you really think that stuff will go unnoticed?

Also, the coach has to be involved. How else is the recruit going to (1) meet the booster, (2) have the "donation" be a part of the recruiting pitch? If they're not involved it's a situation where they know something is going down and they actively choose not to be a part of it but also not stop it, which is still cheating. Plausible deniability isn't a defense.

The boosters know who these kids are and whether the program is recruiting them without the coach telling the boosters, in the same way you or I know X program is recruiting Y player. For the connected boosters, I can't imagine it's that hard to get an introduction with the recruit.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 07:33 AM)
The boosters know who these kids are and whether the program is recruiting them without the coach telling the boosters, in the same way you or I know X program is recruiting Y player. For the connected boosters, I can't imagine it's that hard to get an introduction with the recruit.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2...g-man-interview

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
No, I like him. Heard he's 6'6 now.

Illinois should go all out on Nojel Eastern.

From everything I've seen he loves Illinois and Groce, he's going to light it up in Groce's system the way he shoots 3s. On top of all of that, he's really progressed his game to be more well-rounded, hugely underrate imo. (If you can't tell I'm a big big fan).

Illinois absolutely should be, and from all accounts they have been probably the most active team with Eastern thus far.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 05:49 PM)
He does have several Big Ten offers. Not a fan, I take it?

He had offers from Wisky, Indiana, and Georgia Tech, those were his most notable. He would definitely garner heavy interest if he opened back up, but that s*** ain't happening.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
From everything I've seen he loves Illinois and Groce, he's going to light it up in Groce's system the way he shoots 3s. On top of all of that, he's really progressed his game to be more well-rounded, hugely underrate imo. (If you can't tell I'm a big big fan).

Illinois absolutely should be, and from all accounts they have been probably the most active team with Eastern thus far.

Yeah, I wasn't a huge believer in his initially because I don't think he's all that athletic. He works his ass off though (as you can see by all the videos his dad posts on loyalty) and I think,at worst, he's a 3 and d guy. He shoots too well and works too hard not to be successful I think. Downside is a DJ Richardson type I think (Jordan is much bigger though).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)

Hope he's over his knee injury. Hasn't played a full season of HS ball. I know Kansas is interested.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
Yeah, I wasn't a huge believer in his initially because I don't think he's all that athletic. He works his ass off though (as you can see by all the videos his dad posts on loyalty) and I think,at worst, he's a 3 and d guy. He shoots too well and works too hard not to be successful I think. Downside is a DJ Richardson type I think (Jordan is much bigger though).

I was in the same boat, wasn't sold on his mechanics early on (seemed to have a low release point) and looked limited to the 3. However, he's clearly put in a ton of work, has grown physically, and has a really good head on his shoulders. I think he's a great fit for what Groce is trying to build.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)

I think Jordan is a better shooter than DJ as well. I don't think he will be as ready to play as DJ was his freshman year because DJ played against such great competition his last year in high school but I think Jordan has better upside (despite being lower ranked) based on his size and the fact he appears to actually be able to dribble a basketball.

Illinois just offered Morgan Park PG Marcus LoVett. 4* recruit with offers from Kansas, DePaul and Tennessee so far.

He has stated that he wants to stay in Illinois to play college basketball.

This kid has tremendous handles and is a true PG. Go watch his mix tapes on youtube. Unreal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
Illinois just offered Morgan Park PG Marcus LoVett. 4* recruit with offers from Kansas, DePaul and Tennessee so far.

He has stated that he wants to stay in Illinois to play college basketball.

This kid has tremendous handles and is a true PG. Go watch his mix tapes on youtube. Unreal.

Very doubtful that the KU offer is legit, but he's very talented. He would be a welcome addition if he can qualify.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 03:27 AM)
Very doubtful that the KU offer is legit, but he's very talented. He would be a welcome addition if he can qualify.

Kansas has about 3 scholarships to give and this guy is way way way down on the list.

When I brought up Lovett a couple of weeks ago, some people here said he wasn't a fit.

I'm interested to see him because it sounds like he is super talented but a ball hog and a problem off the court. 3 schools in 4 years. I don't think a school like Illinois should let that get in the way. Doubt he's nearly as bad as Richmond.

Edited by Brian

I was one of those people. I thought the transfer were for bad behavior or grades or something. They still could be. Don't know. I'd rather not offer then. If he was transferring just to transfer, I'm okay with it.

And I know he's a bit of a YouTube legend and stuff, but I've never read anything to say he's a ballhog. Everything I've heard is that he's as true as a pg as you can get.