Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebanks has been very consistent in that he is playing a game of wait and see with IU. He still loves IU but plans to wait to see what happens before making a final decision. He has also been very honest in that he will talk to a few select schools (he did not name them) to ensure he has a backup plan should he not feel the IU situation is for him. He was clear that IU will still be every change when a new coach is named.

The key is how long will he wait? If we do not have a coach for another 4-6 weeks, which is almost a given, will he get impatient? My guess is yes. Dakich and Ray McCallum have already come to NY to watch him play and visit with him. He indicated he was impressed with them, but in the end, it won't matter until a new coach is named.

Guess you could consider that a decommit.

looks like juco power forward dominique keller committed to illinois tonight. hoopmasters had him as the no. 12 juco this year. definitely fills a position of need, although illinois has never really had a great track record with jucos.

keller

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 10:16 PM)
looks like juco power forward dominique keller committed to illinois tonight. hoopmasters had him as the no. 12 juco this year. definitely fills a position of need, although illinois has never really had a great track record with jucos.

keller

It is a no lose situation though. We have an open scholarship for 2 years so you might as well fill it. If he doesn't pan out, doesn't really matter and if he does pan out it is a huge help.

BTW - since Jerrance came aboard the staff is 8-8 on the recruiting trail. Ridiculous turn around.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 01:09 AM)
Diamond Taylor from St. Joes in Chicago commits to Wisconsin. Very solid player and recruit for Wisconsin.

Typical Wisconsin recruit, very solid player and very underrated. He'll fit right in there.

Also, Illinois got a verbal from JUCO PF Dominique Keller from Texas. He's the #19 JUCO in the nation on juco express and #12 on hoopsmasters. I have no idea if this kid is any good, but he's a front line player which Illinois badly needs, and he is just taking what was an open scholarship (due to Carlwell leaving) for the 2 years he'll be on campus. Thus it's a low risk and high reward move worth a shot.

Link to Keller commit: http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/sto...s-3258358.shtml

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
Ebanks has been very consistent in that he is playing a game of wait and see with IU. He still loves IU but plans to wait to see what happens before making a final decision. He has also been very honest in that he will talk to a few select schools (he did not name them) to ensure he has a backup plan should he not feel the IU situation is for him. He was clear that IU will still be every change when a new coach is named.

The key is how long will he wait? If we do not have a coach for another 4-6 weeks, which is almost a given, will he get impatient? My guess is yes. Dakich and Ray McCallum have already come to NY to watch him play and visit with him. He indicated he was impressed with them, but in the end, it won't matter until a new coach is named.

Guess you could consider that a decommit.

I see that he is listing Memphis, Indiana, Rutgers, & Texas as his final four for now. He does state that he may add another, but isn't expecting to. He mentions that Memphis is making a strong late run at him, and that Texas is "wing freindly". Rutgers has been there all along with IU before he originally committed.

Good get for Wisconsin on Diamond Taylor, Im pretty sure he was one of the top targets for Wisconsin this year and that they only have 1 spot left. They signed some guy named Breuswitz from Minnesota as well, they must really like what they see because they had chances for some other highly rated players but seem to have passed on them for him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
Diamond Taylor from St. Joes in Chicago commits to Wisconsin. Very solid player and recruit for Wisconsin.

Might set them up as a leader for DeAndre McCamey too. That is if Illinois decides not to go after him.

QUOTE(JuiceCruz16 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
I see that he is listing Memphis, Indiana, Rutgers, & Texas as his final four for now. He does state that he may add another, but isn't expecting to. He mentions that Memphis is making a strong late run at him, and that Texas is "wing freindly". Rutgers has been there all along with IU before he originally committed.

I take it that there are no rules about contacting recruits that are signed to an LOI with another school? I was just wondering how Memphis could be recruiting him while he is still under his LOI from IU? Guess there are no tampering rules?

