Official Recruiting Thread II

I mean we'd be hearing about a press conference for Thomas right? Seems completely out of place for him to commit without one. Heck, he's scheduled on ESPN for November for an announcement, it would seem that at least an online announcement would be needed.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just going to bring a little SEC football recruiting in here and mention that Tennessee now has two 5-star DTs committed. If both of those guys sign, and they seem very solid, it will be the 1st time since LSU in 2001 that a program has signed 2 5-star DTs.

Pretty damn ecstatic with what Butch Jones is doing here.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Evans has announced that he is making his decision on Wednesday.

Cancelled his in-home visits as well. He knows where he is going, but man that doesn't bode well for Illinois imo.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 28, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
Cancelled his in-home visits as well. He knows where he is going, but man that doesn't bode well for Illinois imo.

It seems like Ok St. has the momentum on this one but Groce had an in-home with Evans just last week and the Illinois staff has known he was going to be announcing this week for quite some time so I wouldn't read to much into the decision date.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
It seems like Ok St. has the momentum on this one but Groce had an in-home with Evans just last week and the Illinois staff has known he was going to be announcing this week for quite some time so I wouldn't read to much into the decision date.

Just statistically it's not good for us as most top 100 prospects commit to the last school they visited. It's not 100%, but it's definitely heavily correlated.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Just statistically it's not good for us as most top 100 prospects commit to the last school they visited. It's not 100%, but it's definitely heavily correlated.

A person on Illinois Loyalty actually did a search on that and based it off the the top 100 kids from the 2014 class. Only 58% committed to the last school they visited. Obviously more than half, but not overwhelming at all.

And like the poster a couple above me said, Evans said that he would be announcing this week before his OSU visit.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 05:41 AM)
LoVett offered by Kansas already. This is the kid who wants to stay in Illinois. Nothing from Groce yet.

Considering Evans is deciding tomorrow I think it's likely we'll learn more about whether or not Groce wants LoVett. Assuming Evans picks Ok St, obviously.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm sure he'd be batter than Tate

So we should just take Tate's scholarship away? Is he better than Coleman? I know basically nothing about him (he looks to be from California?), but I don't want Groce to take him just because he's from Chicago. We owe nothing to Chicago recruits just like they owe nothing to us.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm sure he'd be batter than Tate

Then a junior Tate? Not sure.

And at this point we don't desperately need a PG, JCL gives us a lot of flexibility (and with Abrams playing in 2016 now). I don't take a problem player who is a fringe top 100 guy.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 07:22 AM)
I had thought I had read a few weeks ago that Thomas was a lock, or as close to as possible?

It looked like he was heavily leaning Illinois, but there is almost never a lock when it comes to recruiting. Jalen Coleman was an ND "lock" for a while and look how that turned out.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
It looked like he was heavily leaning Illinois, but there is almost never a lock when it comes to recruiting. Jalen Coleman was an ND "lock" for a while and look how that turned out.

Sure there's no certainty until recruits sign, but both have been considered locks or Illinois' to lose down the stretch here.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)

I think people need to realize that the way this information is gleaned is not very scientific and reporting on it will almost certainly get you clicks from all fan bases.

Until they sign, it's hard to bank on it. Rivals Mizzou's Pete Scantlebury just went on a rant on how fickle it all is after 6 month verbal TE commit for Mizzou football decommitted after the guy had spent weeks on a breakdown of him.

Good news about Biedschied leaving is on 10/11 when 3 top 40 recruits visit Missouri we now have 2 schollies. Though if we just land Bryant I'll be happy, land one of Briscoe or Blakeney and that is a game changing class.

This year will be painful though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
Sure there's no certainty until recruits sign, but both have been considered locks or Illinois' to lose down the stretch here.

It's hard to consider any prospect a lock before they ever step foot on campus. We were favorites for both, yes, but after neither committed on or shortly after their visit that changes things. People think the distance was a factor with Evans and his mother (I'm sure it didn't help that there was a weather delay and their plane was rerouted to Indy). Evans going to OK ST only hurts us with Thomas, who named Illinois his leader last week, because he's pretty close with both Gilder and Evans.

It's easy to have a defeatist's attitude concerning Thomas, but most people feel it's between Illinois and Ok st. Luckily for us, he didn't commit after his visit with OK St and instead chose to visit Illinois which he then named his leader. I don't think Illinois gets him in the end because of his friendship with Gilder and Evans, but it's not over yet.