Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
I recently finished the mini-series Band of Brothers and it was phenomenal. I know it's not a movie and this is a movie thread, but I figure a mini-series is close enough, so I thought I'd mention it. Definitely a very cool look at the march to Berlin from the paratrooper perspective, whereas most accounts I've seen/read are from guys that landed on the beaches on D-Day and went from there. Bastogne was hell. And it's definitely sad when you see how many of the original guys that trained at Camp Toccoa ended up dying or wounded pretty badly, but the series as a whole was great. Can't believe I waited so long to finally watch it.

Strange that you should mention this. I just finished the series a week ago. It was definitely awesome, and had some great characters. I guess my favorite character had to be Speirs, but close in second were Winters, Lipton, and Guarnere.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 11:57 PM)
The Hangover was the FUNNIEST movie I have ever seen. No questions asked. Absolutely hilarious.

I know movie taste is somewhat subjective, but this is a pretty ridiculous statement. I really liked this movie and all, but I can't even see there being an argument for funniest movie ever.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
Strange that you should mention this. I just finished the series a week ago. It was definitely awesome, and had some great characters. I guess my favorite character had to be Speirs, but close in second were Winters, Lipton, and Guarnere.

Yeah, I think a lot of people's favorite character would be Speirs or Winters. Speirs is just a regular badass. And Winters is essentially the main character and one hell of a leader. I liked Malarkey a lot too. Lipton reminds me of my brother, who was an NCO in the Marine Corps. Also liked Buck Compton a lot. Oh, and how about that little scene with Jimmy Fallon? They did a great job with casting, but that guy does not belong in a war movie, lol.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:17 AM)
Watched it when it first ran on HBO. Tremendous. Was hard having to wait a week for the next part.

Agreed, easily one of my all time favorites. Best war movie/series ever.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
Yeah, I think a lot of people's favorite character would be Speirs or Winters. Speirs is just a regular badass. And Winters is essentially the main character and one hell of a leader. I liked Malarkey a lot too. Lipton reminds me of my brother, who was an NCO in the Marine Corps. Also liked Buck Compton a lot. Oh, and how about that little scene with Jimmy Fallon? They did a great job with casting, but that guy does not belong in a war movie, lol.

I forgot about Buck. He, too, was great. And speaking of people who don't belong in a war movie, Simon Pegg was also an American soldier in one small scene.

EDIT: Oh yes, and the little Italian lost boy from Hook was Perconte, which was awesome.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
I forgot about Buck. He, too, was great. And speaking of people who don't belong in a war movie, Simon Pegg was also an American soldier in one small scene.

Really looking forward to his next movie with Frost, "Paul"

For those who care about such things....from Entertainment Weekly.com

Bradley Cooper may star as Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck and Liam Neeson as Col. John "Hannibal" Smith in 20th Century Fox's long-awaited movie adaptation of '80s action series The A-Team, Variety reports. Joe Carnahan is already set to direct, with production beginning in late August for a June 2010 release. Faceman is the role originally played by Dirk Benedict; Hannibal was George Peppard's character. The script will retain the series' premise -- four war vets wrongly convicted of armed robbery escape from military prison to carry out Robin Hood-like missions -- but will hew closer to a Mission: Impossible tone. The roles of "Howling Mad" Murdock and "B.A." Baracus are yet to be cast.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
Agreed, easily one of my all time favorites. Best war movie/series ever.

That series is definitely in my favorites as well. Around Christmas I bought the old man a blu-ray player and the Band of Brothers series. It has a time line that runs along the bottom with some cool extras, like more information about the characters, information about the current location and battles, maps and even some news reels that were shown during the war. It's a pretty sweet feature that allows you to get deeper into the whole ordeal while still watching the actual episodes.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
He fit perfectly for that character, or so it seemed based on descriptions of him.

Is the character boring, monotonous, and bland?

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)

Bradley Cooper may star as Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck and Liam Neeson as Col. John "Hannibal" Smith in 20th Century Fox's long-awaited movie adaptation of '80s action series The A-Team, Variety reports. Joe Carnahan is already set to direct, with production beginning in late August for a June 2010 release. Faceman is the role originally played by Dirk Benedict; Hannibal was George Peppard's character. The script will retain the series' premise -- four war vets wrongly convicted of armed robbery escape from military prison to carry out Robin Hood-like missions -- but will hew closer to a Mission: Impossible tone. The roles of "Howling Mad" Murdock and "B.A." Baracus are yet to be cast.

How did that series end?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
Schwimmer plays a very believable douchebag drill instructor.

Oh, we're still talking Band of Brothers. When someone typed "BOB". I thought it was a new movie coming out called "Bob".

Durrr me.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)

The film industry really is out of original ideas, aren't they.

Back to Band of Brothers, I know its said about every movie or series created but everyone should read the book by Stephen Ambrose. Actually anything by Ambrose is riveting. For as much as those men abhorred Sobel, they equally knew its was cause of him that they were so successful. The series really did an excellent job, though sobel is half the prick he is in the book.

QUOTE (Stocking @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
Back to Band of Brothers, I know its said about every movie or series created but everyone should read the book by Stephen Ambrose. Actually anything by Ambrose is riveting. For as much as those men abhorred Sobel, they equally knew its was cause of him that they were so successful. The series really did an excellent job, though sobel is half the prick he is in the book.

The book is good.

If anyone out there has yet to see Band of Brothers they should prioritize it. It was f***ing incredible... I watched it in college after it came to DVD and have sat through it at least 4 times.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
Final Destination movies suck, and what's up with this trend of sequels not being titled with the original movies? "The" Final Destination? "Rocky Balboa?" "Rambo" (which is Rambo 4 oversees.(

fast and furious

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
Final Destination movies suck, and what's up with this trend of sequels not being titled with the original movies? "The" Final Destination? "Rocky Balboa?" "Rambo" (which is Rambo 4 oversees.(

The first one was original from the other teen horror movies. The 2nd was bad. 3rd was ok. They are fun. That's all I expect.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
Don't care if it sucks. I will be seeing this.

There has to be some sort of M.Night twist here, because the whole "person foresees death, escapes death with a lot of people, people who escape now experience grisly deaths," is tiresome. What's especially tough here is there's no way to fight death, and from past movies, no escape. It eventually gets you.