Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 01:38 AM)
Jerrance didn't recruit Richmond, you're right, but he sure as hell is the reason why he's sticking with the Illini. It was in some article awhile back. Simpson is nothing special. He will be no better than Shaun Pruitt. They will definitely not be as good next year without Brian Randle who isn't even that great. Yes I do realize they have Jamar coming back next year, but he is not as good as Randle. McCamey really hasn't shown much and I do expect him to get a bit better, but it will be very very hard for them to do good next year, especially considering the rest of the conference will be a lot stronger. This year was a down year for the Big Ten.

What are with the ridiculous player comparisons? Randle to Smith, a "nothing special" Simpson to Pruitt? The players you compared all obviously have completely different styles of play.

McCamey hasn't shown anything? REALLY? Most seem to think he's on the verge of stardom. He'd probably be there already if it weren't for his freshman inconsistency. Reminds me a lot of Frank Williams, with that rare ability to simply take over a game at times.

But overall, I would expect Illinois to be plenty good next year. The number one reason they struggled so much this year is that their number one SG is a walk-on transfer. That is simply inexcusable when the motion, which is completely dependent on quality SGs. As has been said, Illinois picks up about 1.5 proven SGS next year who already have D1 experience. No, neither Jamar Smith or Legion are world-beaters, but they are going to do wonders for Illinois simply because both can shoot. With those two and McCamey, their backcourt goes from a sever weakness to a strength.

The biggest worries would have to be down low. Tisdale will be your starting center, Simpson your back-up, so they should be fine there. Who starts at the 4 is anyone's guess. Maybe Brock if thy want to maximize the talent. They got Keller too coming in. He's a PF who is putting up video-game numbers in JUCO, who knows how that will transfer over.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah with Legion, Jamar Smith, and another year of growth from McCamey I was thinking the Illini would be better. Plus Meacham and Brock will both be back as well. We will definitely have our ups and downs since it will be a jump shooting team but overall I expect a better season.

Mike Davis will play a large role in Illinois' down low game next year. He's shown the ability to hit some open shots and pull in some rebounds this year and he should only get better with more time because he seems to be putting forth the hard work. Yes their strength next year will be their backcourt with the frontcourt being questionable, the exact opposite of this year. But I'd much rather have guys that can hit shots.

What a waste of everybody's time, it's been clear since a week before signing day that he was going to Ohio State. Not that Buckeye fans care of course, better late than never getting a guy that talented. Is he going to play basketball and football is my first question. He better be REALLY good with all the drama he's had in this process.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
What a waste of everybody's time, it's been clear since a week before signing day that he was going to Ohio State. Not that Buckeye fans care of course, better late than never getting a guy that talented. Is he going to play basketball and football is my first question. He better be REALLY good with all the drama he's had in this process.

He was actually smart since alot of his playoff bball games were played in State College PA where PSU was the home state fav to land him. He walked away with the bball state title and committed to his best option. And he'll only play football.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
He was actually smart since alot of his playoff bball games were played in State College PA where PSU was the home state fav to land him. He walked away with the bball state title and committed to his best option. And he'll only play football.

Well that would be smart if he had actually been considering anybody other than Ohio State. :lol: :lol:

I remember reading that he visited Penn State because his Dad wanted him to and his Dad is sick or something? Anyways, I guess it was nice of him to listen to Dad's point of view, but he was going to Ohio State since about February 1st.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Well that would be smart if he had actually been considering anybody other than Ohio State. :lol: :lol:

I remember reading that he visited Penn State because his Dad wanted him to and his Dad is sick or something? Anyways, I guess it was nice of him to listen to Dad's point of view, but he was going to Ohio State since about February 1st.

Yeah, but he made sure the fans at PSU didnt root against his team when he was in the playoffs because he left them an option, get it? Smart move. There werent too many OSU fans that thought he was going there, but we sure did think DickRod may sneak in and take him like he did with a few other teams almost commits.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Yeah, but he made sure the fans at PSU didnt root against his team when he was in the playoffs because he left them an option, get it? Smart move. There werent too many OSU fans that thought he was going there, but we sure did think DickRod may sneak in and take him like he did with a few other teams almost commits.

Who the hell delays a college choice so fans of another college won't root against them in a high school tournament? So no I don't get it at all, and DickRod seemed to creep out Pryor a long time ago, so he was never a threat to steal him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Who the hell delays a college choice so fans of another college won't root against them in a high school tournament?

A smart one who cares about his team winning. He had zero plans to visit any other schools and his announcement now got less attention that anything on signing day.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
A smart one who cares about his team winning. He had zero plans to visit any other schools and his announcement now got less attention that anything on signing day.

In that case, I expect to see many other highly recruited two sport athletes to do things like this in the future. I think Pryor may be the next Vince Young, but this logic regarding his announcement of where he's going to school is crazy. However, the only thing crazier than that is the idea that people at Penn State and Michigan have actually thought they still had a chance the last month and a half, so maybe Pryor is sly like a fox.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
Pryor has to keep his attitude in check first. If he does, he's a hell of a player.

He should already see some playing time next season in the Tebow mold. 6-6 running a sub 4.3 is something to behold.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Tressel must have really broke the bank on this one.

No shocker. He should of just committed on signing day. Everyone knew that is where he is going.

Coming from a fan of one of the biggest payout scandals in NCAA history. MMM Hmmmm

Who is bitter? I figured he was either going to Ohio State or Penn State, based on him not signing right away. I've been exchanging PM's with Rex on the subject. It was a no brainer.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
Who is bitter? I figured he was either going to Ohio State or Penn State, based on him not signing right away. I've been exchanging PM's with Rex on the subject. It was a no brainer.

Bitter=comment about OSU "buying" him. Otherwise you wouldnt have made that statement since he clearly chose the best football program with the best coaching staff and best facilities, but no, they bought him. Its hilarious you mentioned giving players money since your team was involved in one of the most prominent payout scandals in NCAA history. BUt, yeah, not bitter.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Bitter=comment about OSU "buying" him. Otherwise you wouldnt have made that statement since he clearly chose the best football program with the best coaching staff and best facilities, but no, they bought him. Its hilarious you mentioned giving players money since your team was involved in one of the most prominent payout scandals in NCAA history. BUt, yeah, not bitter.

Our crooked booster is dead. Your crooked coach is still employed. Why so defensive?