Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 09:28 PM)
Ok, the Esa thing makes more sense now that Mitchell recommitted. Looks like we are done for the year. Still hearing bragg to Kentucky but who the f*** knows. Self has super strong snake oil

Did you see the Instagram picture that Bragg posted the other day? It was a picture of him in an Illinois jersey. Only team he has done that with....so far.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Did you see the Instagram picture that Bragg posted the other day? It was a picture of him in an Illinois jersey. Only team he has done that with....so far.

Shows he's interested, but when UK/KU put the pressure on him (and their boosters come calling) then it's a completely different fight.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
A Kentucky writer back in June said that Illinois was the leader for Bragg, thought that could change.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Groce had the best relationship with Bragg, leading to Illinois being the early leader (wouldn't be surprised the other way around, either). But, when push comes to shove, it's all about the big stage and getting to the NBA. To these kids, you can't get that at Illinois. The only way I see him going there is if he's the fifth member of an already top 5 class (i.e. we land Evans and Thomas), which is a bit of a pipe dream IMO. Or, I suppose we could surprise everybody and make a trip to the final four while returning a lot of talent...

I don't understand the whole "X school will get me to the NBA" thing, it doesn't make any sense.

You could play for eastwest southern alabama state a&m. If you have NBA talent, they'll find you, and they'll draft you.

If you want to talk about it helping their development a little bit? Maybe a LITTLE bit. But one year of a player "developing" at a school isn't going to change much when people are calling the player a possible lottery pick before he even plays a game in college.

Do you know why Kentucky and Kansas "put" guys into the NBA? It's because NBA-level talent go to that school.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
I don't understand the whole "X school will get me to the NBA" thing, it doesn't make any sense.

You could play for eastwest southern alabama state a&m. If you have NBA talent, they'll find you, and they'll draft you.

If you want to talk about it helping their development a little bit? Maybe a LITTLE bit. But one year of a player "developing" at a school isn't going to change much when people are calling the player a possible lottery pick before he even plays a game in college.

Do you know why Kentucky and Kansas "put" guys into the NBA? It's because NBA-level talent go to that school.

I don't disagree.

It all comes down to winning and lifestyle while winning. At Kentucky you live in a bazillion dollar dorm specifically for basketball players where the players are provided anything and everything you can think of. 99.9% of other schools don't have that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
That's not a real school.

Shows how much you pay attention to mid-majors.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
It all comes down to winning and lifestyle while winning. At Kentucky you live in a bazillion dollar dorm specifically for basketball players where the players are provided anything and everything you can think of. 99.9% of other schools don't have that.

I don't disagree with those benefits but that's not the point. And yes it's about winning too. But it's not about "which coach can make me an NBA player."

Yes but you oractice every day against higher quality players. Plus you get exposure at these schools you don't get at the others which leads to bigger shoe contracts and other endorsements. It obviously is a big deal to these guys. They normally all go to the same few schools.

C'mon now. You're severely underrating quality coaching and playing against elite talent. One year is HUGE in anyone's development in just about any sport at around that age.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
Yes but you oractice every day against higher quality players. Plus you get exposure at these schools you don't get at the others which leads to bigger shoe contracts and other endorsements. It obviously is a big deal to these guys. They normally all go to the same few schools.

Exposure is irrelevant at this point. Everyone's on TV, every game is taped, etc.

You get contracts and other endorsements once you get to the NBA, not sure how college plays any role in that.

They all go to the same few schools because those schools have a winning tradition and are the most famous ones in the game.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 11:08 PM)
C'mon now. You're severely underrating quality coaching and playing against elite talent. One year is HUGE in anyone's development in just about any sport at around that age.

No, I'm not. I didn't say development was irrelevant, but it's a small in the general scheme of things. It's a season. Guys are lauded as one and dones and NBA lottery picks before they go to college. That doesn't change.

Plus not all great recruiters are great coaches, either. You can get quality coaching in many places, not just 4-5 schools.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)

How about a guarantee to play well into the tournament, which leads to serious exposure. They also like TV time, so more prime time games is a HUGE plus. Those are giant selling points and thats why those schools reload instead of rebuild.

Antonio Blakeney reopened his recruitment and "rumors" (SOURCES CONFIRN) are that it was pressure from Nike, who is upset that Wiggins went from a nike AAU sponsor to KU (Adidas) and then signed with Adidas after. All of Blakeneys top 4 are now Nike schools.

It seems like one of those "superfan tries to rationalize decisions of 18 year old kid" rumors, but anyone heard of stuff like this before? I just don't see Nike being that dumb and risking their NCAA relationship.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
Antonio Blakeney reopened his recruitment and "rumors" (SOURCES CONFIRN) are that it was pressure from Nike, who is upset that Wiggins went from a nike AAU sponsor to KU (Adidas) and then signed with Adidas after. All of Blakeneys top 4 are now Nike schools.

It seems like one of those "superfan tries to rationalize decisions of 18 year old kid" rumors, but anyone heard of stuff like this before? I just don't see Nike being that dumb and risking their NCAA relationship.

The NCAA needs Nike infinitely more than Nike needs the NCAA. The shoe companies can do whatever they want - they are the Golden Goose as well as the 800 Pound Gorilla when it comes to recruiting impropriety. No one wants to talk about their role, let alone kill it. Their money indirectly funds all the non-revenue sports and maintains the NCAA itself. You'll never see them go after the apparel manfs.

Rumor is, Wiggins had cut a deal with Adidas before attending Kansas. He was literally delivered to KU.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
So not a guarantee.

As much of one as possible. Kentucky shows them their titles, their NBA picks and then how much they make the tourney

1942, 1945, 1948, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014

Then a tour of the bball only dorm which is better than any one in the country and its over.

Kansas has been a bit more creative in their pursuits, but the NBA thing seems to be a main pitch.