Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
It's hard to consider any prospect a lock before they ever step foot on campus. We were favorites for both, yes, but after neither committed on or shortly after their visit that changes things. People think the distance was a factor with Evans and his mother (I'm sure it didn't help that there was a weather delay and their plane was rerouted to Indy). Evans going to OK ST only hurts us with Thomas, who named Illinois his leader last week, because he's pretty close with both Gilder and Evans.

It's easy to have a defeatist's attitude concerning Thomas, but most people feel it's between Illinois and Ok st. Luckily for us, he didn't commit after his visit with OK St and instead chose to visit Illinois which he then named his leader. I don't think Illinois gets him in the end because of his friendship with Gilder and Evans, but it's not over yet.

Being an Illini fan, unless there's a total surprise commitment, I just assume it's not going to happen. He's not yet been able to get a commit at the end of a recruitment. It's either on the visit or shortly thereafter.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
Being an Illini fan, unless there's a total surprise commitment, I just assume it's not going to happen. He's not yet been able to get a commit at the end of a recruitment. It's either on the visit or shortly thereafter.

You're going to hear no a lot more than you're going to hear yes, especially when it comes to these top 30 type players. We currently have a top 30, 50, and 80 player committed in this class, we're not barren and we're definitely not in bad shape. We need Thomas/Bragg more than Evans at this point, either are real possibilities right now but you're going up against the big boys or "ahem" variables.

Evans to OK St, no shocker there. Pretty sure he got worried about PT since we now have a ton of guards in 2015-2016, and can't blame him at all about that.

Hopefully he doesn't bring Thomas with him.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)

Nitpicking, but wasn't Colbert an "end of recruitment" commit? Technically Jordan and DJW were too - Jordan visited everyone in the Midwest before deciding on the Illini.

Illinois is right there with Thomas, sounds like they are very in it with Bragg, and Murray might reclassify. If the results on the court this year are good, you have to think that helps with both Bragg and Murray. I assume the staff is going to kick the tires on Lovett to see if it's a good fit as well.

Unfortunate to lose a guy that Illinois was the favorite for until the last month, but that's recruiting. Coleman takes a lot of the sting out of this one.

Finally, Self didn't "win" one of these recruitments until Villanueva really (I don't remember the Dee recruitment being all that fierce and Deron fell into Self's lap).

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Nitpicking, but wasn't Colbert an "end of recruitment" commit? Technically Jordan and DJW were too - Jordan visited everyone in the Midwest before deciding on the Illini.

Illinois is right there with Thomas, sounds like they are very in it with Bragg, and Murray might reclassify. If the results on the court this year are good, you have to think that helps with both Bragg and Murray. I assume the staff is going to kick the tires on Lovett to see if it's a good fit as well.

Unfortunate to lose a guy that Illinois was the favorite for until the last month, but that's recruiting. Coleman takes a lot of the sting out of this one.

Finally, Self didn't "win" one of these recruitments until Villanueva really (I don't remember the Dee recruitment being all that fierce and Deron fell into Self's lap).

Yea, Self really did a good job pulling in Villanueva.... to UConn?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Yea, Self really did a good job pulling in Villanueva.... to UConn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Villanueva

Villanueva originally gave a verbal commitment to play for the University of Illinois, but after Bill Self left the Illini for the University of Kansas, Villanueva withdrew his commitment. He considered following Self to the Jayhawks, but instead opted to play for University of Connecticut.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Do not remember that at all, nice catch. As for Thomas, just read that a couple insiders have heard he's saying different things publicly than what he's saying privately about who leads.

Got to imagine Oklahoma State is selling him on playing him with Evans and Gilder.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
He's gone. Pray Groce can pull off a miracle and get Bragg to be the star of a renaissance, otherwise it's a solid class with a guy like Paul coming back to fill the big man spot.

Darius Paul is coming back?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
That's just a guess. He has to be the back-up plan if they don't get Thomas or Moore. Moore btw seems like Kentucky all the way. Not a good sign that he canceled his official.

You can take this for what it's worth, but I heard that Kentucky hired somebody to a position that might not even allow them to recruit him. Given that they are also recruiting several other highly ranked players, they may not ever bother.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Part of me thinks he's somewhat trolling Illinois fans and loving the social media buzz and he'll end up picking OSU, and may have known this for a long time. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Agree 100%. His mom seemed to really like Groce though. Too bad that doesn't mean much.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
http://twitter.com/aroux94

Sooooo why not commit?

Yeah, I don't buy this. I think he realizes that most Illini fans have been pretty much giving up on him and he wants to add excitement to the recruitment again. I'm going to expect OSU until he does otherwise.

E: I have a feeling his interview is going to go something like this: "Illinois was a great school and recruited me really hard. Their fans were crazy. They were the leader for the while, but Armon committing to Ok St last week kind of tipped the balances. The opportunity to play with him and Jawun was too much to pass up". Sigh..

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
http://twitter.com/aroux94

Sooooo why not commit?

To f*** with us more?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
Yeah, I don't buy this. I think he realizes that most Illini fans have been pretty much giving up on him and he wants to add excitement to the recruitment again. I'm going to expect OSU until he does otherwise.

E: I have a feeling his interview is going to go something like this: "Illinois was a great school and recruited me really hard. Their fans were crazy. They were the leader for the while, but Armon committing to Ok St last week kind of tipped the balances. The opportunity to play with him and Jawun was too much to pass up". Sigh..

Probably exactly this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Sour grapes even before the guy spurns you.

This is the Illini special. I don't see any group of fans have these types of comments of "offered more money" "got a better package" more than those fans.