Even though I'm back home for spring break, I'm going to have to consider driving the hour back to campus Tuesday night for this supersectional doubleheader: Joseph Bertrand and Sterling vs. Matt Roth and Washington, followed by Zion-Benton and Elgin. Then again, I'm much closer to Chicago State and Hoffman Estates right now and those are good too. Going to be some great supersections, and I can't believe the run Mt. Carmel capped off in their sectional last night by beating Whitney Young. Wow.

The matchup between Kyle Kuric and Ty Zeller is halfway to reality. Kuric's Memorial Tigers beat #10 Charlestown this morning 64-50. Zeller's #4 Washington Hatchets are about to tip off against #2 Edgewood. The winners will play tonight!

That's a pretty tough regional (still two levels to go to win state) having the #1, 2, 4 and 10 teams.

Zeller and Washington won setting up the matchup with Kuric. The game is at Washington, which should be a huge advantage for the Hatchets. Washington is 20-2 and Memorial is 21-1. Game time 7:00 (central) tonight.

illinois offers bartonville limestone freshman donivine stewart

to my knowledge this is illinois's first offer in the 2011 class although i would not be surprised if delasalle's mike shaw and curie's wayne blackshear also have offers, since both are projected to be likely top-50 kids.

stewart seems likely to commit to illinois. he's an interesting player from what i've read, not a great athlete and probably done growing at 5-11, but supposedly tremendously smart and savvy. he has scored 45 this year among a series of high-scoring performances.

either way, 2011 is the next class that illinois will have available scholarships for, barring transfer. they could have up to six openings that year.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
Louisville

Rumor is that Pitino kind of wants Kuric to decommit. Of course, you gotta take some of those salukitalk rumors with a grain of salt, but its been talked about a lot on that board

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
Rumor is that Pitino kind of wants Kuric to decommit. Of course, you gotta take some of those salukitalk rumors with a grain of salt, but its been talked about a lot on that board

My favorite is when I told somebody that posts there that their rumor that Bertrand committed was BS, and that Illinois was actually the heavy favorite (seeing as I actually know Bertrand) and they told me they have better sources than I do. :lol:

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 07:49 AM)
illinois offers bartonville limestone freshman donivine stewart

to my knowledge this is illinois's first offer in the 2011 class although i would not be surprised if delasalle's mike shaw and curie's wayne blackshear also have offers, since both are projected to be likely top-50 kids.

stewart seems likely to commit to illinois. he's an interesting player from what i've read, not a great athlete and probably done growing at 5-11, but supposedly tremendously smart and savvy. he has scored 45 this year among a series of high-scoring performances.

either way, 2011 is the next class that illinois will have available scholarships for, barring transfer. they could have up to six openings that year.

Mike Shaw has an offer. Stewart is not a great athlete but he is quick and that is the most important athletic trait for a PG. However, he is absolutely fantastic with the ball in his hands and the numbers he has put up against good competition are amazing for a freshman.

Mike Shaw and Blackshear have offers. I've heard they do from DePaul. I pray they would want to stay home...

I've seen both play (Mike Shaw 3 times as he's caught my interest in going to see games at my old high school, De La Salle). They look great. Haven't seen De's other freshman Henley yet as he's on the sophmore team but will next year when he's on varsity.

Shaw has been very impressive.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)

Correct, they have six openings for the class of 2011 as of now, and none before that due to the JUCO Keller jumping on last week. One more spot will up for 2012, where as of now, Stan Simpson would be the only senior (but that's not for sure, he might redshirt). Also, one spot is open for next year only due to Randle being a 5th year senior, so Trent will likely be put on scholarship for his senior year, which is nice since he has earned that this year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

E.C. Central's repeat hopes are dashed by a terrible South Bend Riley team. Easily the weakest of the 4 opponents they faced to this point and they blew a 13 point lead with 2 minutes left (14-0 run) to end up losing 61-60 with a buzzer beater put back. Memphis recruit Angel Garcia was a non factor in both games. Congrats to a far outmanned Riley for advanceing to the final four where they will be far outmanned again against Marion and their N.C. State bound tandem.