Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
I know I shouldn't be but I am genuinely happy you guys landed one of these guys.

I genuinely like Groce, barring some unforeseen terrible act by him I will root for him no matter where he goes. He's got a real bright future and I'm glad Thomas recognized it.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly can't believe we landed Coleman, a 5 star player from Indiana just doesn't go to Illinois. So now on to Evans and Thomas/Bragg, though I feel so much better having Coleman in because he can learn PG behind Tracy (I know not a great mentor there but he'll have time) and Evans is less of a "must have" recruit. He's still priority #1 imo because I think he's that good, but if we "only" add a big like Thomas or Bragg I will be just stoked for the future.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
I'm going to pretend you didn't say this.

Well I fully expect to him to be at Illinois for a long long time, and if he leaves it'll be because he didn't succeed or Illinois didn't pony up. Either way, I just like the guy.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 06:31 PM)
I honestly can't believe we landed Coleman, a 5 star player from Indiana just doesn't go to Illinois. So now on to Evans and Thomas/Bragg, though I feel so much better having Coleman in because he can learn PG behind Tracy (I know not a great mentor there but he'll have time) and Evans is less of a "must have" recruit. He's still priority #1 imo because I think he's that good, but if we "only" add a big like Thomas or Bragg I will be just stoked for the future.

Thomas is the priority I think. Or Moore. We need a 5 badly. Evans would be the cherry on top, but with Abrams and Coleman we're ok at PG. There was also twitter talk that Murray is all Illinois and could be talked into coming in 2015.

I was on the road all day so I wasn't able to check twitter and the web as I normally do. What a great surprise to get about 5 texts from friends in a 10 minute period with the news. HUGE get and I think it's a huge selling point for Evans and Thomas to commit early next week. With no other commits I think we have a top 15 class. With those two that's gotta be top 3. And all guys who would stick around for a couple years.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 07:20 PM)
He's saying that the statement that people like to throw around that Illinois can't get back to the top without the top Chicago players is being tossed aside by Groce as he's clearly getting top 50 out of state players in consistently now and he's still getting great talent from the Chicago area.

It's really good because we aren't as reliant on those Chicago guys now, and it seems our perception is much better outside of the city. Get top out of staters interested and committed and suddenly Illinois looks much better to the in-state kids.

More or less this. It's a common thought that Illinois should bend over backwards to please the Chicago basketball scene (hire Reggie Theus!) to get the top recruits from the area. I guess the best way to put this is that Chicago will never be owned by Illinois, so it's fantastic that we have a coach who can go out and recruit nationally (his top two recruits at Illinois so far are from out of state, and he has the interest of 4 other out of state top 50 recruits this year).

I have no problems with the big name guys going elsewhere, by the way. They don't owe Illinois anything.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 12:05 AM)
Can someone catch me up to speed on this rant Dan from IL went on this afternoon? What'd I miss?

He sent about 15 tweets which were basically one of these two things: "f*** you if you sit in A section" and "f*** you if you buy tickets to the games and don't go." Nothing too exciting, but it is kind of amusing considering how stiff he is as a moderator of his boards.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 04:32 AM)
More or less this. It's a common thought that Illinois should bend over backwards to please the Chicago basketball scene (hire Reggie Theus!) to get the top recruits from the area. I guess the best way to put this is that Chicago will never be owned by Illinois, so it's fantastic that we have a coach who can go out and recruit nationally (his top two recruits at Illinois so far are from out of state, and he has the interest of 4 other out of state top 50 recruits this year).

I have no problems with the big name guys going elsewhere, by the way. They don't owe Illinois anything.

It's funny isn't it. Honestly I feel like it's an uphill battle for Missouri to get St. Louis/KC 5 stars to come to Missouri. I think the feeling is like, that's where the in-state 3 stars go, I'm good enough for a top program. May sound dumb but when I was choosing colleges, going to U of I, where so many were going, kind of turned me off (because I was 18 and stupid).

edit: by same token, when we are chasing some kid from California and we are top 5, I never really think "oh but we are so far away".

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (gatnom @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
He sent about 15 tweets which were basically one of these two things: "f*** you if you sit in A section" and "f*** you if you buy tickets to the games and don't go." Nothing too exciting, but it is kind of amusing considering how stiff he is as a moderator of his boards.

He's an idiot.

He can't be THAT much of an idiot running that board. I'm sure he's making a ton of money doing little more than what we all do here. And I thought I read that his twitter was hacked? Maybe that was a joke someone tweeted.

I had a big road trip from Florida the last 2 days so I listened to a bunch of podcasts on UI basketball, recruiting and Coleman. He's a legit, top tier talent. Best or one of the top 2-3 shooters in the country. Scouting guys were comparing him to JJ Redick, a taller Ben Gordon and Jamal Crawford. Potential obviously, but still. Most also think we're REAL good with Thomas and that unless OSU blows Evans away we could be looking at a historic class. Top flight PG, tons of shooters on the perimeter and wing and then a legit 5 in the post. Illinois could easily be back on the map and that's before they've won anything.

/homer post, I know. But damn it's exciting.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 24, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
He can't be THAT much of an idiot running that board. I'm sure he's making a ton of money doing little more than what we all do here. And I thought I read that his twitter was hacked? Maybe that was a joke someone tweeted.

I had a big road trip from Florida the last 2 days so I listened to a bunch of podcasts on UI basketball, recruiting and Coleman. He's a legit, top tier talent. Best or one of the top 2-3 shooters in the country. Scouting guys were comparing him to JJ Redick, a taller Ben Gordon and Jamal Crawford. Potential obviously, but still. Most also think we're REAL good with Thomas and that unless OSU blows Evans away we could be looking at a historic class. Top flight PG, tons of shooters on the perimeter and wing and then a legit 5 in the post. Illinois could easily be back on the map and that's before they've won anything.

/homer post, I know. But damn it's exciting.

He wasn't hacked. He's had crazy rants on twitter before. He's a weird dude.

What podcasts did you listen to?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
There's some legit buzz that Thomas might commit tomorrow. Let's hope it happens.

Legit buzz, as in random internet poster posing as a person with sources who is never discredited when he's wrong about his predictions? Or legit, legit buzz?