Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 9, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
Leslie McDonald commited to UNC today after visiting UNC and Duke this weekend. Very nice capper to the 09 class.

3 of the top 27, 5 of the top 53.

There are some rumors that the Wear twins may be considering backing out of the UNC commit. With the Heels offering Ryan Kelly this may be what has fueled the rumors. Henson seems to be a one and done type with his resent play, so this may be wherew Roy is coming up with the Kelly offer. In any event Roy is on a roll. With Lawson/Ellington/Greene all returning all is right in blue heaven at this point.

McDonald was a TOP target for Duke. They are really banking on Kenny Boyton at this point and it seems to be them and Florida in the catbird seat for him. He is a beast at the point guard spot.

Rival 2010 hoop ranking are out. My Tarheel commits are Bullock #9 and Marshall #23 (have offered Roscoe Smith#16 this week as well). Illinois has Head #11 & Richmond #32. Ohio State loaded again Sullinger #3, Thomas #7, Golden#51. Other teams of note represented on here Purdue commit Carroll #44 and Iowa State commit Dykstra #92.Wisconsin was well represented as well.

Uh yeah, so the Buckeyes are now up to 23 commits for 2009. Unbelievable early commit numbers and are sitting pretty as one if not the top class in the country.

So far:

4 star DB CJ Barnett

5 star LB Dorian Bell

3 star DT Adam Bellamy

3 star ATH Zach Boren

4 star ATH Corey Brown

3 star WR Duron Carter (chris carter's son)

4 star DB Dominic Clarke

4 star DE Melvin Fellows

4 star WR Chris Fields

3 star TE Reid Fragel

4 star DB Justin Green

4 star ATH Jordan Hall

3 star LB Adam Homan

4 star RB Carlos Hyde

4 star WR James Jackson

4 star ATH Storm Klein

4 star OL Corey Linsley

4 star DB Bradley McDougald

4 star OL Jack Mewhort

4 star DE Jon Newsome

4 star DT John Simon

4 star LB Jordan Whiting

4 star DB Jamie Wood

Talk is that Chris Watt is a silent verbal right now. The Bucks could call it a day on next years class within the next month or so. I havent seen that in my lifetime this early thats for sure.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
Uh yeah, so the Buckeyes are now up to 23 commits for 2009. Unbelievable early commit numbers and are sitting pretty as one if not the top class in the country.

So far:

4 star DB CJ Barnett

5 star LB Dorian Bell

3 star DT Adam Bellamy

3 star ATH Zach Boren

4 star ATH Corey Brown

4 star DB Dominic Clarke

4 star DE Melvin Fellows

4 star WR Chris Fields

3 star TE Reid Fragel

4 star DB Justin Green

4 star ATH Jordan Hall

3 star LB Adam Homan

4 star RB Carlos Hyde

4 star WR James Jackson

4 star ATH Storm Klein

4 star OL Corey Linsley

4 star OL Jack Mewhort

4 star DE Jon Newsome

4 star DT John Simon

4 star LB Jordan Whiting

4 star DB Jamie Wood

Talk is that Chris Watt is a silent verbal right now. The Bucks could call it a day on next years class within the next month or so. I havent seen that in my lifetime this early thats for sure.

it's a great class, but it ain't close to the best. USC is gonna possibly the best ever and for USC to top USC is amazing. They have like 5 5-stars already. Pete Carroll is ridiculous and although some may argue they are a little sketchy about their recruiting, the NCAA hasn't busted them yet (as a team, Reggie Bush is a bit different)

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 29, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
it's a great class, but it ain't close to the best. USC is gonna possibly the best ever and for USC to top USC is amazing. They have like 5 5-stars already. Pete Carroll is ridiculous and although some may argue they are a little sketchy about their recruiting, the NCAA hasn't busted them yet (as a team, Reggie Bush is a bit different)

Cant wait to face them on the field. And I am just in awe and how many commits we got this early. The class may be finished in a few weeks, thats ridiculous.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)

So far:

4 star DB CJ Barnett

5 star LB Dorian Bell

3 star DT Adam Bellamy

3 star ATH Zach Boren

4 star ATH Corey Brown

4 star DB Dominic Clarke

4 star DE Melvin Fellows

4 star WR Chris Fields

3 star TE Reid Fragel

4 star DB Justin Green

4 star ATH Jordan Hall

3 star LB Adam Homan

4 star RB Carlos Hyde

4 star WR James Jackson

4 star ATH Storm Klein

4 star OL Corey Linsley

4 star OL Jack Mewhort

4 star DE Jon Newsome

4 star DT John Simon

4 star LB Jordan Whiting

4 star DB Jamie Wood

Jim Tressel is a God. Go Bucks!

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
ISU reportedly the favorite for '09 #1 JUCO (per Scout) *****QB Darius Reynolds.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=171&f=2549&t=2642511

Heads since I know you got the pulse of Iowa sports (all of it) what's the word with '10 hooper Harrison Barnes. I know everyone is/will be after the kid, but will he stay in-state to be a Cyclone or Hawkeye or venture outside? What you hearing if anything?

NIU got a commit from a 3 star quarterback recruit named A.J. Hill from downstate Illinois. It's not a surprise, as his brother Nick was a standout QB for SIU and played under our now coach Jerry Kill, but still a good get. We don't get a ton of 3 stars, and A.J. is supposedly better than his brother at this stage by all accounts.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
Heads since I know you got the pulse of Iowa sports (all of it) what's the word with '10 hooper Harrison Barnes. I know everyone is/will be after the kid, but will he stay in-state to be a Cyclone or Hawkeye or venture outside? What you hearing if anything?

ISU is the favorite, but the chances of staying in Ames are under 50%. Both KU and Texas have offered him.

I don't see him becoming a Hawk.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-jennin...,0,616200.story

And so it begins, I hadnt heard about the story but I had been discussing this with my friends for some time now. It is only a matter of time before prep stars realize that they can make a few million playing in Europe instead of going to the NCAA. The real problem will begin when these European teams put soccer style buy out clauses in the contracts and make it so that even when the NBA teams draft them, they have to pay money to get them back which will make the risk for the European club small.

I hope that the NBA realizes that it is not a monopoly on world basketball and that if an 18 year old is good enough for the NBA, he should be allowed to play. Its not the kids fault that an NBA team throws 15 mil at him and then he doesnt pan out. If anything the kid is the one who benefits as if he flamed out as a freshman in college hed make $0, and only have a $100,000 education to show for it. With even a $1mil salary that same person could go to college and have money left in their pocket to live off of.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Jun 26, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
Rival 2010 hoop ranking are out. My Tarheel commits are Bullock #9 and Marshall #23 (have offered Roscoe Smith#16 this week as well). Illinois has Head #11 & Richmond #32. Ohio State loaded again Sullinger #3, Thomas #7, Golden#51. Other teams of note represented on here Purdue commit Carroll #44 and Iowa State commit Dykstra #92.Wisconsin was well represented as well.

Where did you find Rival's 2010 rankings? I can only see up to 2009 on their website.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3483221

Arizona no longer going after 1 and done prospects?

I believe that Wisconsin already has been subscribing to this philosophy (which is why I dont believe they are recruiting Jamil Wilson.)

The interesting part is that Olson says:

Olson said players should be able to declare for the NBA draft immediately after high school or be subject to a two- or three-year commitment to college.

Id be much more pleased with that system. It gives the play a choice to either go to college or the pros, and it gives the school some security that a player will be there more than 1 year.

The problem with that system is if your choice is go pro right out of high school or stay there for 2 or 3 years no one good is going to want to go to college. Then we're back to the huddled masses entering the draft and no one knowing what the hell you've got until 3 years down the road outside of the top 1% of players. DeAndre Jordan very likely would have been a top-5 pick if he could have declared right out of high school, after a year in college they saw he wasn't even close and slid considerably. It's better for the NBA and college basketball if these guys end up going to college, even if it's only for a year. If they're going to set it up like that, the NBDL has to become a more viable option as a minor league system so these guys aren't riding the bench in the NBA because they're not ready. They also might want to consider adding another round to the draft to accommodate a few more projects entering the draft.

It's better for the NBA and college basketball if these guys end up going to college, even if it's only for a year. If they're going to set it up like that,

Yeah my stance is what is worst fort he NCAA/NBA and best for players getting paid as soon as possible.

There is no reason why a player should risk millions of dollars just because they have to. You mention Deandre Jordan, its possible he never gets back to a top 5 pick, so the rule effectively may have cost him and his family millions of dollars.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 11, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Yeah my stance is what is worst fort he NCAA/NBA and best for players getting paid as soon as possible.

There is no reason why a player should risk millions of dollars just because they have to. You mention Deandre Jordan, its possible he never gets back to a top 5 pick, so the rule effectively may have cost him and his family millions of dollars.

If the NBA is THAT worried about it, maybe it should be more like MLB? Draft out of HS, if they want to go to college, they have to stay for three years or until they turn 21...and then go back into the draft. And like Zoom said...have a stronger NBDL.

Or they could do it more like the NHL...draft players and hold onto their rights while they play in college. But, then have a minimum of two years in college. To protect the player, the team can have a deferred bonus based upon draft position. To protect the team, they could use that deferred bonus as a buy-out...and the player can either re-enter the draft for that year or become a free agent or something like that.

The problem is protection for the teams AND the players. I'm sure there are problems with both scenarios, but it was a thought.

Do not be surprised if Angel Garcia is next to bolt to Europe and leave Memphis out in the cold. As I stated before I highly doubted that he would get the grades to allow him to play in college anyway, and from everything I've heard he is woefully short at this point. Jennings and Liggins were in the same boat and Jennings making the jump was not a surprise due to his grades, I'm not sure if Liggins has made the grade yet. Angel's only other option would be a JC, and the Europeans have been interested in him for a while.

Nathan Scheelhasse picks Illinois. Stud QB from Kansas City. Final four of OU, ILL, KU and Iowa with Mizzou and Nebraska rounding out his top six. Pretty good pickup for the Zooker. Could get the ball rolling on some other big recruits (i.e. Hawthorne) and help pick time with Appelton, Oku and others.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Nathan Scheelhasse picks Illinois. Stud QB from Kansas City. Final four of OU, ILL, KU and Iowa with Mizzou and Nebraska rounding out his top six. Pretty good pickup for the Zooker. Could get the ball rolling on some other big recruits (i.e. Hawthorne) and help pick time with Appelton, Oku and others.

He'll be the starting QB in either 2010 (if he can beat out McGee who would be a 5th year senior then) or 2011, and likely he'll redshirt in 2009. Either way, I think you'll see him a lot in an Illini uniform. Great get for Zook. I liked getting Charest last year, but Scheelhasse is the stud Illinois needed to be ready when Juice and McGee are gone, and is a perfect fit for the system.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Huge, Huge get for the Illini. This was a guy that had a lot of "connections" to other schools (Iowa and Oklahoma), but they still managed to get the kid. When the kid's dad played football at Iowa and they were able to pull him away, that really says something about Zook and his coaching staff.